• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
NO.

That is BS...
When every flight matters like the old navy system..THAT was pressure.

How so? The most stressful flight I went through under the Navy system was RI-17, all the rest didn't compare at all. Technically, RI-18 was the checkride, but if you did well on the pre-check then RI-18 was easy, since you had already proven yourself.

MasterBates

I think the grading system may be good for eliminating stan issues, by having a written criteria for a maneuver. I would like the old "system" with the MTPS grading if they wanted to address the stan issues.

HOWEVER, way too much trash coming out the back end of the program. I understand why the 'hook wings have been fighting it.

Not too long after the HTs went to this, we saw a lot of really weak H2Ps come out of the RAG. 18-20 months later, there started being a rash of 2Ps not making HAC. (Helo version of PPC/AC)

There were even a couple FNAEBs out of this. We had 2Ps that could ONLY fly with the OIC at night. The full-on MPTS system lets far too much trash escape.

I think the old system was fair, in that if you just had a bad fvcking day, you saw the man, but he also looked at all your grades and reputation. However, if you have too many bad days, there is a strong chance you were going to have more bad days, and more frequently than others in the fleet.

One of the weak 2Ps we had was more a consistency problem than anything else. He could outfly me, but would go brain-dead at the worst times. Fly with the guy all week, have 2 actual emergencies, and he handled them like a seasoned HAC would.

Then one day, day VFR takeoff from the boat, just drops the nose and chops power. We had a simlultaneous Power call from the LSO, me grabbing the controls, and the crewman screaming for power as well.

Then the next day, he brought his A-game. Never could figure out why he was like this. I talked to him (one of the more senior JO HACs at the time), Hinges talked to him, but it never changed. He's still flying. I just hope he doesn't get paired with a weak or trusting 2P, and ends up killing his crew or the deck crew on the boat. A

Like NATOPS I think the training system was written in blood. If an AF puke is weak, he is not going to have to land on a boat. Save the P3/E6 guys we all have to land on boats, whether you were #1 Stud with a 80 NSS or the retarded stickmonkey that barely made it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not too long after the HTs went to this, we saw a lot of really weak H2Ps come out of the RAG. 18-20 months later, there started being a rash of 2Ps not making HAC. (Helo version of PPC/AC)

There were even a couple FNAEBs out of this. We had 2Ps that could ONLY fly with the OIC at night. The full-on MPTS system lets far too much trash escape.

I think you're confusing the system w/ implementation. I agree there were a lot of weak nuggets that made it to the fleet, but that's because the IPs didn't initially follow the system (I'm basing this off of what I've read here over the last few years. Obviously it's not every IP). Now that people are better onboard w/ it (and lots of IPs went through it as studs), there's a better understanding. The MPTS system definitely works out of Primary, so there's no reason it can't work out of Advanced (helos or VT(j)) as long as it's implemented correctly.

For the record, though, I do like the idea of a AA, A, BA w/ the CTS of MPTS, but we all know that's not going to happen. I'm not really sure it would work, either, but that's a totally different argument.

KrazyKaptain

Tailhook selection

I just got E2/C2 out of primary, I wasn't really expecting it and thus haven't looked into it. I have heard C2s are a good deal, I haven't heard anything about E-2Cs. I have heard 75% get E-2Cs so I would like to know a little more about them. How are they for family life? Same amount of deployment /workup time as jets? Can you be a jet instructor at your first shore tour? what is the flying like, orbits at 20000 ft? any information would help.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just got E2/C2 out of primary, I wasn't really expecting it and thus haven't looked into it. I have heard C2s are a good deal, I haven't heard anything about E-2Cs. I have heard 75% get E-2Cs so I would like to know a little more about them. How are they for family life? Same amount of deployment /workup time as jets? Can you be a jet instructor at your first shore tour? what is the flying like, orbits at 20000 ft? any information would help.

Come on man, make your community proud: use the search function. There is a TON of info on here about both E-2s and C-2s. Trust me, one day you'll be overseas and will have to find information out on your own. Just get used to it. ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I'll just say that flying the C-2 or E-2 is boring. The boat has some excitement, helps make up for it. Shore basing also helps make up for the boring flying (CODs of course). Yes, you can be an IP in T-45's after your first sea tour.

MasterBates

If the Navy cared about your family life, they would issue one.

If one more guy asks "What about family life" or "how can I stay home all the time" I am going to bitchslap him into next month. You guys joined to be NAVAL AVIATORS.

Being gone, odd hours, and such are part of the deal.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
If the Navy cared about your family life, they would issue one.

If one more guy asks "What about family life" or "how can I stay home all the time" I am going to bitchslap him into next month. You guys joined to be NAVAL AVIATORS.

Being gone, odd hours, and such are part of the deal.

I thought it was a valid question. Some people still have families, and they wouldn't mind if they stuck around. I know we have had this debate before, but I don't think that it is a bad thing to base your selection preference on "family life", as some platforms are more suited to keeping a family than others.

Yes, I joined to be a NAVAL AVIATOR, but I am a husband/father first, and if I had to make a choice between the two in some strange scenario, I would choose my family in a heartbeat. In 10 years or so, I will be an ex-Naval Aviator...

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . I am a husband/father first, and if I had to make a choice between the two in some strange scenario, I would choose my family in a heartbeat.

A noble and heartwarming thought, but naive and unrealistic. Whether you know it or not, the Navy and the responsibilities that come with your wings will come first - always. It's been that way since the USS Constitution earned the name "Old Ironsides."

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kool.jpg

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
eh, I think e6 was speaking more along the lines of if he had to choose between continuing as an NA or his family, not "here come the Huns...I'm staying home"

plus I wanted to use the jpeg

As far as KrazyKaptain's question, it wasn't out of line at all. Not one bit.