• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Texan II at Whiting next week?

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
I still think they should just build new T-34's. Primary didn't need anything fancier than that for the basics.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I still think they should just build new T-34's. Primary didn't need anything fancier than that for the basics.

T-34 is too basic....this cockpit of the B looks a bit advanced for primary though. We could still be flying the Yellow Peril if basic is what we wanted. The T-6A I thought would have been a better choice. The ejection seats, the canopy view and protection, cost per flight hour, etc, etc makes a better airplane than the 34. The lack of beta is bad IMO.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Preliminary NFM is on the Airworthiness site for anyone who's a huge nerd and curious.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
T-34 is too basic....

The lack of beta is bad IMO.

That basic airplane can give me one hell of a helmet fire. :D

A rumor is going around that Waldron's runways will be too short for T-6 ops, so they're looking into re-opening NAS Chase Field up in Beeville, TX to use as an OLF. It's just a rumor, so don't quote me because I don't know shit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That basic airplane can give me one hell of a helmet fire. :D

Need to study more then :) My bet is a Cessna in the right environment could give you a helmet fire. The AF uses the plane (the A model), it works, can be done.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
T-34 is too basic....this cockpit of the B looks a bit advanced for primary though. We could still be flying the Yellow Peril if basic is what we wanted. The T-6A I thought would have been a better choice. The ejection seats, the canopy view and protection, cost per flight hour, etc, etc makes a better airplane than the 34. The lack of beta is bad IMO.

I'm a believer in the T-6. I loved it, but I'm partial too. It is a cross country machine, fun to fly, capable, has ejection seats, and best of all: new. Why reopen a production line for something that is old as dirt and won't keep up with where Naval Aviation is headed, rather than where it's been?

I think all the bells and whistles were built into the B's with a mind to go back to a primary - intermediate type syllabus, but that's baseless speculation based on something I think I might have read...it was floating around in the ether up there, so what better place to spew it than AW?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a believer in the T-6. I loved it, but I'm partial too. It is a cross country machine, fun to fly, capable, has ejection seats, and best of all: new. Why reopen a production line for something that is old as dirt and won't keep up with where Naval Aviation is headed, rather than where it's been?

I hear the same from other folks flying it. You have to improve at some point, have to move forward. There is a small contingent of 34 lovers at Whiting but luckily things are moving forward. I wouldn't mind flying it at all but probably will not get the chance as it sits...unless my "penciled in" is changed. Looks like a fun airplane though.

I think all the bells and whistles were built into the B's with a mind to go back to a primary - intermediate type syllabus, but that's baseless speculation based on something I think I might have read...it was floating around in the ether up there, so what better place to spew it than AW?

My old bud Kiko, in charge of the transition at Whiting, had said their goal is build an intermediate syllabus for those who select tailhook. Using the HUD, stepping up the speed in breaks and such, etc, etc.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
My old bud Kiko, in charge of the transition at Whiting, had said their goal is build an intermediate syllabus for those who select tailhook. Using the HUD, stepping up the speed in breaks and such, etc, etc.

I wonder how this will impact the tailhook pipeline. Most of the Phase I (intermediate) syllabus was just learning how to handle the speeds and handling characteristics of the T-45. I'm sure they could get rid of some of the instrument sims, and formation flights, however I sure wouldn't feel comfortable stepping into the Phase II syllabus without confidently knowing how to handle the jet. I felt I got everything out of the T-34 before stepping into a Jet. The T-6 will only be able to provide so much before needing to jump into the next platform. Sure, the Instrument phase would have been nicer in a slower aircraft with all those bells and whistles, but that faster speed is the main obstacle in the early instrument phases.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What are typical instrument approach speeds in a the 45? Everything prior to the flaps and gear in the T-6 was flown at 200.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
What are typical instrument approach speeds in a the 45? Everything prior to the flaps and gear in the T-6 was flown at 200.

Penetration approaches are flown at 250 knots (usually at idle + boards for parts).

Your standard GCA box is flown at 200 in the early stages... 250 on downwind once comfortable/instructor discretion.... Slow to 200 once on base, gear, half flaps, slow to on speed (usually 120-140 depending on fuel state).

The airspeeds are quite similar to the T-6, it was a straightforward transition for me. The hard part was learning how to fly a jet... T-6 stopped in mid air and dropped out of the sky when you when idle boards.... T-45 just keeps going, and going, and going.