• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I don't understand what your argument is. We shouldn't bring in the T-6 because we can do "just fine" with what we have? Come on, the T-34 is an archaic bird, and the fleet is moving towards all-or-mostly glass cockpits anyways... the JSF, the Osprey, the Shocker, the MMA...

This whole debate seems a classic case of "we've been doing it this way for so long, we can't change!!"

I just think there's a lot more the T-6 can bring to the table in TRACOM... granted, we'll have to give up on intersection holding... :eek:

Now if we can only dump the "everyone's gonna be trained to be a single-seater!!" mentality...

It wasn't really an argument per se, just commenting on Chuck's earlier post, guess I should've quoted it. By no means am I advocating the "we've always done it that way" train of thought. I was just saying that there are several aircraft in the Navy's inventory that aren't glass cockpits; I fly one of the ones that'll be around for quite some time.

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
I have a feeling it's a lot easier to train someone from a single-pilot mentality to work as a crew than it is to train someone who is completely crew oriented to fly as a single-pilot. There is merit to the process.

There have been numerous times where I found that if I wanted to live I had to go into single-pilot mode. The 53E is a little over-whelming at first for guys coming from the news-copter TH-57.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Whatever would we do!! I remember doing that in the T-34. What a red-a$$. You could theoretically do it in the T-45C with a VOR and a TACAN, we never did though.

Believe it or not..just like most of the manuevers in the FTI...pretty much an airwork and headwork drill..not done for practical knowledge.

People have been pressing for removal of Partial Panel work (Navy is the only service that trains on it), but a heavier partial panel knowledge may have saved the life of a good friend of mine...mishap report isn't out yet, but their last transmission talked about "loss of attitude gyro" at the ship at night...

Just a consideration before you go blasting flight school there nugget...:D

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
People have been pressing for removal of Partial Panel work (Navy is the only service that trains on it), but a heavier partial panel knowledge may have saved the life of a good friend of mine...mishap report isn't out yet, but their last transmission talked about "loss of attitude gyro" at the ship at night...

Just a consideration before you go blasting flight school there nugget...:D

They just put partial panel back in the syllabus here at HSL-40 because of recent mishaps. Its on the OFT Instrument sim hops now. I definitely think its something to be practiced and taught, one of the dudes in my class "crashed" in the sim from dual converter failure cause he didn't realize he'd lost his AI and still fixated on it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There have been numerous times where I found that if I wanted to live I had to go into single-pilot mode. The 53E is a little over-whelming at first for guys coming from the news-copter TH-57.

Flying a complex multi engine EMS helo single pilot was a HUGE transition for me coming from a "crew flown all the time, every time" Navy helo background...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The most capable (in a cockpit instrumentation way) aircraft the I have flown (not just a 1hr demo) is the TH-57C.

Least advanced is the SH60B. T34C is in the middle.

<Buzzer> sorry, wrong answer. I think you'd change your tune if you were single-piloted in the goo w/ a no-load in the front seat and getting bounced around while trying to tune the piece of crap, old school UHF. I sat in a -60B the other day at -40 and realized I had forgotten how big the AI was. How I missed it...

MasterBates

Gator, I was going off the aircraft capabilites, not who is flying it. I learned to fly helos single piloted in civvie land. Single pilot IFR can be a PITA, especially when the organic autopilot sucks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wasn't talking about who was flying it, either. I'm speaking strictly the cockpit layout and instruments. The attitude gyro in the -34 is sketchy. The layout is cluttered and difficult to scan. Comms selection is a joke, but understandable w/ a tandem cockpit and the addition of systems as time went by. The GPS is incredibly powerful, but clunky to operate quickly.

The layout of the (non-glass) -60x is simple and easy to scan. Instruments are nice and big, stable, and easy to read. And when one thing fails, you actually have backups (read: gyro). Having tapes is so much easier to scan for discrepancies.

Now, with all that said, I like the T-34. I'm very glad I'm flying it instead of the T-6 day to day. The T-6 would be sweet on CCX, but otherwise I'm glad I don't have to put all that crap on and take it off 2 or 3 times a day. And the 1.5-2 hours on the face leach for one (1) flight is plenty for me. As for steam gauges vs. glass...As someone said, the T-6 as well as the -60R/S don't really have anything more than the regular gauges in a video form (forgetting the HUD for the moment). So learning the gauge scan doesn't seem to be that big deal. Yes, I know some jet guys have to learn the HUD, but that's just an addition to your bag of tricks. You still need to fall back on the gauge scan should that thing fail, however rare that may be. When Navy primary makes the switch, they make the switch. Studs will complain about how complicated the systems are, then they'll say how glad they're flying the T-6. Life will go on.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HUD is a primary flight instrument in the Rhino... and if the actual HUD fails, you can bring the HUD data up on your DDI ;)

I hate partial panel in the Rhino... the standbys are in a very awkward place.