• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan

MasterBates

And when one thing fails, you actually have backups (read: gyro). .

Gator, if the NSIU fails, you can be SOL. We had 2 in the last 6 months, I was flying one of them. What NATOPS says will happen did not. New failure mode. Waiting for EI to be complete.

Me and the ASO lost everything but the turn needles behind the boat at about .3 DME. We were close enough I had a visual on HARS and flew visual the rest of the way in. 3 minutes later, and that would have been really ugly on takeoff. Was about 6-7% illumination, so there was not much of a horizon that night.

We got lucky it failed then. I'll take luck over skill for that night.

MasterBates

FWIW, the 60Bs instruments are pretty good. Just can be UGLY when they go bad, because bad gyros usually take AFCS with them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gator, if the NSIU fails, you can be SOL. We had 2 in the last 6 months, I was flying one of them. What NATOPS says will happen did not. New failure mode. Waiting for EI to be complete.

Me and the ASO lost everything but the turn needles behind the boat at about .3 DME. We were close enough I had a visual on HARS and flew visual the rest of the way in. 3 minutes later, and that would have been really ugly on takeoff. Was about 6-7% illumination, so there was not much of a horizon that night.

We got lucky it failed then. I'll take luck over skill for that night.

You're proving my point. Sh!t failed, you had a back up, the turn needles. Sure, partial panel sucks, especially if it's at a bad time, but it's still there to be used when the main system goes down. I'm guessing just about every other aircraft in the Navy/Marine fleet is set up that way. T-34, not so much.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HUD is a primary flight instrument in the Rhino... and if the actual HUD fails, you can bring the HUD data up on your DDI ;)

I hate partial panel in the Rhino... the standbys are in a very awkward place.

So when exactly would you need to fly partial panel anyway . . . when all FOUR of your displays fail? (I'd give you sh*t about the HUD but I have yet to be weaned from it myself . . .):D

All teasing aside, I'm curious.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So when exactly would you need to fly partial panel anyway . . . when all FOUR of your displays fail? (I'd give you sh*t about the HUD but I have yet to be weaned from it myself . . .):D

All teasing aside, I'm curious.

Precisely... lose the generators and you have to fly on partial panel. If you had an MC1 failure on a lower lot jet it would be a problem too I believe (gotta dig in NATOPS for that one). Higher lots, MC1 and MC2 task share.