• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan

MasterBates

Also makes the St Augustine and Melbourne VOR-DMEs into a *******ized TACAN. Punch the VOR freq into the radio, switch to ADF, and tune the TACAN to the DME channel. Use #1 needle vice #2.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have an RMI? Why would you ever punch it into the ADF... or does your RMI not support a VOR needle?

MasterBates

We have an RMI/HSI love child known as the BDHI.

VOR freq in the radio, becuase we do not have a stand alone ADF or VOR.

TACAN is the only "legal" navigation system on the SH60B.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have an RMI/HSI love child known as the BDHI.

VOR freq in the radio, becuase we do not have a stand alone ADF or VOR.

TACAN is the only "legal" navigation system on the SH60B.

Goootcha. Nice little work around.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
But the T-6 has the most important part that the 34 doesn't. An ejection seat!

USFpilot06

pilot
I have heard a few horror stories about the T6, blown tires, avionics suite failure, fuel leaks in the cockpit, anyone wanna chime in on this...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Tires are pretty sh*tty... wear out way to fast...
Never had a complete avionics failure (or heard of one), but my transponder took a while to kick in the other day... had to reset the RMU twice and recycle the avionics master a couple times... that I have heard of a bit in the T-6
The ICS is problematic... in and out alot. You play the cord switch game a bunch in the T-6.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Plus, it's fun to brief..."Point the Aircraft towards an uneducated area, open the canopy, climb on the wing and dive towards the trailing edge..."

Ya know, as a stud, the IPs would always roll their eyes when briefing bailing out. Being the brainchild I was, I could actually visualize doing it! My fellow studs and I use to have lengthy discussions on the how's and whys of climbing out on the wing tip and "rolling" off because of the negative air pressure on the wing holding you on.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Honestly though - I think the Navy is going to find itself training people who aren't ready for modern aircarft. Training people for warfare in modern aircraft in a traininer that uses analog gauges, no electric trim, and no systems management functions seems backwards. Kids need to learn from day one on glass MFD's, GPS, etc.

The principals of power and attitude still apply - but do we have to dumb down our students (and the reputation of our service) by makingthem fly analog gauge aircraft with no autonated systems to manage?

I bet the USCG eventually says "screw this" and lets the AF to their UPT..

Tracom is behind the times. Slow adoption of The Texan II is hurting Naval Aviation big time.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
But why would you need an ejection seat? The T-34 is a glider with a big engine on the front.

Are you kidding me? What happens if you get into an unrecoverable spin or spiral? Or your engine quits shortly after takeoff with out any place to go and you dont have enough altitude to "jump" out? Or you hit another T-34/T-6 in Form? Dude there are a sh!t ton of reasons to have an ejection seat. I bet if you asked the helo bubbas, they would want one. Lets see, auto rotate or pull the freakin handle? The seat is the ultimate safety device. You pray you never need it, but it one heck of an insurance policy when your plane decides it doesnt want to fly anymore. I can think of a million reasons to have one and cant think of one reason not to.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Are you kidding me? What happens if you get into an unrecoverable spin or spiral? Or your engine quits shortly after takeoff with out any place to go and you dont have enough altitude to "jump" out? Or you hit another T-34/T-6 in Form? Dude there are a sh!t ton of reasons to have an ejection seat. I bet if you asked the helo bubbas, they would want one. Lets see, auto rotate or pull the freakin handle? The seat is the ultimate safety device. You pray you never need it, but it one heck of an insurance policy when your plane decides it doesnt want to fly anymore. I can think of a million reasons to have one and cant think of one reason not to.

I may be wrong sir but I think he was being sarcastic...