• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan

Rocky3168

any word on the T-6 Texan replacing the T-34 in the near future for Naval pilot training or is it still unknown?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Only forecasted dates and those aren't worth mentioning because it will probably be longer. If you plan on coming through in the next 5 years then you won't see it...next 10 years you probably won't see it...15 years...maybe...

Besides the T34C is a good aircraft and a lot of fun to fly.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Let's put it this way. In 1985 when I applied to AOCS and was discussing the training track with the recruiter he noted that I would fly the T-2 in Intermediate if I went jets. "Of course by the time you get there in 1987 all the T-2's will be replaced by T-45's." Here we are 21 years later and what do SNFO's fly in VT-10/86? Yep T-2's, At least they have T-2C's now as opposed to the B's I flew.

In other words. Don't bother pondering it.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Yep, holding your breath is not in order. Going through primary in '99 they had brand-spanking new pics of the Texan II under thick plastic where you would sign out the T-34's. One of my instructors pointed it out saying "Too bad you're gonna miss out on the JPATS... it will be here in a year or two and it will be cool to fly".

Then I saw an update with the time being closer to 2003. Then it looked like Air Force primary would get them (2002/2003?, which they did) and the Navy would be just a year or two behind. So they are at Pensacola for the NFO's, but not for the SNA's at Whiting/Corpus.

I'm thinking my 3 year old son might have a chance to be part of the first class at Whiting to finally strap that plane on when he goes to primary.

And the T-34 is a lot of fun to fly.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Not until the make most of the runways in corpus longer :D

Its more the runways at Whiting and the OLFs around there over the NGP runways that are the problem. 6000' at NSE and 4k or so at the OLFs. And like everyone else said....the T-34 is a blast to fly. Great little airplane to learn in. That and the T-6 just looks ugly in the blue and white paint job with those chicken legs for landing gear.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Echo all of the above... also, the T-6A doesn't have a TACAN, NDB or BETA... though it is a great little aircraft to fly in, and the IPs love it for the most part.

Agree with greg... the blue/whit USAF paint scheme is fugly... I kinda like the orange/white USN tracom paint...

Also... VT-10 doesn't have any T-2s anymore... just T-6's and T-1's... All the T-2s are at -86.

Cheers,
Bubba

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
any word on the T-6 Texan replacing the T-34 in the near future for Naval pilot training or is it still unknown?

300-kts, that's cool...it ain't your mamma's T-34...but, you have a face leech all the time. SCREW THAT! Plus, it's fun to brief..."Point the Aircraft towards an uneducated area, open the canopy, climb on the wing and dive towards the trailing edge..."

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Echo all of the above... also, the T-6A doesn't have a TACAN, NDB or BETA... though it is a great little aircraft to fly in, and the IPs love it for the most part.

Bah, don't need NDB. Most Fleet aircraft won't have it as far as I understand.

Agree with greg... the blue/whit USAF paint scheme is fugly... I kinda like the orange/white USN tracom paint...

There is something wrong with you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most fleet aircraft don't have BETA either ;)

We use the residual energy stored up in our pods' magnetrons to spin the RAT generators backwards to reduce our landing rollout.
AN_ALQ-99%20jammer%20pod,%20stbd,%20from%20front%20stbd%20qtr,%20GJT,%209-97%20x.jpg

Brett