• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 vs Bird HUD Video

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Anyone else remember "hand propping" the rotor to unload the Nf Turbine and get a faster spool up / less chance of overtemp?

Did it on the several solo cross country's I observed after I got my wings. No way in hell was I gonna overtemp at some random field and have to call base on that one. Even doing that, we still came close on one battery start. SLAB or not, it's easy to get that motor hot.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I did a lot of the propping, plus gas-ON GAS-OFF gas-on GAS-OFF to get it to spool up without overtemp.

The modulating start was a no-no as per 8's SOP, but never said anything about hand propping. Hot starts happened but weren't as common as they used to be. The SLAB did a good job on battery only starting if it had a decent charge, but as Murphy would have it, every time I was in the helo and had to do a battery start, damn thing had almost no juice.