• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 vs Bird HUD Video

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For every SNA in out there answer this one question. On the day of your winging, can you go back and pass a BI/RI or AN check ride? If you took any time to answer that question we have issues. Can lead a horse to water but can't force him to drink. Days of block training and data dump are over in Intermediate's but fact is, it happens.
As someone fairly recently winged, I would say yes to that question; don't know how the curriculum was structured in past with intermediates, but TS now has late stage airnavs built into the curriculum so you can't do that. As a matter of fact, depending on your training flow, your last flight may be an out/in airnav solo.

As someone fairly recently winged, I would say yes to that question; don't know how the curriculum was structured in past with intermediates, but TS now has late stage airnavs built into the curriculum so you can't do that. As a matter of fact, depending on your training flow, your last flight may be an out/in airnav solo.

Congrats on Wings of Gold.

This in a generalization but fact is most have to go back and review procedures that should not have to. Yes AN's and even solo's saved for CQ but checkride was while back.

LOL ....stress the word SOLO in this case. Funny story but not appropiate for this thread but those involved know.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
As a matter of fact, depending on your training flow, your last flight may be an out/in airnav solo.

Generally one of the last flights in Maritime advanced is the Airnav solo. Great flight. Makes you really see that you can get it done.

And yes.;)

Nose

pilot
First off.... is that not what Intermediate flight training is about?

If you are telling me that the goal in intermediate is to teach a SNA to not overspeed gear and flaps, then I'll ask A4s to join me in weeping.

We don't want robots. Need them to have solid SA, airmanship, and decision making process.

...so that's why you don't let them decide to raise gear and flaps themselves, they have to ask? Doesn't seem like a good way to build solid airmanship, and good decision making processes.

This ties directly into the subject of this thread.
'Bird strike on takeoff....lost your engine....NATOPS says to eject....what do you do?'

My initial point had nothing to do with the emergency, which seemed to me like they handled pretty well. (I'm not a T-45 guy, though). My point is why do you not train an aviator to be an aviator?

If they are robots or lack that decision making process,
because you haven't taught them to think for themselves?
we just lost a jet.

No emergency is the same. Is there any one right or wrong way to handle an emergency? Answer to that is no. So I for one want the hear the so called "Touch-feely BS".

I didn't realize cleaning up the jet was an emergency - that thing much be a handful!

If you are telling me that the goal in intermediate is to teach a SNA to not overspeed gear and flaps, then I'll ask A4s to join me in weeping.!

Wow need to get over it and look at big picture. No one ever said "the goal of intermediate was to not overspeed the gear". Your arguement was saying it was BS to have to do it and a harassment. The calling of gear/flaps is a learning objective...let make my self clear..."A" learning objective...one of many in the program, that is teaching more then the obvious....and also it is good crew coordination in multi crew cockpit (yes still multi crew) . IP's and more to the point CNATRA believes in it and set procedures. It is same as going hot mike in low altitude region....safety. Procedure would not be in place if wasn't good reason so some history to it in past. Some of those being, settling on takeoff on BI flight because SNA raised flaps less then 140kts....raising flaps off low key after putting them down and settling, split slats caused by putting flaps down under G in break (T45 specific), overspeeding the gear in break at 300kts.

oh by the way, should never be acceptable to overspeed the gear because of a pilot error. Poor airmanship and don't know many that are proud of it because of undue maintenance hours created...especially in the fleet with enlisted crew and now have to stay late.

...so that's why you don't let them decide to raise gear and flaps themselves, they have to ask? Doesn't seem like a good way to build solid airmanship, and good decision making processes. I didn't realize cleaning up the jet was an emergency - that thing much be a handful!

Actually makes complete sense for reasons stated earlier. Teach them right in first place. Is that not what they are doing? The learning point from day one is not just simply put gear and flaps up or down. The learning objective ...let me make this clear again. "A" learning objective is to think about it by knowing airspeed, and situation etc...instead of just slapping the handle up/down. This makes complete sense in an instruction world especially when their first hop in jet is in back, under hood, doing instrucment takeoff and fighting battle of the thrust/tumbling/vertigo effect. And especially makes sense in an emergency scenario when time compression takes effect and they gonna find themselves solo more then half the time in program.

If calling for the gear is a harassment...then they have no idea what they are in for in RAG's when F18 IP's will crap all over you for wrong scale on HSI in takeoff/landing environment and wrong displays up on appropiate side at certain phases of flight.

MasterBates

They have better batteries now? I remember when GPU Starts were about the only "normal" starts, and battery starts often involved "funking" with the twist grip to keep from overtemping.

They have better batteries now? I remember when GPU Starts were about the only "normal" starts, and battery starts often involved "funking" with the twist grip to keep from overtemping.
Dunno if they still had NICAD while you were going through - using SLABs now. But, yes, battery starts can be fun.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Dunno if they still had NICAD while you were going through - using SLABs now. But, yes, battery starts can be fun.
"okay, pull all of these circuit breakers... get Nf up as high as you can... now introduce fuel... monitor... monitor.... whew, good start."

MasterBates

Anyone else remember "hand propping" the rotor to unload the Nf Turbine and get a faster spool up / less chance of overtemp?