• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45 vs Bird HUD Video

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
SMA's hands off the PCL (aka- start) to be on hot-mic. Perhaps the IP isn't paying as much attention as the SMA (especially in later FAMS) and if the SMA does something and the IP disagrees, results can be disasterous as was shown above..

What the hell is this SMA bs...You're a Student Naval Aviator on a Naval
Aviation forum...its SNA...forget that Air Force shit

tiger84

LT
pilot
What the hell is this SMA bs...You're a Student Naval Aviator on a Naval
Aviation forum...its SNA...forget that Air Force shit

Roger that. It makes me cringe reading SMA in the damn FTI and the Master Curriculum Guide. If I wanted to be an SMA I would have joined the Air Force and gotten me one of those snazzy ascots.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Stan notes say that you keep you hand on the condition lever until the starter is off IIRC.

It may be different between Corpus and Whiting but I seem to recall that after I'd put the condition lever to idle that I'd go back to the PCL so I could call out gauges as they rose during light off/start.

Gator or any other ip, care to chime in if the hand on the condition lever is stan procedures for Whiting?

Congrats!

Thanks, it's nice to be done....now just crossing the fingers I get to go to SERE after the rag.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still can't believe they let us do that solo!
What is this "gun pattern" you speak of? Although the Weps pattern had plenty of opportunities for buffoonery . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It may be different between Corpus and Whiting but I seem to recall that after I'd put the condition lever to idle that I'd go back to the PCL so I could call out gauges as they rose during light off/start.

Gator or any other ip, care to chime in if the hand on the condition lever is stan procedures for Whiting?

As far as I know, that's still what they're teaching. Calling out the numbers are not required, but makes sense for a new guy so that a) the IP knows he's looking and b) makes the new guy actually look at the gauges. When I get into the rut, I make myself say the gauges out loud because sometimes I notice I'm not actually looking at them just due to sheer repetition. By verbalizing them over the ICS, it refocuses my attention on what's important.

I've had one or two hung starts and one fairly hot start (w/ a good start, just really warm) and none of them took me by surprise. There's plenty of time to move from the PCL to the condition lever as long as you're paying attention.

Again, not saying that TW-4's policy is "bad" or that you should ignore it. Just a different way of doing things.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As far as I know, that's still what they're teaching. Calling out the numbers are not required, but makes sense for a new guy so that a) the IP knows he's looking and b) makes the new guy actually look at the gauges. When I get into the rut, I make myself say the gauges out loud because sometimes I notice I'm not actually looking at them just due to sheer repetition. By verbalizing them over the ICS, it refocuses my attention on what's important.

I've had one or two hung starts and one fairly hot start (w/ a good start, just really warm) and none of them took me by surprise. There's plenty of time to move from the PCL to the condition lever as long as you're paying attention.

Again, not saying that TW-4's policy is "bad" or that you should ignore it. Just a different way of doing things.

We DO call out numbers and communicate during the start. That's why we're on hot mic. I'll usually just go per the checklist (CL: fthr, ITT&N1: monitor) and then call out when ITT has peaked and N1 stable at XX%. Once I confirm good start, cold mic. Seems to work well for us, but what do I know?:)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We DO call out numbers and communicate during the start. That's why we're on hot mic. I'll usually just go per the checklist (CL: fthr, ITT&N1: monitor) and then call out when ITT has peaked and N1 stable at XX%. Once I confirm good start, cold mic. Seems to work well for us, but what do I know?:)

Yes, I realize that. I have actually flown w/ TW-4 guys. But if you'll notice IBB's post, he was asking about TW-5. Per the brand-spanking new instruction that just came out last week, no gauge calls are required on start for TW-5. It's been that way since I was a student. I also always called the gauges as a stud and later in the fleet. I also had my onwings call it (or didn't stop them if they did call it, which they all did). All I was saying is that it's not required, per SOP, while using the PTT, which was the question.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes, I realize that. I have actually flown w/ TW-4 guys. But if you'll notice IBB's post, he was asking about TW-5. Per the brand-spanking new instruction that just came out last week, no gauge calls are required on start for TW-5. It's been that way since I was a student. I also always called the gauges as a stud and later in the fleet. I also had my onwings call it (or didn't stop them if they did call it, which they all did). All I was saying is that it's not required, per SOP, while using the PTT, which was the question.

Gotcha.

What is this "gun pattern" you speak of? Although the Weps pattern had plenty of opportunities for buffoonery . . .

Gun pattern was based of the old F14 tomcat pattern. Imagine if you will, T-45 or T-2 towing a banner at 180kts and a division of aircraft doing figure 8's perpendicular to banner aircraft flight path. This stage was one of the best learning tools in the program. Was a building stone from Weps to ACM. Taught not only how to talk and turn but also look out doctrine and changes in a ever changing dynamic environmet....more so then weps.

The best part of this pattern was with a good experienced tow, as long as student executed waveoff technique, you could have three ragin solos out there.

It was decided over 6 years ago to get rid of Guns due to cost, does not mirror the fleet gun pattern, unsafe, a FITREP bullet, blah blah blah. Fact was once guns went away, there was a direct affect in SNA's performance in ACM. They did not have the talk and turn and SA ability that those going through Guns developed. They eventually did learn but were behind peers.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was decided over 6 years ago to get rid of Guns due to cost, does not mirror the fleet gun pattern, unsafe, a FITREP bullet, blah blah blah. Fact was once guns went away, there was a direct affect in SNA's performance in ACM. They did not have the talk and turn and SA ability that those going through Guns developed. They eventually did learn but were behind peers.
I guess I could see that. I did average to slightly above in ACM gradewise and still had a couple "Tiger 2, break right uh, left, uh . . . crap . . . " moments in 3 plane.

Teach them correctly, and you don't need them to "tell you what they are thinking" or any other touchy-feely bs, you will know it.

Oh this makes for interesting discussion.

First off.... is that not what Intermediate flight training is about? We are teaching them the fundamental tools to succeed in the RAG and Fleet. We don't want robots. Need them to have solid SA, airmanship, and decision making process. This ties directly into the subject of this thread.
'Bird strike on takeoff....lost your engine....NATOPS says to eject....what do you do?'

If they are robots or lack that decision making process, we just lost a jet. As with all emergencies, what do you do? Well I would hope almost everyone would say "well it depends". Execute Bold face? What about assesments....what is my altitude, airspeed, distance from field, is engine core rotating providing me HYD's, weather, approach etc. No one out of T-34 has those skills or even thought about things like this. The thought process the crew in this thread executed are worth thinking about, learning what goods and bads happened, and filing that into your own skill bank to recall god for bid the time ever came where they found themselves needing those skills.

No emergency is the same. Is there any one right or wrong way to handle an emergency? Answer to that is no. So I for one want the hear the so called "Touch-feely BS". I want to know what the students thought process is. Because if he doesn't have a good decision making process or has an unsafe/lacking decision making process, do we pass him on his Fam safe for solo check ride and let him solo?

As for
Teach them correctly, and you don't need them to "tell you what they are thinking" or any other touchy-feely bs, you will know it.
...I needed a good laugh. How one person with 2500 hours handles an emergency is different from one with 5000 hours and even for sure someone with...what is is it 71 hours now coming into T-45's?

For every SNA in out there answer this one question. On the day of your winging, can you go back and pass a BI/RI or AN check ride? If you took any time to answer that question we have issues. Can lead a horse to water but can't force him to drink. Days of block training and data dump are over in Intermediate's but fact is, it happens.