• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 (and others) goof-ups

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
stud goes up on a PA solo..thinks its the greatest thing to take his helmet off and snap a picture while doing aerobatics i believe. His helmet slides all the way to the rear seat and falls. Luckily his ICS cord did not disconnect and he pulled it back up to the front seat and put it back on. I could just imagine if he had to RTB with no helmet on.

I hope this genius waited until he was winged to tell the story...

Screamtruth

นักมวย
usmcecho4 said:
IFS half way through a cross country I was taxing back to the runway for takeoff when I see a two prop continental commuter plane doing it's warm up. I pause for a moment thinking about the video I saw of a 747 blowing cars away with its engines. Dumb person that I am I figure that this small plane won't be able to screw with me so long as I keep on the yellow line (afterall he was in the warm up area and far away from where I was going to taxi). Plus the Ground wouldn't have cleared me for takeoff if taxing to the runway was going to blow me over...right? So, I taxi behind him and my mighty 172 does a 90 degree turn into his propwash which causes me to make use of the BICYCLE gear on my plane. I turn into it the wind, hope the continental doesn't have rearview mirrors, think about how dumb I was and proceed to taxi to the runway. Lesson: everything can blow a 172 away and I'm an idiot.

Semper Fi,
usmecho4
Beautiful.

Semper Fi back at ya.

A grown man can fart you off the taxiway in a 172. I had a lesson over here at Hobby airport in Houston, and I took it with a CFII in a Grumman Cheetah. Hobby is Class B, controlled airport, so I took the lesson since it had been a while since I had operated in a controlled environment, seeing how my home base is uncontrolled. We get up, play around in the practice area for a while, all the time I am getting used to the Cheetah and diggin' it right. ATC starts vectoring me in for an approach on 4 and has to spin me cause a Lear is on my a$$ and I am too slow. So, we get spun once around and start back in on a long final, the whole time which I am at full power trying not cause a freakin traffic jam on the arrival runway. We get about a mile or so from the numbers, and I start to cut power and drop the flaps; did a scan, airspeed, alt, and descent rate all good. While on the final, I look out and see a Delta MD-88 at the ILS hold short line at the threshold of 4. No worries right? Well, as I am about 3/4 of a mile or so, the tower clears this fool for departure. Let's see, MD-88 vs. Grumman Cheetah. Nope, doesn't work. As the MD-88 rotates, I start the flare, and run into his jet wash, which was the scariest thing I have had happen to me. I lost a lot of airspeed right about the time I hit ground effect, so maintaining the flare, I added power, so then I floated, got out of ground effect, then pulled power and the stall horn goes nuts. Anyways, between the intermittent stall, ground effect, and fighting the CFII, I eventually got on the ground. Turns out that the controller was a newbie in training, which is common at the field.
I swallowed my Skoal too.

Sucked.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
Screamtruth said:
Turns out that the controller was a newbie in training, which is common at the field.
Sucked.

Too bad we discover this at the most inoppertune times. I was doing IFS at Pensacola regional on my second solo, and I was cleard to land on an extended final behind a large passenger jet (I don't know my passenger jets, but it was slightly smaller than a 737). I thought to myself that I might encounter a wake turbulence situation so I made up my mind to low approach. When the big jet was about 45 seconds from touchdown, the tower controller cleared a Citiation to take the runway and takeoff. I got to see a passenger jet full of people do a hiyacca go-around and "go around the box". My next one was a full stop, and after the passenger jet cleared the active, the tower appologized for the mistake, and the pilot said he understood. He knew his three C's!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BOMBSonHAWKEYES said:
Too bad we discover this at the most inoppertune times.

It's always funny in Meridian, when right when you start wondering how jacked up the controller is . . . the voice on the radio suddenly changes. Student pilots, student controllers . . . recipe for occasional mild chaos.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
It's always funny in Meridian, when right when you start wondering how jacked up the controller is . . . the voice on the radio suddenly changes. Student pilots, student controllers . . . recipe for occasional mild chaos.

You know that whole slow down to 200 knots 5-6 miles before FAF and dirty up and get on-speed 3-5 miles before the FAF? The second I hear "supervised controller", I'm pushing the MAX distance for those numbers. Those guys can really give you a headache and sometimes try and kill you. Nothing like them trying to line you up on the wrong runway with traffic coming from the initial. THAT will get your attention.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its not much better in the fleet. Dark @ss night 007 OVC 5BR, just back from an initial LLL shoot with a mild case of the leans and a 1stLt too dumb to be scared in the back seat so you're flying it from the front (no VSI by the way in front) and you hear:
"Camp Pendleton student final controller how do you hear?"

"Loud and clear, put the supervisor on"

On the flip side I try to do a couple of PARs day VFR so they can train their guys.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Now that I'm out of primary I can share a few of the things I (or the IP with me) did during my time in T-34 Land.

Get out to the aircraft on a mid-stage FAM with the Ops-O. Preflight good, get ready to strap in and can't find my right glove. Anywhere. So I end up having to go out to my car and retrieve my other pair of gloves while the IP hangs out by the plane. We get out to the ground run-up and I do the control checks. The IP comes on the ICS and says that if I give full right rudder he can retrieve my glove from his left rudder pedal.

PA-1 doing a practice PEL to an OLF. I line up beautifully! Perfect altitude, wing-tip distance, airspeed, everythings great. I get to my crosswind and I hear the IP on the UHF to the RDO:
IP: "Hey, are we the only ones in the pattern?"
RDO: "Just you"
IP "We're doing a practice PEL in the wrong direction, but we'll take it down to the deck."

Proves the old saying: "If everything is going really well on a flight, you've forgotten something."

During the pre-taxi checklist for a mid-stage fam I call ground and request Taxi clearance. They give it to me and then I hear this from my IP over the UHF.

IP on UHF: "North Whiting Ground, Shooter 123 request back-taxi to the right"
Me on ICS: "Sir, we always taxi to the right from this row."
IP on ICS: "What? We do?"
Me on ICS: "Yes, Sir. The only row that turns left is Echo."
Ground on UHF: "Ummm....Shooter 123, what's your parking spot?"
Me on UHF: "Bravo 23"
Ground on UHF: "Ummm....taxi as requested."
IP on ICS: "F***ing Mondays!"

Finally, on PA-6 (last aerobatic flight with an IP) I get started on my maneuvers and pull into a beautiful loop. About 2/3 of the way through the loop, just as I'm thinking it's going to be perfect, I remember that I'm supposed to be doing a 1/2 Cuban 8. So I start to roll left, remember that the T-34 rolls more efficiently to the right, reverse my roll to the right and then pull back to wings level.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I flew with the DO a week ago (the AF version of an XO) and he did the full stop landing so he could stay current on his AOA patterns. He then gave me the plane back on the taxi way to drive it home. I thought I had cleaned up the after landing checklist, but as we were climbing down off the wing the crew chief gave us that you guys are idiots look and said, "Sir, did you leave the flaps down for a reason?" He didn't hook me for it, I think because he missed it too. I thought I was going to get away with it until one of the guys in my class went out to the same plane for his solo and had to make a big deal about it since he had never seen it before. Almost bought me the bone-head award of the week.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
I thought I was going to get away with it until one of the guys in my class went out to the same plane for his solo and had to make a big deal about it since he had never seen it before.

"Oh my God, the FLAPS ARE DOWN!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO"

What a jerk-off. I hope you made twice as big a deal about him being such a Nancy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
"Sir, did you leave the flaps down for a reason?" Almost bought me the bone-head award of the week.
You're lucky the Tower didn't see you and think you had been hijacked. When I was going through we had a guy do that and security met the plane on the ramp with guns drawn. Very embarrassing.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
zab1001 said:
"Oh my God, the FLAPS ARE DOWN!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO"

What a jerk-off. I hope you made twice as big a deal about him being such a Nancy.

Seriously, what a dickhead.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Brett327 said:
You're lucky the Tower didn't see you and think you had been hijacked. When I was going through we had a guy do that and security met the plane on the ramp with guns drawn. Very embarrassing.

Brett
That quit being a hijack signal a while ago - at least for civilain aircraft and airlines. And since we don't change our procedures when landing at military or joint use airfields, I assume it does not mean anything to the controllers at those either.

KBayDog

Brett327 said:

Brett

Did they think the stud hijacked the IP, or vice-versa?