• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 (and others) goof-ups

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Yeah, just a few.

So, I'm a newly winged pilot (no, really I am) and about to go solo for the first time (in three years) in a C-152 after getting an hour checkout a week prior. You know, spreading my wings a little...
Well, get the preflight done, engine started, and ready to taxi. Give a little gas, rpm's rise, but I don't go anywhere. Give a little more gas, wiggle the rudder a little in case I'm stuck in a crack or something, still don't go anywhere. Check parking brake off, so try again, still nothing. Open the door, stick my head under the fuse to check the wheels and lo and behold, chocks are still under the nose wheel! Of course there's no lineman to pull them for me (hopefully there wouldn't be one stupid enough to try it anyway since the engine is running). Shut the engine down, pull chocks, "let's try again...".

Fast forward about 3 months. I've learned my lesson and about to take a warm-up flight in a 172. On preflight I put the chocks under the left main mount to remind myself (I had to go back into the FBO to call the fuel truck). Fueled up, engine started, give a little gas....don't go anywhere. Sure enough, a peak out the window reveals the chocks still under the wheel. Fortunately, being the limber Marine that I am, I'm able to unstrap and lean out far enough to pull them out without having to shut the engine down. Of course my dignity is no longer in tact.
That is funny sh$t.

I've left the tie downs on a Piper Seneca and it was about the same result.

The whole crowd at the FBO cheered when I got out and fixed the problem.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Okay, here's my screw-up: I pulled 114.8 for 1.5 seconds the other day while doing TLA approaches out at one of the OLFs. Luckily, I realized just what was going on at the time and only over-torqued, because it could have been a very hard landing if I hadn't. Didn't have to ride the shame mobile back, but I was still pretty pissed at myself.

More details via PM if any helo bubbas are interested.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Mefesto said:
There are those who have done that, and those who will... I'm guilty of it.

Can't wait for that to happen in the Harrier!

-- "Hmmm, nozzles to hover stop--power coming up..."
:icon_smil

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiosity, can you guys ease backwards on the ground? I would imagine w/ the nozzle stops, it might not be possible, but maybe the ducted air can push a bit. I've done it once or twice in the helo when I've taxied too far, but it was slow and pretty impractical. Kind of funny to watch the lineman though.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Technically you could, but FOD would be a REAL hazard at that point (exhaust gases blowing crap forward of the intakes) so we don't. We do put the nozzles a few degrees past 90* on landing rollout to aid in slowing down, but deceling through 60 knots we put them aft to prevent FODing the engine.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Makes sense, didn't think about how much bigger and lower your vaccuum hole is.

Prashant Patel

Amateurs ! We've had a couple bungle-ups here in Corpus. A month ago a stud and IP from VT-27 had an inadvertant gear-up landing during a practice LAPL/P while a solo from -28 executed a break over rwy 35 but rolled out on rwy 31 instead. My favorite story though, has to be of one our guys in -28 who accidentally left the fire warning test switch on 3 instead of turning it off and then moved on in the checklist. When he looked up and saw the fire light flashing, he panicked and started rambling through the engine fire procedures. Needless to say, IP had a ball of a time with that.
As for my own goof-ups, I remember telling my onwing during an early contact flight that the uniform radio wasn't working. Thats when he familiarized me with the "Dim" switch. Being the retard that I am, I had to get another lesson from another IP about how the TACAN/VOR ALSO have a dimmer switch. I won't even go into the damning story of how I was trying to put the exhuast stack covers on the propeller blades ( screw logic !) while tying down our T-34 at Corpus Intl last night.......

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
paddle562 said:
My favorite story though, has to be of one our guys in -28 who accidentally left the fire warning test switch on 3 instead of turning it off and then moved on in the checklist. When he looked up and saw the fire light flashing, he panicked and started rambling through the engine fire procedures. Needless to say, IP had a ball of a time with that.
My Primary FAM-8 (Okay, C4203, whatever):

Starting the engine up, just as I first scan the lineman for fire indications, my IP (of course) asks if I'm scanning the lineman. I say yes sir, of course, and think to myself "why is he giving me the figure-8 . . . OH SH!T!" Run through the Fire on Startup procedures, pull the T-handle and hear over ICS words to the effect of "okay, good job, you caught that, let's start it up again . . ."

"Umm . . . sir? We can't. I pulled the T-handle. I really pulled it."

"You did WHAT?"

"You never told me that that was a simulated fire."

*cricket . . . cricket . . . *

:D

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
paddle562 said:
Amateurs ! We've had a couple bungle-ups here in Corpus. A month ago a stud and IP from VT-27 had an inadvertant gear-up landing during a practice LAPL/P while a solo from -28 executed a break over rwy 35 but rolled out on rwy 31 instead. My favorite story though, has to be of one our guys in -28 who accidentally left the fire warning test switch on 3 instead of turning it off and then moved on in the checklist.

Pink sheets for everyone!!!!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i know the posting is a bit late but i heard this one when i was back in primary in Corpus:

stud goes up on a PA solo..thinks its the greatest thing to take his helmet off and snap a picture while doing aerobatics i believe. His helmet slides all the way to the rear seat and falls. Luckily his ICS cord did not disconnect and he pulled it back up to the front seat and put it back on. I could just imagine if he had to RTB with no helmet on.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
He could have gone up, then pushed the nose over, put the boards out, and the helmet would float up and forward. I don't know if that would work or not, but in theory it seems like it would be pretty cool, like he was using "the force."

There are no boards on the T-34.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Plus zero-G is bad juju in the T-34. The engine tends to stop working. Maybe not right away, but maybe an hour or two later. Not to mention if the helmet got caught on the stick or wrapped around the PCL.... Sounds like he got lucky.

usmcecho4

pilot
IFS half way through a cross country I was taxing back to the runway for takeoff when I see a two prop continental commuter plane doing it's warm up. I pause for a moment thinking about the video I saw of a 747 blowing cars away with its engines. Dumb person that I am I figure that this small plane won't be able to screw with me so long as I keep on the yellow line (afterall he was in the warm up area and far away from where I was going to taxi). Plus the Ground wouldn't have cleared me for takeoff if taxing to the runway was going to blow me over...right? So, I taxi behind him and my mighty 172 does a 90 degree turn into his propwash which causes me to make use of the BICYCLE gear on my plane. I turn into it the wind, hope the continental doesn't have rearview mirrors, think about how dumb I was and proceed to taxi to the runway. Lesson: everything can blow a 172 away and I'm an idiot.

Semper Fi,
usmecho4