• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 (and others) goof-ups

romey77

Hey, since no one seems to fess up their screw-ups, I thought about starting this new thread- kind of like a learning tool for others.

The other day I was doing one of my fam flights over Oyster Bay and I had a simulated landing gear failure. No prob, CB's pulled, handle down, unlock clutch, engage clutch, start cranking, gear down. Ok, gtg, push breakers in, put gear up- anything wrong with that? Hell yeah, the clutch was still engaged and the crank handle nearly took off my fingers- it was spinning so fast.

Posted this as a "note to self" kind of thing, hope this helps. Feel free to add up (but please no name calling, I had enough on that hop- he he)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We tend to post it in the Private Forum, to keep the randomness down.

kray1395

During the prestart checklist...... when you get to Circuit Breakers/Utility Bus Switches...... don't forget to check the ignition circuit breaker.... the one behind the utility light that you can't see too easily. It makes for an embarrasing situation during the engine start.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
During the prestart checklist...... when you get to Circuit Breakers/Utility Bus Switches...... don't forget to check the ignition circuit breaker.... the one behind the utility light that you can't see too easily. It makes for an embarrasing situation during the engine start.

Try starting your engine with the fuel handle up and engine switch off (T-45).... yeah that's pretty funny.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I haven't dicked up the start, but I did bounce one skid on the TH-57 on landing the other day, that was cool. Great way to cap off an otherwise good flight.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Rear cockpit starter and electrical command both "on":

[battery on]
brrrvvvmmmmmmmm *tick* *tick* mmmm *sheeit!* mmmmm
[flips battery back off]
tingg whirrrrrr thwip thwip thwip ffttt hhhhh hhh hh h
[wave apologetically to nearby lineman, lineman shakes head in mock despair]

I always check my prop arc whilst preflighting now-definitely would've given someone a concussion at least

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My favorite:

"Gear down.... wait... no it isn't, my right main is stuck up"

"Why'd you say gear down then?"

"I'm stupid?"

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, since no one seems to fess up their screw-ups, I thought about starting this new thread- kind of like a learning tool for others.

The other day I was doing one of my fam flights over Oyster Bay and I had a simulated landing gear failure. No prob, CB's pulled, handle down, unlock clutch, engage clutch, start cranking, gear down. Ok, gtg, push breakers in, put gear up- anything wrong with that? Hell yeah, the clutch was still engaged and the crank handle nearly took off my fingers- it was spinning so fast.

Posted this as a "note to self" kind of thing, hope this helps. Feel free to add up (but please no name calling, I had enough on that hop- he he)

I did the same thing on my FAm-13X. I caught the handle and put the clutch up wihtout the IP knowing

beau

Taking off in the 45 for a 4 plane flight with Full Rudder Trim imput to one side and getting a tremendous yaw to the left...got a little interesting for a second until I realized what I had done (been doing rudder trim checks and got distracted by somthing else and forgot to finish the check)....then slowly moved the Rudder trim back to center....

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
My favorite:

"Gear down.... wait... no it isn't, my right main is stuck up"

"Why'd you say gear down then?"

"I'm stupid?"

No flap landing:

SNA: "Gear up, Flaps Down, Landing Checklist complete"

IP : "It better not be!"

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A few years ago in Corpus...92 or so...I was in the back seat, IP up front, two students on a form flight with IP. One of the students asked me to film it for him. No problem. We get to engine runup, I am fussing with the camera, with the tape running....when I notice something, uh, unusual on the viewing screen.

ICS-----
me: LT, why are there flames coming out of his stacks?
IP: W-T-F.......oh sh!t

Seems like the student pulled levers back too far, then jammed them forward instead of calling for a re-start.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Almost climbed into the T-34 without an SV-2 on once (we were required to wear them in Corpus). Got that "something feels wrong" feeling, looked down and saw the IP laughing his ass off and pointing to my SV2 on the ground underneath the horizontal stab.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
On first T-34 landing pattern at an outlying field, at the 180:

Me: "Shooter 123, 180, 3 down and locked, full stop, touch and go"
RDO: "Yeah kid ... your the only one in the pattern, you can have all of em"