• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 (and others) goof-ups

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Almost climbed into the T-34 without an SV-2 on once (we were required to wear them in Corpus). Got that "something feels wrong" feeling, looked down and saw the IP laughing his ass off and pointing to my SV2 on the ground underneath the horizontal stab.

I did that same thing on my second offwing flight with the XO. I noticed it and unstrapped and hopped out to get it. Turns out I wasn't the first one to do that with him.

beau

Almost climbed into the T-34 without an SV-2 on once (we were required to wear them in Corpus). Got that "something feels wrong" feeling, looked down and saw the IP laughing his ass off and pointing to my SV2 on the ground underneath the horizontal stab.

I never personally done that one..but have quite a few people I know have done that exact same thing....including my Roomate when i was there. "wow this sure feels different"!

I've forgot to strap on the two upper parachute fittings once....got that same "somethings wrong" feeling only to look down and see them not connected and no where in sight....unlocked the harness and reached behind ....strapped them on reattached the harness...and was really to finially go (man I forgot all the **** we had do do in the 34....i guess in the 45 we do the same stuff but we dont have to reach as much like we did in the 34)

romey77

I never personally done that one..but have quite a few people I know have done that exact same thing....including my Roomate when i was there. "wow this sure feels different"!

I've forgot to strap on the two upper parachute fittings once....got that same "somethings wrong" feeling only to look down and see them not connected and no where in sight....unlocked the harness and reached behind ....strapped them on reattached the harness...and was really to finially go (man I forgot all the **** we had do do in the 34....i guess in the 45 we do the same stuff but we dont have to reach as much like we did in the 34)

My first flight in the T-34? It took me about 10 minutes to strap my chute on, just to realize that it was strapped ON TOP of the restraint harness! No wonder it took me forever to click it closed! And all that time the bastard IP was rolling on his side laughing!
Finally, he's like "So, let's say you wanna bailout at 2000 ft, do you think you got enough time to unstrap your chute, then your harness, then strap the chute back on?"

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
In line with the forgetting your SV-2.

This one time, on a Tac-REpo, i walked up to the flight station (after waking up from a coma) and asked the PPC, "Yo, Boss, you ready for me to get in?" He says, "Nah, kick the 3P out, I'll stay in." so that's what we did. I sat down, started buckling in, and the PPC looks at me like i've got a horn growing out of my head and asks, "Uh, XXXXX (name ommited to protect the stupid), do you have ALL your requried equipment?"

Of course our salty ADC FE had been laughing the whole time at me and I didn't even notice.... kinda like that time i ignored the "gear up" horn in the T-34 until the 90...on my checkride.

The moral of this story is: if somone is laughing in the cockpit and it ain't you - ask yourself, "Am I doing something stupid?". And if there's a buzz going off and you're about to land, take a quick gander at that there gear handle, might stop you from making a complete ass of yourself.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
A few years ago in Corpus...92 or so...

Yeah, just a few.

So, I'm a newly winged pilot (no, really I am) and about to go solo for the first time (in three years) in a C-152 after getting an hour checkout a week prior. You know, spreading my wings a little...
Well, get the preflight done, engine started, and ready to taxi. Give a little gas, rpm's rise, but I don't go anywhere. Give a little more gas, wiggle the rudder a little in case I'm stuck in a crack or something, still don't go anywhere. Check parking brake off, so try again, still nothing. Open the door, stick my head under the fuse to check the wheels and lo and behold, chocks are still under the nose wheel! Of course there's no lineman to pull them for me (hopefully there wouldn't be one stupid enough to try it anyway since the engine is running). Shut the engine down, pull chocks, "let's try again...".

Fast forward about 3 months. I've learned my lesson and about to take a warm-up flight in a 172. On preflight I put the chocks under the left main mount to remind myself (I had to go back into the FBO to call the fuel truck). Fueled up, engine started, give a little gas....don't go anywhere. Sure enough, a peak out the window reveals the chocks still under the wheel. Fortunately, being the limber Marine that I am, I'm able to unstrap and lean out far enough to pull them out without having to shut the engine down. Of course my dignity is no longer in tact.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
DOH - Do people (SNA's) still forget to turn off the starter on the T-34C and drain the battery down to nothin'?

I had a classmate in VT's that did that on a PA solo - NORDO, manual crank of the gear in the overhead pattern, etc. He recovered safely but eventually attrited in intermediates...

ChuckMK23

pilot
I haven't dicked up the start, but I did bounce one skid on the TH-57 on landing the other day, that was cool. Great way to cap off an otherwise good flight.

Don't be a pussy with the collective :) As long as the skids are level you aren't going to break anything.

oh and on the start, one way you can reduce your stress and to worry about what's important (not overtemping the engine and securing fuel before it does) is that once the starter switch comes ON, keep your left thumb away from it and move it to rest on the idle release button on the collective. Just watch TOT and N1, let your IP tell you when the blades are turning (crew concept, remember?). To reinforce this behavior and develop the muscle memory, sit in a hanger pre-fliught a/c for a while moving the twist grip in and out of the idle detent - get so mashing the idle release buttonis second nature. Don't ever react to a hot start by turning off the starter - that's a sure way to fry the engine.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had it explained to me that once the twist grip is closed, the EP is basically over and you can take your time with the other steps.

gregsivers

pilot
Don't be a pussy with the collective :) As long as the skids are level you aren't going to break anything.

oh and on the start, one way you can reduce your stress and to worry about what's important (not overtemping the engine and securing fuel before it does) is that once the starter switch comes ON, keep your left thumb away from it and move it to rest on the idle release button on the collective. Just watch TOT and N1, let your IP tell you when the blades are turning (crew concept, remember?). To reinforce this behavior and develop the muscle memory, sit in a hanger pre-fliught a/c for a while moving the twist grip in and out of the idle detent - get so mashing the idle release buttonis second nature. Don't ever react to a hot start by turning off the starter - that's a sure way to fry the engine.

Thanks for the advice. I had my offwing flight the other day, and it was the first time I'd started the helo, every other flight had been a hotseat. So needless to say I was a little slow, and forgot to put my thmub right on the release button. What you said is exactly what the IP said, so again thanks.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

And even if the skids arent level the best way to avoid dynamic roll over is to drop the collective.

Other than that beware the "dont be a pussy with the collective" advice you are flying the weakest most torque limited aircraft in the inventory.

gregsivers

pilot
Other than that beware the "dont be a pussy with the collective" advice you are flying the weakest most torque limited aircraft in the inventory.

Yeah I found that out the other day at the Fleet Fly In. I got to fly a -60B and quickly found out you can't really overtorque it. The pilot kept telling me to just pull the collective right up. Quite a difference between flying the two. If you blink at the wrong second you can overtorque the mighty Sea Ranger.

ChuckMK23

pilot
And even if the skids arent level the best way to avoid dynamic roll over is to drop the collective.

Good word Skid :) I meant on lowering it of course. The mighty TH-57 will overtorque in a heartbeat - both from rate and amount of power increase

Pags

N/A
pilot
and then you get to play the waiting game for the truck ride of shame and end up with cow **** on your boots...or so i've heard

phrogpilot73

and then you get to play the waiting game for the truck ride of shame and end up with cow **** on your boots...or so i've heard
WTF are you saying? 3 times I read the truck of shame, and I got cow sh!t on my boots... And they give me the most torque limited aircraft in the fleet... Why, I'll never know... But I thank them for it!