• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board June 3, 2019

Jmanstar

Told I would be on this board but just hope the board picks up as many as they did in the previous convene dates

BroskiOCS

Told I would be on this board but just hope the board picks up as many as they did in the previous convene dates
Yeah it's hard to say how many selectees will be on this board. It is encouraging that they revised the board schedule to add this one for the FY.

jbg37

I barely got in. Got my stuff submitted on the 10th. Good luck to everyone. This waiting is killing me.

jbg37

I appreciate it man. I have no idea if it's competitive. I felt like my LORs were weak compared to other people but the rest I think is solid.

BroskiOCS

I appreciate it man. I have no idea if it's competitive. I felt like my LORs were weak compared to other people but the rest I think is solid.
Dude, I'm the same way. Everything I have is solid aside from the LOR's. I mean, they aren't bad but I always see people with like O6 and above. I wouldn't think that LOR's play a HUGE part in the selection process though. It seems as if GPA and OAR are significantly more important.

jbg37

Dude, I'm the same way. Everything I have is solid aside from the LOR's. I mean, they aren't bad but I always see people with like O6 and above. I wouldn't think that LOR's play a HUGE part in the selection process though. It seems as if GPA and OAR are significantly more important.
That's good to know. Cuz my GPA and OAR are good to go. It's just weird cuz the enlistment process for the army was rather instant so this waiting game seems unfamiliar (at least in the entry piece).

BroskiOCS

That's good to know. Cuz my GPA and OAR are good to go. It's just weird cuz the enlistment process for the army was rather instant so this waiting game seems unfamiliar (at least in the entry piece).
It's the same on the Navy side of the house as well. Enlisting in the Navy (or at least from my experience back in 2008), involved walking into the recruiting office with the mindset of "what can the Navy do for me?" As long as you didn't have health or legal issues you are in. Officer recruiting is, and should be, "what can I do for the Navy?" What particular skillset and leadership traits will make you thrive in the officer community. Having 11 years of active duty service as enlisted, I can say that I've met alot of turds. I would say some of that can be attributed to the enlisted recruiting process. This application process has been both stressful and lengthy but I feel that it can help with weeding out those individuals that aren't dedicated to the upcoming challenge.

Are you currently enlisted in the Army? Any particular reason you decided against commission in the Army?

jbg37

It's the same on the Navy side of the house as well. Enlisting in the Navy (or at least from my experience back in 2008), involved walking into the recruiting office with the mindset of "what can the Navy do for me?" As long as you didn't have health or legal issues you are in. Officer recruiting is, and should be, "what can I do for the Navy?" What particular skillset and leadership traits will make you thrive in the officer community. Having 11 years of active duty service as enlisted, I can say that I've met alot of turds. I would say some of that can be attributed to the enlisted recruiting process. This application process has been both stressful and lengthy but I feel that it can help with weeding out those individuals that aren't dedicated to the upcoming challenge.

Are you currently enlisted in the Army? Any particular reason you decided against commission in the Army?
My enlistment ended almost exactly 11 months ago. My degree was conferred around the same time. My body isn't as up to the rigors of the Army as it was when I went in in 2010. Not that the Navy isn't physical or doesn't have rigorous programs but I found that there were more opportunities in the Navy that allowed me to use my mind (which I always thought was my best asset) and my leadership abilities from the jump. The idea of not having to go on 12 mile ruck marches or sleep in the field while still being a potentially valuable asset to the warfighting mission of the United States makes the Navy much more appealing. Like you said, my thought was very much "how can I serve to the best of my abilities?" I understand that being a grunt has it's place but also an expiration date. For me, I believe that date has passed. Not that there weren't other options for me in the Army I just know myself and my strengths and weaknesses. I just want to serve and felt like this mission was best suited for me and vice versa.

BroskiOCS

My enlistment ended almost exactly 11 months ago. My degree was conferred around the same time. My body isn't as up to the rigors of the Army as it was when I went in in 2010. Not that the Navy isn't physical or doesn't have rigorous programs but I found that there were more opportunities in the Navy that allowed me to use my mind (which I always thought was my best asset) and my leadership abilities from the jump. The idea of not having to go on 12 mile ruck marches or sleep in the field while still being a potentially valuable asset to the warfighting mission of the United States makes the Navy much more appealing. Like you said, my thought was very much "how can I serve to the best of my abilities?" I understand that being a grunt has it's place but also an expiration date. For me, I believe that date has passed. Not that there weren't other options for me in the Army I just know myself and my strengths and weaknesses. I just want to serve and felt like this mission was best suited for me and vice versa.
You're doing it for all the right reasons, my man. I hope we both get selected and have the opportunity to serve together. The wait is almost over.