• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

xjoellemae

ENS - SWO
Anyone here who was Pro-Rec'd with a ship date of FY22 receive a concrete date yet?

I'd like to know if I'm the only one who's going a little cabin feverish with wanting a solid date.
I know you're stoked to get the ball rolling, but your FINSEL with a date could come as soon as two weeks out from your ship date. It's a hurry up and wait game. Some people get dates months ahead and some people get their date a week from shipping, it's just the way it goes.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I know you're stoked to get the ball rolling, but your FINSEL with a date could come as soon as two weeks out from your ship date. It's a hurry up and wait game. Some people get dates months ahead and some people get their date a week from shipping, it's just the way it goes.
I've got a wife and small child, as well as a FT job where I'm fairly essential to the business process. I'd love to have 2-3 months heads up just so I could get my affairs in order. Possibly get the vaccination just to avoid ROM despite not being too keen on it.

But hell, if I got a call in July saying "Hey, you're going August 15, get your sh*t together", I couldn't complain too much. I'd have to work until July 31, but that's fine.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Oh, and I know all about the hurry up and wait game. I did Peace Corps and about half of my 27 months service and the ~9 months from application to entry was hurry up and wait.

I'm just not fond of it. ?

xjoellemae

ENS - SWO
I've got a wife and small child, as well as a FT job where I'm fairly essential to the business process. I'd love to have 2-3 months heads up just so I could get my affairs in order. Possibly get the vaccination just to avoid ROM despite not being too keen on it.

But hell, if I got a call in July saying "Hey, you're going August 15, get your sh*t together", I couldn't complain too much. I'd have to work until July 31, but that's fine.
Oh I feel totally feel that. It's been super nice to have a few months heads up, and why I'm not moving it up. Gotta wrap work up. I really hope you get a date soon for peace of mind. Haha

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Oh I feel totally feel that. It's been super nice to have a few months heads up, and why I'm not moving it up. Gotta wrap work up. I really hope you get a date soon for peace of mind. Haha
I'm sure my OR is hoping I get a date soon so his phone stops blowing up with my texts on why haven't I received a date yet. ??

almond_615

It sucks, but you probably should just let them know now. So they begin planning contingencies in case you have to go. I had to do that with my current employer.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
It sucks, but you probably should just let them know now. So they begin planning contingencies in case you have to go. I had to do that with my current employer.
My supervisor knows I've applied. He doesn't know yet that I've received a recommendation as I didn't want to say anything until I received a ship date.

Don't want to say anything just yet because I don't want to be replaced prior to me actually having to be replaced. lol

exNavyOffRec

I wouldn't, a person is under no obligation to give notice and the employer can decide to let you go earlier than you may want. I have seen that happen too many times. In fact it has been more than I can count on my hands in just the past 6 months.

Just Tuesday one of my friends just found out his old coworker who had just been offered a new job went to give notice, decided since his managers had been great that he would give them nearly 4 weeks of advance notice, they told him since he was leaving that they would make today his last day. My friend told him to not give more than a few days notice as he has seen the same thing over and over as well, the guy didn't listen and while he is getting paid for his unused paid time off, he basically has now 4 weeks of no income.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I wouldn't, a person is under no obligation to give notice and the employer can decide to let you go earlier than you may want. I have seen that happen too many times. In fact it has been more than I can count on my hands in just the past 6 months.

Just Tuesday one of my friends just found out his old coworker who had just been offered a new job went to give notice, decided since his managers had been great that he would give them nearly 4 weeks of advance notice, they told him since he was leaving that they would make today his last day. My friend told him to not give more than a few days notice as he has seen the same thing over and over as well, the guy didn't listen and while he is getting paid for his unused paid time off, he basically has now 4 weeks of no income.
Good thing for me is that I'm one of 3 people in a finance office for an organization with a $45 million budget. They wouldn't terminate me early because I'm a bit indispensable to them. Especially with the new FY coming around soon.

I might just let my supervisor know 1 month in advance that I'll be leaving soon, but don't know exactly when. Then give final notice 2 weeks prior. Either way, I have about 3 weeks PTO I could cash out.

exNavyOffRec

Good thing for me is that I'm one of 3 people in a finance office for an organization with a $45 million budget. They wouldn't terminate me early because I'm a bit indispensable to them. Especially with the new FY coming around soon.

I might just let my supervisor know 1 month in advance that I'll be leaving soon, but don't know exactly when. Then give final notice 2 weeks prior. Either way, I have about 3 weeks PTO I could cash out.

never say never, my recent applicant who accepted a job with us was the manager of a 5 person sales department (him plus 4 reports), 2 were newly hired in the past month and 1 was out due to COVID, he notified them on Wed giving them 2 weeks notice and on Fri they said the end of the work day would be his last day.

I am now in the process of hiring away the new manager for that department to come to my company as well!

almond_615

I'm in the opposite boat. I had just accepted a GS job that starts in July and I won't be going to OCS until october.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
never say never, my recent applicant who accepted a job with us was the manager of a 5 person sales department (him plus 4 reports), 2 were newly hired in the past month and 1 was out due to COVID, he notified them on Wed giving them 2 weeks notice and on Fri they said the end of the work day would be his last day.

I am now in the process of hiring away the new manager for that department to come to my company as well!
Very true! Which is why I likely won't give more than 2 weeks actual notice. I'll be fine if they have me leave that day. Give me more time with my wife and daughter before I leave.

I'm still going to give my supervisor a "Hey, I might be leaving soon, you might want to get things in order for when I'm no longer here" once I'm within a month of shipping. I don't want to leave a bad impression for a guy who would otherwise be a super strong LOR in future endeavors.