• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

1812TC

It really depends, I have worked with prior service officers that were in a field unrelated to the officer designator they went into so that wasn't much help, and it also depends how long they were in for and what rank they achieved. A person that served 4 years as a CS getting out as an E-4 that then gets his degree and becomes a pilot is going to have minimal transitional skills in this case, however an AT1 who becomes a pilot may have some things he can share.

The variety is such that it cannot be relied upon.

very very good point. I guess I’m biased and typically think of E-6+ when that probably is the most uncommon.

1812TC

When you get to the 9-10 year E5's and up, rank has very little to do with wisdom, intelligence, or leadership ability. fill out you hurt feelings chits
I cannot speak on behalf of the Navy, only on my own personal opinions and views from the Marine Corps. I’ve never met a 9-10 year E5 that wasn’t a trash can in the Marine Corps, let alone someone E6 and up willing to trade rockers for brass whiteout the true passion of leading and staying engaged in the wellbeing and development of your subordinates and peers alike. Two different branches though so I guess we should speak more generally in terms of years not so much pay grade.

AT2Pax

I cannot speak on behalf of the Navy, only on my own personal opinions and views from the Marine Corps. I’ve never met a 9-10 year E5 that wasn’t a trash can in the Marine Corps, let alone someone E6 and up willing to trade rockers for brass whiteout the true passion of leading and staying engaged in the wellbeing and development of your subordinates and peers alike. Two different branches though so I guess we should speak more generally in terms of years not so much pay grade.
I'm guessing my profile name gave it away. Surprisingly, I 100% agree with your statement. Marines promote their best on a "total Marine" scale. The Navy, not so much. It's more of an advancement raffle honestly. I spent 4 years with the Marines and quickly learned why they are the Nation's premier fighting force.

AT2Pax

I'm guessing my profile name gave it away. Surprisingly, I 100% agree with your statement. Marines promote their best on a "total Marine" scale. The Navy, not so much. It's more of an advancement raffle honestly. I spent 4 years with the Marines and quickly learned why they are the Nation's premier fighting force.
I feel like I left some info out. The navy does take performance into account. That being said, there are just some rates that are so locked up that despite being a top performer you will not advance. (Hello HM). This is what leads to 9-10 year E-5's that are outstanding. Meanwhile, you have E-6's who were in when advancement was good. This creates a gap. Unfortunately it all comes down to quotas.

1812TC

I feel like I left some info out. The navy does take performance into account. That being said, there are just some rates that are so locked up that despite being a top performer you will not advance. (Hello HM). This is what leads to 9-10 year E-5's that are outstanding. Meanwhile, you have E-6's who were in when advancement was good. This creates a gap. Unfortunately it all comes down to quotas.
I totally understand that, which is why I realized the miscommunication. I’ve seen many outstanding Sailors, I admired and strive to emulate, stuck in grade due to minimal advancement rates(HMs) lol.

AT2Pax

I totally understand that, which is why I realized the miscommunication. I’ve seen many outstanding Sailors, I admired and strive to emulate, stuck in grade due to minimal advancement rates(HMs) lol.
Time in service equals a whole lot more than rank. You think the 5 year E-6 really knows more than the 10 year E-5? Generally, no. There are definitely some turds. As a (hopefully) future O, we should all strive to not take advice based on rank, but on whether it's actually a good idea. Hence the quote from "With the Old Breed" I posted earlier.

paltheon232

If you want to read a super amazing hooya book about Destroyers while you wait, read The Last Stand of The Tin Can Sailors, phenomenal book about WWII.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️HM here...currently in that boat. Made E5 in 2012. Saw minimum opportunity for growth in the HM Community. So i decided to get an education and make a career change. Im definitely not a trash can...get outstanding on all my prts. Great evals. Combat deployments in division. Just my rate sucked for promotion. Dont get me wrong I love being a corpsman...but I like personal growth as well which is not afforded in the HM community in my opinion.

Doc Engel

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️HM here...currently in that boat. Made E5 in 2012. Saw minimum opportunity for growth in the HM Community. So i decided to get an education and make a career change. Im definitely not a trash can...get outstanding on all my prts. Great evals. Combat deployments in division. Just my rate sucked for promotion. Dont get me wrong I love being a corpsman...but I like personal growth as well which is not afforded in the HM community in my opinion.
Preach.

Catman5211

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Was definitely a driving factor behind my decision. Especially when I see some firsts and seconds who have been stuck for years and still thinking and acting better then most but are told to stay in their place solely based on rank. Leadership is an acquired trait.

1812TC

Time in service equals a whole lot more than rank. You think the 5 year E-6 really knows more than the 10 year E-5? Generally, no. There are definitely some turds. As a (hopefully) future O, we should all strive to not take advice based on rank, but on whether it's actually a good idea. Hence the quote from "With the Old Breed" I posted earlier.
I agree with this entirely. I think TIS is a much better blanket statement than grade.
Which is why I clarified MC specifically not to include FMF docs. Because it was indeed a 8-10 year HM2 who on his 4th tour and my first was the exact factor which motivated to me want to continue to serve and continue to grow, not another Marine.

AT2Pax

These same people that were in when times were good, are the same ones to say "what I did was the right thing to make rank"...... terrible to say but..... beware the mess

HSalt

HM's have had terrible quotas for years, so I would definitely leave that rate out of the 10+ year E-5 debate. On the other hand, at NIOC's we probably have more CWO5's than golden E-5's. You have to christmas tree your exams and get straight P's in order to not make E-6 in most CT rates.

Anyway, have any of our civilian counterparts heard back from their recruiters? Maybe they meant Friday the 21st?

caliktk

Anyway, have any of our civilian counterparts heard back from their recruiters? Maybe they meant Friday the 21st?
Nothing but silence from mine. I am tempted to reach out tomorrow but also want to wait until someone in gets the nod.