• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

madelinebridge

Robert Leckie is one of my favorites all around.
Yeah he's killer. I've previously had a hard time getting into history but he really makes it a pleasure. I'm going backwards from WWII and unfortunately he doesn't have a WWI book geared towards adults; so I'm reading The First World War by John Keegan. I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as Leckie.

1812TC

Leckie, by virtue, is the embodiment of the Old breed Marine. And idc honestly I loveeeedddd the pacific mini series.

atspdx

Anyone read any good books lately? I finished Delivered From Evil by Robert Leckie recently and really liked it.

I'm sure this is going to incite some strong feelings but Fight Like a Girl: The Truth Behind How Female Marines Are Trained by Kate Germano and Kelly Kennedy. Gender politics aside, it's good to get some background/perspective on apparent performance disparities.

exNavyOffRec

No they have not waited until assigning OCS dates for SWO historically. If aviation is to find out soon, I would guess ours would be right before or exact same time. Stay patient and hopeful it’ll be here before the weekend. If it isn’t, doesn’t matter, one more weekend in the books.

The last aviation board was the first one they assigned OCS dates to, this is a brand new thing, it is something the PM and OCS Director would work on, not the processor, it could be doing that with the aviation was a test or it could be the beginning for all, no one will know until the next round comes out.

exNavyOffRec

The venture passed 20 I agree, but even the amount of knowledge, skill and leadership that a prior can bring to the O1-O3 ranks is insurmountable by the vast majority of non prior officers that do one contract and get out.

It really depends, I have worked with prior service officers that were in a field unrelated to the officer designator they went into so that wasn't much help, and it also depends how long they were in for and what rank they achieved. A person that served 4 years as a CS getting out as an E-4 that then gets his degree and becomes a pilot is going to have minimal transitional skills in this case, however an AT1 who becomes a pilot may have some things he can share.

The variety is such that it cannot be relied upon.

n0rthstar

Man!

I was really feeling it was gonna be today. It's disheartening to hear the results haven't been signed off on yet.