• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO BOARD 04 NOV 2019

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
Our packages were very diverse. I'm really happy for you guys. Seeing you all post is definitely motivating and pressing me to get my life together for the next board.

Come Tuesday I'm calling to ask what did I not have I mean damn, Respectfully of course, I am lost. Now I know how the E6s feeling going up for Chief and not being selected. It doesn't seem to be about the highest OAR, highest GPA, most awards, experience, all 10s, interviews. It really is a combination, a wild card.
It is your OAR score. You have to bring that score up. You shouldn’t be concerned about anything else. It is not a mystery why you didn’t get picked. A waiver for an OAR score is an automatic rejection.

Acsantosus

@R.Dougie What is your TIS?

IMHO I think the SWO board looks for a wide variety of selectees in general since it's the most general and broad category of Naval Officer. Seems that they have a quota that they know they want to fill and at some points they are probably going through applications and trying to find a reason to not select. I would think that the more waivers you have the more likely you are giving the board that reason.

I could easily go medical corps and to ODS with my degree, certification, and job experience, however I want a complete change. I have no clue why I was selected but, hey who couldn't use an extra corpsman on a ship?!
Wait you got notified you were selected and tried to be all casual about it !?! Congratulations!!! See you in OCS!!!

KristenQT

oh trust me I've already Bob's Burgers Tina twerked around my whole work this weekend. …. If only they had us doing that move at OCS. ? And thank you!
tenor.gif

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
It is your OAR score. You have to bring that score up. You shouldn’t be concerned about anything else. It is not a mystery why you didn’t get picked. A waiver for an OAR score is an automatic rejection.
When you say a "waiver for an OAR score is an automatic rejection", where is that in black and white? I know a few individuals that are in OCS with the same waivers.

Now I know there are precepts for any/every selection board, I'm sincerely looking for factual feedback only...thank you.
I have exhausted my test attempts btw. Appreciate your input and Congratulations on your selection.

exNavyOffRec

I wish I could get a grasp on what the key factors are the board was looking at. Those of us who were AD all have very different packages. We all come from different communities and our degrees are all very different. I also only had SWO selected on my application and my OAR was almost as low as you can get but I figured I passed it so I should submit and if it didn’t work out I would just take it again. I did have a high GPA though. Congratulations on your PROREC Y see you at OCS!

When a board has a higher selection rate often it isn't what a person had that got them selected, it is what a person had that resulted in getting them not selected, waivers are the first thing to look at.

Haybee

While this may be true for some communities like IP, Intel, that is not absolutely true for SWO. I know a shipmate that is currently at Rhode Island and got a waiver for his OAR score. He told me he scored a 37 and he got selected for SWO.

parkers18

When you say a "waiver for an OAR score is an automatic rejection", where is that in black and white? I know a few individuals that are in OCS with the same waivers.

Now I know there are precepts for any/every selection board, I'm sincerely looking for factual feedback only...thank you.
I have exhausted my test attempts btw. Appreciate your input and Congratulations on your selection.

I think that when people ask for waivers, they are asking the Big Navy for a favor and they probably don't take those lightly. There are some waivers that people get because they cant help their situation/circumstances (i.e age waiver or offense waiver for something done in the past), but maybe they figure that an OAR can be fixed? Also, I also read that they are picky about enlisted, esp. for SWO, because of retention. Those AD that have been in for X amount of years and are approaching retirement are probably seen as another addition to their retention problem.

My advice is to not be discouraged and try again. 2 years ago I gave my first attempt when I was in Virginia Beach, Va. My recruiter at the time was half-assing because she was retiring, i was handed off between two others, and my package was Sh*! because of it. I beefed up my package and reapplied and got in on this board. Don't give up.

R.Dougie

Live•Laugh•Love
@parkers18 I definitely understand what you're relaying and will keep pushing. Someone with X years such as myself, still has to obliserv as someone with no experience has to. I've heard both sides you spoke of from O recruiters. A lot of the JOs with no prior service that I've worked with have moved on from SWO and laterally converted at their first opportunity or move on altogether.

I applied back in 2017 but was medically disqualified. I fought my case all the way to the Surgeon General and recently won. To be At Board was major to me! This is just another thing I have to tackle!

Glad you had a better recruiter this time around and again Congratulations to you!

Acsantosus

I guess you could say that 74% of AD applications were PROREC Y and the AD acceptance rate consisted of around 17.5 % of total board acceptance. My math may be off as I don’t know the exact numbers.