• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

switching to usmc from usn

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I beg to differ. There's only so much a DIVO can do for his Marines when the base facilities are abominable, the MAG CO appropriates per diem his squadrons are legally entitled to for "other" purposes...
Brett

One of the worst actions (and likely criminal too) I have ever seen out of a command my entire time in the military. Suprised it did not result in a hotline call, but they were Marines.......:icon_roll
still happens

the administrative BS required to accomplish simple tasks exceeds that of the USAF by leaps and bounds ...
no way, not even close

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....There are Marines and those that wish they were Marines....

Wrong .... wrong .... wrong, again .... just wrong ... you couldn't be more wrong ... on so many counts ... and in just one little sentence. :)

Semper Fidelis.

(the Marines do not have a monopoly on that concept, BTW ... ;))

airfrogusmc

Wrong .... wrong .... wrong, again .... just wrong ... you couldn't be more wrong ... on so many counts ... and in just one little sentence. :)

Semper Fidelis.

(the Marines do not have a monopoly on that concept, BTW ... ;))

HMMM Bro then explain the brotherhood to me and why it cuts across so many generations. Kinda if you have to ask you'll never know thing. It comes from bootcamp or OCS and stays with ya. But hey maybe its just me. I never wake up in the morning and say DAMN I wish I were a squid or a dawgy or a zoomy but one decision I made I'll never regret become'n a jarhead.
S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never wake up in the morning and say DAMN I wish I were a squid or a dawgy or a zoomy but one decision I made I'll never regret become'n a jarhead.
S/F

And I've never woken up wishing I were a Marine - what does that prove? Hey, I'm glad everyone can be proud of their respective services and hopefully each of us is where we are because some aspect of that service appeals to us and we're happy with what we do. When the conversation degrades into juvenile sloganeering and mindless bravado, that's where I lose interest and write you off as a moronic automaton.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HMMM Bro then explain the brotherhood to me and why it cuts across so many generations.
I know plenty of former Marines that hate the Corps, wish they had joined any branch but the Marines, and think former Marines who can't let the Corps go were probably losers when they were in the Corps. The guys that own the Citation I fly are prime examples. Dad was a Marine and told the son to go to any other service. Son joined the Marines not as a generation thing, but because it would piss Dad off. Now that they are Pres & VP of the company they jointly own and they both laugh at the Corps.

Of course I know plenty of the opposite types too.

To each their own. No one will ever win the argument about which service is better. There are plenty of USN, USMC, USAF, USA and USCG guys I have worked with and respect. Each thinks his service is the best. But to say "There are Marines and those that wish they were Marines" is pure bull shit. It's more like "there are Marines and a lot more who are glad they are not Marines".

Plus the best thing about the Marines is that the rest of us get to make fun of them.......:eek: :D

airfrogusmc

I know plenty of former Marines that hate the Corps, wish they had joined any branch but the Marines, and think former Marines who can't let the Corps go were probably losers when they were in the Corps. The guys that own the Citation I fly are prime examples. Dad was a Marine and told the son to go to any other service. Son joined the Marines not as a generation thing, but because it would piss Dad off. Now that they are Pres & VP of the company they jointly own and they both laugh at the Corps.

Of course I know plenty of the opposite types too.

To each their own. No one will ever win the argument about which service is better. There are plenty of USN, USMC, USAF, USA and USCG guys I have worked with and respect. Each thinks his service is the best. But to say "There are Marines and those that wish they were Marines" is pure bull shit. It's more like "there are Marines and a lot more who are glad they are not Marines".

Plus the best thing about the Marines is that the rest of us get to make fun of them.......:eek: :D

Once a Marine always a Marine. I didn't say I didn't respect others from other branches. There is something different about the Corps though. Ya know we always gotta work you swabbies up and it works every time. :D I know guys and had close friends that were in Nam. Some were in the Corps some hate the corps some don't but they are still all Marines and we all have a special bond. Guys from WWII all the way down to Iraq. I think there tons of shit that sucks about the Corps but the way I look at it I earned the right to bitch about it. I probably would have different feelings if I weren't a crewchief or I if I had served in Nam, but then again I joined I wasn't drafted, I wasn't an 0311 (not that theres anything wrong with that) but I had a good job. I flew everyday. On top of that my daughter was born at Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital
Point being as much as I thought it sucked from time to time I'm still a Marine. Its something you don't get over.

airfrogusmc

Oh one other thing I forgot to say I do take exception to you saying if your proud of your service in the Corps you musta been a shitbird. I didn't love the Corps enough to stay in more than my first enlistment but I'm very proud of my service and will always be a Marine; end'a story.

MasterBates

Look, I can understand the "Once a Marine, always a Marine".

But seriously, some of you guys are like the high school jocks that can't move beyond the fact that they were the football captain senior year.

When they are 30.

KBayDog

But seriously, some of you guys are like the high school jocks that can't move beyond the fact that they were the football captain senior year.

When they are 30.

This, coming from the guy whose avatar is the symbol for an organization whose leader can't move beyond the fact that he scored four touchdowns in a single game for Polk High? :D

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
You know what, at this point we aren't really helping the original poster...he asked a simple question about how to do the transition, which I believe has been answered to the extent possible.

We can sit here all day pounding our chests and saying that our service is better or your service sucks or what not, but it isn't going to solve anything. The simple fact is that there is something different about the Marine Corps, each branch has its own things to offer and is unique and its up to the individual to determine what they want. Now, in my opinion and in the opinion of many who I talk to the Marine Corps does provide a certain familiness and brotherhood that the other services do not, at least not to that degree. That doesn't make the Navy or any other service evil or less able to do their assigned missions, it just means that the Marine Corps provides a different lifestyle which appeals to some people.

Now we have heard from many on here who are, or appear to be a little bitter concerning the Marine Corps for whatever reason, frankly though I don't care. Are there those who dislike the Marine Corps, sure, then there are those who hate the Army or the Navy or the Air Force. I would say however that the proportion of those who hate the Marine Corps are by far in the minority and the proportion of those who loved the Marine Corps far greater.

Now you are free to disagree with me, but what I say and what I have observed is no less valid than what you think and though it may not be based on 15 years of service doesn't mean that it is uneducated either. By saying that the it is merely a matter of "cool-aid", useless slogans, or whatever else has been implied on this thread you are making a suggestion, which knowing and reading posts from many of you, I don't think you intend. It may be an attempt at humor but it implies something else, and that in part is why you have gotten some strong responses out of some future leaders.

With that said, the humor has been fun to read and I would be happy to continue this discussion in another thread but I think we have exhausted the intent of the question asked.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Oh one other thing I forgot to say I do take exception to you saying if your proud of your service in the Corps you musta been a shitbird. I didn't love the Corps enough to stay in more than my first enlistment but I'm very proud of my service and will always be a Marine; end'a story.
I didn't say it. I said some former Marines said it.

You should be proud of your service.

S.O.B.

pilot
I don't know if this is still the case but I was playing cards with some CH53E guys a few years ago and they were telling me how their bonus was significantly less then their fixed wing marine counterparts. That's a pretty good example of the Marine Corps bureaucracy not taking care of Marines. Now I'm not sure if that type of inequality still exists but that would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth, they also said their Capt retention rate was extremely low.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The poster asked a simple question, then Bret had to shit on him for wanting it, starting all this. My opinion of the other services is much like my opinion on homosexuality--not my thing, but if that's what you're into, I don't have a problem with it.

There are Marines who are obnoxious about being Marines, but they are mostly the young ones, who would be obnoxious no matter what career they found. If they pumped gas at Exxon, they'd make fun of Shell employees. They'll get over it.

I'm very surprised at the virulently anti-Marine sentiment expressed by some. The Marine Corps is about that warrior ethos--you might not be into that, but guess what? That's why it wasn't for you. The fact that someone else aspires to it is his business. There's a reason that the Corps still makes officer and enlisted recruiting and retention missions in spite of the war and poor quality of life. It's the intangibles the Big Green Gun Club offers. The cheesy bumper sticker/T-shirt says the truth, "It's a Marine thing--you wouldn't understand."

At that said, switching services, USN to USMC, after winging can definitely be done. I know of at least two cases personally where it's happened. I wouldn't plan around being able to, and you're at the mercies of that month's requirements, but it's possible. See the senior Marine, impress him, and be persistent.

Ooh-freakin'-rah.

Status
Not open for further replies.