• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

switching to usmc from usn

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudesweet

currently in flight school and was wondering if anyone knows anything about switching over to the Marines. I've heard that you would go through and get winged and then go to TBS as a winged aviator. Just wondering how common/plausible this kind of thing is.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
....ok, but why? Don't tell us, just be really ready and expect some (ie, marines, peers and IPs) to be skeptical...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
currently in flight school and was wondering if anyone knows anything about switching over to the Marines. I've heard that you would go through and get winged and then go to TBS as a winged aviator. Just wondering how common/plausible this kind of thing is.

No kidding, why would you want to make your life more difficult. I hope it's not some misguided, romanticized "warrior culture" bullshit. The Marines are the George Costanza of services - cheap, duplicitous, half assed (in spite of a corporate culture that insists otherwise). Why would one voluntarily enter a service that goes out of its way to fuck its people? The Navy can be a very good life, so after the novelty of OORAH and YUT wear off after 6 months, where does that leave you?

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No kidding, why would you want to make your life more difficult. I hope it's not some misguided, romanticized "warrior culture" bullshit. The Marines are the George Costanza of services - cheap, duplicitous, half assed (in spite of a corporate culture that insists otherwise). Why would one voluntarily enter a service that goes out of its way to fuck its people? The Navy can be a very good life, so after the novelty of OORAH and YUT wear off after 6 months, where does that leave you?

Brett
I have never seen a group, whether officers or enlisted, take care of their own like Marines do. Note, I'm not talking about the bureaucracy of the Marine Corps taking care of its people. I'm talking about Marines taking care of Marines.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It happens from time to time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never seen a group, whether officers or enlisted, take care of their own like Marines do. Note, I'm not talking about the bureaucracy of the Marine Corps taking care of its people. I'm talking about Marines taking care of Marines.

I beg to differ. There's only so much a DIVO can do for his Marines when the base facilities are abominable, the MAG CO appropriates per diem his squadrons are legally entitled to for "other" purposes, and the administrative BS required to accomplish simple tasks exceeds that of the USAF by leaps and bounds - Cold comfort if you ask me. Do a deployment amongst them and report back.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I beg to differ. There's only so much a DIVO can do for his Marines when the base facilities are abominable, the MAG CO appropriates per diem his squadrons are legally entitled to for "other" purposes, and the administrative BS required to accomplish simple tasks exceeds that of the USAF by leaps and bounds - Cold comfort if you ask me. Do a deployment amongst them and report back.

Brett
You're talking Marine Corps bureaucracy, specifically what I wasn't referring to as I stated in my post. F fucking minus for you in reading comprehension. Back to the end of the line for you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're talking Marine Corps bureaucracy, specifically what I wasn't referring to as I stated in my post. F fucking minus for you in reading comprehension. Back to the end of the line for you.

Back at you on reading comprehension, good buddy. :D I addressed your Marines take care of Marines issue, but went on to state that, despite that, one can not escape the inevitable pressure and influence of the bureaucracy on the QOL of individual Marines. My point is that unit level leadership can not overcome or make up for the negative effects of the service itself.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back at you on reading comprehension, good buddy. :D I addressed your Marines take care of Marines issue, but went on to state that, despite that, one can not escape the inevitable pressure and influence of the bureaucracy on the QOL of individual Marines. My point is that unit level leadership can not overcome or make up for the negative effects of the service itself.

Brett
Aside from the unit level leadership problems you point out, my point is that Marines help each other out and take care of each other (such as enlisted taking care of other enlisted or the O's taking care of other O's) far better than their naval service counterparts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aside from the unit level leadership problems you point out, my point is that Marines help each other out and take care of each other (such as enlisted taking care of other enlisted or the O's taking care of other O's) far better than their naval service counterparts.

I'll grant you that, but it can't overcome the rest of the BS - all I'm saying.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

Brett

If you want to be a Marine... the OORAH and YUT don't wear off after 6 months...

And Steve yeah, you made some really good points too.

Brett I've still got big plans for your bike ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to be a Marine... the OORAH and YUT don't wear off after 6 months...

And Steve yeah, you made some really good points too.

Brett I've still got big plans for your bike ;)

Idiot. I love how you newbie fucks insert yourselves into my domain, as if you have any clue. :rolleyes:

Come talk with me when you've had a couple tours as an officer and we'll see how much YUT you have left in you.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^I wasn't speaking to any officership... just being a Marine... newbie or non-newbie... Its something that isn't to be pawned off as just some novelty that leaves after a few months of service.

With all respect to your branch...I made no assertions of "being in your domain" ... just talking to bein' a Marine. The YUT will never leave me my friend.

Now ofcourse i knew you'd slam me for that post...I'm newbie nobody, I realize that....but I have to represent my service. For you to assert that it just wears off is bs IMO. Every Marine officer i've met loves their job and is still just as motivated as when they started out. Steve especially made a good point, we take care of our own like no other branch.

phrogpilot73

If you are concerned about QOL, its a good thing you're not in the Marines. There is a certain mindset required to be a Marine, and the young Marines have the same mindset. Yeah - the housing isn't as nice, blah, blah, blah... The mindset of the Marines is that they promised us three hot and a cot - nothing more.

I agree with Steve, that we generally try to take care of our Marines as best we can. Also, you must not have been to many Marine bases recently. Our priorities are to the junior Marines, that's why just about every base I've been to recently has brand new, or newly renovated BEQ's/Barracks. The Officer housing may leave a little to be desired, but it's worth it to make sure our Marines are taken care of. Also, the other facilities are generally good - case in point, the East Coast's best commissary is at MCAS New River, and the commissary and PX at Lejeune are also incredible.

Navy guys are arguing about what life in the Marines is like... Classic!

dudesweet

ok...i was just curious what the procedure was or who to talk to about this type of thing...the thread wasn't meant to start Marine/Navy banter...so let me put it to you like this: does anyone know anybody who has done this or know how it is done. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.