• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of NFO flight school

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
I'm not trying to knock anyone who is in the E2's, I respect you guys fully, as you definately run the show, early warning is essential. I am just a little scared of getting into something that I really don't enjoy, and as an outdoor extremist I have an internal need for constant adrenaline rush and would like to fly 500 ft. off the ground through valleys as some of the strike and strike fighter guys have talked about in recent threads.

I'm sorry to hear you were stuck with your very last choice dunedan, especially with high grades. Did anyone make requests or fight getting stuck with that designation, or is there simply nothing you can do but take what you get? I'd surely hope that those with high grades could apply or somehow be recommended for an aircraft other than their last choice.

I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever I fly in, and I realize that the Navy is all about other people making decisions for you. I am just having trouble comprehending why they would assign you your worst choice if you worked so dang hard at getting the highest grades in the class, as if your hard work had no payoff whatsoever. Doesn't make sense to me.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
wanaBpilot said:
I'm not trying to knock anyone who is in the E2's, I respect you guys fully, as you definately run the show, early warning is essential. I am just a little scared of getting into something that I really don't enjoy, and as an outdoor extremist I have an internal need for constant adrenaline rush and would like to fly 500 ft. off the ground through valleys as some of the strike and strike fighter guys have talked about in recent threads.

I'm sorry to hear you were stuck with your very last choice dunedan, especially with high grades. Did anyone make requests or fight getting stuck with that designation, or is there simply nothing you can do but take what you get? I'd surely hope that those with high grades could apply or somehow be recommended for an aircraft other than their last choice.

I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever I fly in, and I realize that the Navy is all about other people making decisions for you. I am just having trouble comprehending why they would assign you your worst choice if you worked so dang hard at getting the highest grades in the class, as if your hard work had no payoff whatsoever. Doesn't make sense to me.

Ok, you're not getting it. There is no magic "if I work my ass off and ace all my hops and exams, then I'll get plane X." Talk to the SNAs about that. The Navy's not about getting one particular platform, and anyone else who works hard "gets stuck" with whatever else is "left over." You said yourself that you'll enjoy whatever you fly, and it's true. Trust me, I've flown jets, maritime, and the E-2. Wouldn't trade where I am now for anything. Plenty of my classmates wanted strike but also wouldn't give second thought to it now.

Think of naval aviation as a club. Price for entry is that you may not get to pick what the bartender serves you. In the end it's still a beer.

FWIW, the guys "stuck" with E-2s also tend to have the highest grades in primary/intermediate (sorry bubbas, it's true). The experts have said it time and again that the E-2 training track is the most academically difficult SNFO syllabus (this comes from CNATRA). I've seen my fair share of guys get bounced from the RAG (and even after the RAG in the fleet). They pick the smart guys for a reason. I've watched pointy-nose guys fly in the back with us as their brains melt down at the sheer amount of info thrown at them. In the meantime, we're busy fishing a sandwich out of our helmet bag.

Point is, don't sweat it now, as you've got a ways to go. Worry about getting to the bar first before you turn down a free drink. :)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Kickflip's FO gouge

Since the old summary of NFO flight school is a little outdated from the old syllabus, I thought I'd give a brief overview of primary / intermediate in VT 4 / 10 and a few tips along the way. Tips are pretty unorgonized, just things I noticed in the various stages.

Primary:

Contacts:

Contacts are a blast. You get six flights from the front cockpit where you will be at the controls the majority of the time. If you're not at the controls, ask for them, even if you suck at flying and your grades suffer, cause you won't have flights as simple as "let's go dick around in the MOA and then do some landings" ever again. You'll do spins, configuration changes, landings, turns, aerobatics, and some other fun stuff. You'll have a simulated EP on every flight, or at least you should.

See through the bullsh!t you have to do in the sims and ground school (i.e. the hollywood script for the checklist) and realize that this is supposed to be fun. During ground school spend a lot of time in the sim so your checklists are god-like and you won't have to worry about it in the plane.

Tips:

-Know EPs. If you are slow on your level speed change procedures, you might get below MIF. If you don't know your EPs you could fail the flight.

-Fly as often as possible.

-Know how to get through the ground ops checklists quickly and correctly. Especially if you are flying in July. This comes down to practicing in the sim.

Instruments:

Instrument ground school is a special kind of hell, but it is long so make use of it. There really is no excuse for you not to have your turnpoint procedures down cold by the end of instrument ground school. READ THE FTI, learn the procedures, and practice them in the 2b47 to yourself. There are 9 sims of various different craziness. One of them will be a NORDO scenario, one of them will be some kind of engine problem like a CHIP light, one will be ATIS giving mins below T/O mins, but most will just be practice with procedures. The flights are pretty much exactly like the sims except the radios are a lot busier. There are 15 instrument flights, two of which are checkrides.

Tips:

-Fuel calculations are the biggest time waster in instruments. The key is to get done with them way before you need to. Here is how you do it: As soon as you level off and get your fuel flow, calculate the fuel burn for the rest of the flight at the next 2-3 turnpoints. 6 minutes prior to your turnpoint, subtract 10% of your fuel flow from your current fuel for your fuel at the turnpoint. Then subtract the fuel burn you already calculated from your turnpoint fuel for your IAF fuel.

Example: After level off, fuel flow is 480 PPH. At TRADR, my jet log shows a remaining 57 minutes of flight before the IAF, so I'll burn 450 # from TRADR to the IAF. 6 minutes prior to TRADR, I have 1100# onboard, so my fuel at TRADR will be 1050 (1100 - 48), and my fuel at the initial approach fix will be 600 (1050 - 450). I write that down and still have 3 minutes before the 2 minute prior call, and all my fuel calcs for the MoT and wings level are done.

-Round all your in-flight fuel calculations to the nearest 50 LBS, just be sure that you actually have what you calculated when you get to the turnpoint.

-Principals of talking on the radios when you don't know what is going on: Read back all numbers, ROGER anything when ATC doesn't tell you to do something, WILCO anything when ATC tells you to do something that doesn't have a number in it. If there is doubt, go ahead and read back what you think ATC wants you to do, even if your pilot gets mad at you.

-If ATC gives you descend at pilot's discrestion, just read back "PD to ___(altitude)" That way you don't have to descend until you want to.

-ATC will be wordy because they want you to understand what to do. You don't have to be wordy because ATC knows what they told you. i.e.

ATC: "Katt 607, turn left heading 320, descend and maintain 1,200 until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 36, local altimeter 30.02, let tower know you'll be doing a touch-and-go. Be advised of bird increased bird activity in the last half hour."

you: "Katt 607, heading 320, 1,200 'till established, cleared ILS, 30.02"

-Aviate, Navigate, Communicate in instruments means do not miss any altitude calls, especially inside the IAF. In the sims if you miss a 200 ft prior call or MDA / DH call, they will probably fly the plane into the ground. Obviously, pilots can fly an approach without altitude warnings but the point is to teach you to back them up and build up your SA.

-Always know where you are on the chart and what airfields are around you.

-Double check everything. When you twist in the final approach course on the VOR-A at Mobile Regional and twist in 140 even though the actual course is 104, don't wait to intercept 140 before you realize you made a mistake.

-Put up with the pilots who will intentionally fly off-heading and off-altitude to see if you catch it. It's not hazing, it's command authorized training.

-Get a good cross country with an instructor you know you get along well with.

-Practice point to points until you can do them, cause they suck. Don't forget to crab for wind in the plane.

-Instrument ground school is 4 weeks long, if you know all your required Turnpoint Procedures and briefs cold by the end, your instrument flights will be a lot easier.

-Try not to use your wiz wheel for fuel calculations in the plane.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Intermediate:

T-6 Vnavs
:

T-6 intermediate is another special kind of hell. This time it is hell because you have too much to do, too much to learn, and not enough time to do it. Your priorities for T-6 intermediate ground school should be: 1) make your charts. 2) Memorize TP procedures and geometries memorize the pilot-math wind analysis rules, and know how to apply them 3) Attempt to read some of the Form FTI. The PREFLIGHT KEYS to good Vnavs are studying your turnpoints (including pictures in the briefing guides, not just the chart), and picking good checkpoints (the best ones in the T-6 are on ramps for major highways, powerline intersections, bridges, and "smokestacks"). Do not neglect your Form FTI. The INFLIGHT KEY to a good vnav is fixing the winds correctly and updating them as they change on the route. Always be looking for smoke. Keep your eyes outside the cockpit. There are 6 Vnavs and 2 sims. You are eligible for your first FORM after your 3rd Vnav flight.

-Measure out the distance from your intermediate checkpoints to your turnpoints to get as accurate a time as possible. Don't just guess based on where you drew your time ticks.

-Talk to the students ahead of you about the route you are going to fly / brief.

-UNDERSTAND how to fix the winds correctly, and how to apply them to the next leg for the two-minute prior call. Use the CDI (heading bug in T-1s) to bug the winds and figure out the geometry by looking at the EHSI.

-BDHI to all your turnpoints so you don't have to use turnpoint geometry, just remember where you were so you can update the winds.

-You won't be able to see out the front of the cockpit. Brief your pilot on the turnpoints in the brief, and be descriptive in the plane, and he will tell you where the turnpoint is (he probably saw it when you turned onto that leg).

-Don't believe the T-6 Vnav FTI mentions it, but try to describe intermediate checkpoints as when, where, what. Examples in T-1 tips.

Forms:

Everyone's been there. Don't I'm safe just because you didn't get any sleep the night before (unless you seriously are a safety of flight issue). Forms is mostly memorization for the brief, which can be intense. Nothing much to say about forms except study early and often, and practice your brief with your partner. Have fun in the flights, because they are even more fun than contacts were. 4 Form flights: Parade sequqnce / tail chase, Tac-turns, and 2 Vnavs (one as lead, one as wing)

T-1's:

Instrument stuff applies from above. The difference for T-1's is that you can bug everything as soon as it is said, because not only do you have an altimeter and a heading bug, you also have an altitude preselect for assigned altitudes and a little MFD-thing to punch in communication frequencies. You shouldn't have to write down anything that is said to you in the T-1, with the exception of perhaps climb out / lost comm procedures. 4 Anavs, 4 Vnavs, and the checkride is a Vnav with an Anav back to NPA. No sims, so study those checklists in the static trainer.

-Get a good method for reading the fuel gauge before you start flying. I liked to reference where 4000, 3500, and 3000 are and go from there.

-Get ATIS as early as possible.

-Vnavs are different because 1) you are at 500 feet instead of 2000 feet, and 2) you can see out the front end of the plane.

-If an intermediate checkpoint is coming up in 30 seconds and you haven't announced it to the crew yet, go to the next one.

-If you describe your intermediate checkpoints well, 1.5-2 minutes out, either you or the pilot or the INFO are going to see it if you are close enough to course. Stick to when, where, what.

Good checkpoint description: "In 2 minutes, half mile left of course, inferred bridge. Road is perpendicular to course, river runs slightly left to right."

bad checkpoint description: "Ok, we've got an inferred bridge coming up. It's about a half mile left of course. Should be around 1+30 out. Oh, the road is perpendicular."

-Use the pilot, he is not grading you, he is there to help you.

-Use towers as intermediate checkpoints more often, but inferred bridges, on ramps, and power lines are still visible, they just need to be somewhat close to course for you to see them.

-Start to think about terrain, because you will be able to identify some turnpoint / target "environments" based on where the ridges / valleys are.

-Keep turnpoint / target / intermediate checkpoint descriptions SIMPLE (but accurate) so you can describe them without looking at your chart. You already briefed them in detail to the INFO.

i.e. "Point bravo is a sawmill past the bend in the river, on the near side of the highway. There is a white church steeple one mile north of the sawmill."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just out of curiousity (cause I have no idea what they teach you guys out there), what are turnpoint procedures? Is that like the 6 T's?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I expect to see you shortly in my world? (insert evil laughter here)

-ea6bflyr ;)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Just out of curiousity (cause I have no idea what they teach you guys out there), what are turnpoint procedures? Is that like the 6 T's?

Instrument TPs:

Two minutes prior:
two minutes prior to___
outbound heading ___ for a course of ___
ETA to (next point) is ____
we will be proceeding via ___

Mark on Top:
clear left/right, left/right ____
time is ____
place is ____
fuel on board is ____
Navaid switches to ____ / remains the same
CDI switches to ____ / remains the same

Wings level:
We are +/- ___ LBS from preflight fuel
EFR at the IAF is ____

Vnav TPs:

Two minutes prior:
two minutes prior to _____
outbound heading _____(wind-corrected)
outbound airspeed _____(wind-corrected)
altitude (if changes) _____
turnpoint description and hazards

Mark on Top:
Clear left/right
Left / right ____
Set (airspeed) ____
Descend to ____ (If necessary)

Wings Level:
Heading is ____
Airspeed is ____
Altitude is _____
Fuel is ____ / compare to MCF / recommend continue or abort
Turnpoint analysis
wind considerations
check crab
check speed

Instrument TPs I think are mostly to keep the stud stressed out and busy during the flight so that we miss radio calls and generally suck. Vnav TPs actually make sense.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The VNAV FTI says you should be outside 90% on the route. I've yet to see a stud know the intermediate checkpoints and turnpoint/target environments well enough to do so.
The lack of practice actually describing intermediate checkpoints to crewmembers is also a trend item.

Good thread, though...hopefully more students than instructors end up reading it...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
that sounds like a lot of math. good thing i'm just a monkey boy. when the weight on ass switch is engaged, math doesn't go over so well.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
haha as do i, as do i.

i make it easier on myself. setting a nice, round, even ITT is fine and good...but setting a nice, round fuel flow is even better. we'll see how that works out down the road.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Example: After level off, fuel flow is 480 PPH. At TRADR, my jet log shows a remaining 57 minutes of flight before the IAF, so I'll burn 450 # from TRADR to the IAF. 6 minutes prior to TRADR, I have 1100# onboard, so my fuel at TRADR will be 1050 (1100 - 48), and my fuel at the initial approach fix will be 600 (1050 - 450). I write that down and still have 3 minutes before the 2 minute prior call, and all my fuel calcs for the MoT and wings level are done.

First person to tell me what's wrong with this gets a Coke.