• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of NFO flight school

Casual

Jammin'
None
Hmm...looks alright to me I think. Assuming you're on your way out from NPA to TRADR, and not vice-versa.

Though I'd probably just round to one hour...hah.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I was thinking maybe I am not supposed to use my jet log for anything, but I've never heard that applied to time-to-go unless you get an enroute change of flight plan (which is another good reason to go on a cross country).

Casual

Jammin'
None
Hah, good point. I don't think I actually take the jet card out of my nav bag anymore...

I'd say for distance remaining it'd be alright though.

trackgain

Wow, It's been since 2000 since I went through and almost forgot about all that. Thought it had been dislodged out of my brain until seeing that. It is pretty good gouge. Just hope you don't get a SCREAMER as an instructor that you forget everything that you learned. For the bubbas that are going VP and other, do they still go to Randolph AFB or have they stopped that and send them to VP-30 and/or Tinker?

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I was thinking maybe I am not supposed to use my jet log for anything, but I've never heard that applied to time-to-go unless you get an enroute change of flight plan (which is another good reason to go on a cross country).

We have a winner!

Correct.... you should never use your jet card for anything. What if you have more or less wind than planned? That 57 minutes could turn out to be 50 minutes or 70 minutes. If I'm going to have more gas, great. I want to know that because it will give me more options if something goes wrong. If I'm going to have less gas, the earlier you know the better. What if you wrote down the wrong heading or TACAN channel on one of the legs? Now you are flying the wrong course to the next point or possibly navigating to the wrong navaid.

Like Richard said, the jet log is a handy place to add up all the distances since they won't change.... assuming you fly the EXACT route you filed. But as soon as ATC says "Cleared direct *where ever*...", your jet card is worthless.

Bottom line, the jet card is for planning. You should have your charts out in the jet and use them to navigate. Would you fly a low level without looking at a chart? Hell no! An airnav is no different. Level off, set airspeed, GS check, figure out distance remaining, calculate new ETA and fuel.

Go see Capt Seelmann for your Coke. I'll pay him back later.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Roger, and another good tip, as you will fly with an instructor at some point who will either 1) change your flight plan with ATC in flight, or 2) take away your jet card.

Or both.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was re-reading this thread now that I'm intermediate complete to see how much still applied, and Kickflip's gouge is still spot on. I just wanted give some VNAV/T-1 advice while it's still pretty fresh.

For VNAVS (T-6 and T-1):
Learn the difference between compensating for winds, and applying corrections. As Hozer will attest, this tripped me up on multiple VNAVs. The way I like to keep them straight is that compensating is preventing the problem from getting any worse, (ie, you're 12 seconds slow, speed up five kts to prevent yourself from getting slower), while correcting is getting yourself back to where you should be (ie, increasing speed 25kts for 2mins to get back on time). Trust me, getting this down will prevent you from ping-ponging back and forth across your course line, and pissing off your pilot in the process.

For T-1s: Practice, practice, practice the checklists. Yes, they're a pain in the ass, and you'll never have to do air force style checklists again, but not knowing how to run trim/autopilot checks or the engine startup sequence etc.. sets a bad tone for the flight. It sucks not having a sim, but run them in the static mockup, and take full advantage of your FAM-0 to figure out how everything works.

Also, learn how to read the gauges, especially fuel. I can't tell you how many times I messed up fuel calcs in the T-1 because I glanced over quickly and read the gauge incorrectly.

That's all for now, I'll add to this if I can think of anything else.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Do y'all still have to waste half of your life manually chumming your charts? Biggest fucking waste of time.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Also, learn how to read the gauges, especially fuel. I can't tell you how many times I messed up fuel calcs in the T-1 because I glanced over quickly and read the gauge incorrectly.

It pained me more than you.:icon_tong