• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of NFO flight school

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Cindy,

1)The Prowler RAG is long. FIrst you have to go through EW school. Then you check into VAQ-129 and have to learn the Prowler systems, backseat systems, tactics and all that stuff. There are a lot of backseat sims before you get to the front seat sim and then start flying. All in all, it takes about 12 months. Thats what it took me.
2) You do form into classes. After the first couple weeks, the pilots and ECMOs will separate though.
3) As far as squadron assignment, i think it all has to do with the needs of the Navy. If you have a preference, or if you want to go to Japan, i believe they will try to work it out. I have no say in where I'm going though, but i do know it will be Cherry Point.
4)Attrite rate - haven't seen anyone attrite, although I've heard its been done.
5)The F-18G IS coming for the Navy, but I don't know any more than you. I think the RAG is just trying to work out the ICAP III upgrade right now. I've heard they will start training new classes on the ICAP III shortly. Thats what most of the guys are excited about right now. ICAP III is the same systems the F-18G will use. Its much much better than what we have now.

As far as where to live in Pensacola... You will have all your training at NAS Pensacola. If you live close to base, you will be close to the beach, but you will be a little farther away from stores, malls, movie theaters... There are a lot of nice housing communities around there though. I lived about 20 minutes north, near the malls and University of West FL. There are plenty of nice houses around, I guess you should call a realtor or look on the internet.

BTW, i only have my NATOPS flight and backseat test to go, so I should have some time soon to talk more about the Prowler RAG.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Pat. As usual, good post, very informative. Know you are busy and i know all appreciate the time you spent on this thread, to the benefit of others.

Belatedly, happy 229th.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
5. Out of the ball park but I read the F18G will begin operation in FT2009 (read Sept 2008). Any thoughs on when RAG will go there, e.g., when will they fleet up to the F18G? Know crystal balls are few, but just a guess?

The plan (subject to change like any government plan) is to have training start in 2007 and the first squadron deploy in 2009. There was talk that they would start up anohter RAG like they did for Super Hornets, specifically reactivating VAQ-128 again (it was the Intruder RAG in its previous life). The Navy is suppose to be out of the Prowler business by 2012.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
Boat Stuff...
When I went through the Prowler RAG/FRS only a few FRECMO's (Fleet Replacement Electronic Counter Measures Officers....whew) got to go to the boat and ride in the BACK for CQ with some CAT I (READ Nuggets) pilots to get a bunch of Cats and Traps. Most FRS squadrons will not send any Replacement NFO's to the boat for Pilot CQ (They do send intructor NFO's). As far as the FRS is concerned, NFO instructors train Pilots and Pilot instructors train NFO's in the aircraft. Although for CQ, Pilot intructors trained replacement Pilots. Kinda scary to have an even number of anchors in the cockpit....Hope this helps!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

When I went through they were trying to send all the FRECMO's to the boat to make sure all of them got traps (a nice thing for the USAF, USMC and us Expeditionary guys) though we all rode in the back. Good thing for me too, I got all of my 11 traps out of that week. 8 years in the Navy and 5 days at sea, how the heck did that happen?? :)

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
So I've about 3 weeks of Intermediate left (just started in the T-1's) and am planning to go to VT-86 and on to Prowlers from there...If this happens, I figure I'll be winged in the early Spring of '05, and finish up the RAG in the Spring/early Summer of '06. If the Hornets are coming online in late '07, what do I have to look forward to with the Prowler?

jmac12

You will fly the prowler, and unless your lucky enough to go to a squadron that is one of the first few to transition, you will probably do your whole sea tour with the prowler. The dates you have are always subject to change, as are the dates projected for the growler to come online. Have fun at 86. hope this helps

vt9Jack

ea6bflyr said:
Boat Stuff...
When I went through the Prowler RAG/FRS only a few FRECMO's (Fleet Replacement Electronic Counter Measures Officers....whew) got to go to the boat and ride in the BACK for CQ with some CAT I (READ Nuggets) pilots to get a bunch of Cats and Traps. Most FRS squadrons will not send any Replacement NFO's to the boat for Pilot CQ (They do send intructor NFO's). As far as the FRS is concerned, NFO instructors train Pilots and Pilot instructors train NFO's in the aircraft. Although for CQ, Pilot intructors trained replacement Pilots. Kinda scary to have an even number of anchors in the cockpit....Hope this helps!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

Dude - I flew a jet with four pilots in it. And would you believe we made it to our destination. Kind of a wierd situation. We were in San Dog heading out to El Sweato. Between myslef and the other paddles and the two other pilots we were bouncing up ....

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
ea6bflyr said:
Boat Stuff...
ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

Former Prowler RAG instructor here.

RP's (replacement pilots) fly their first six flights with IP's (instructor pilots) and then do the rest of the syllabus with NFO instructors. They bounce and CQ with the same NFO instructor. NFO instructors not only fly with the pilots, we also did front seat sims with pilots and NFO's, did back seat sims with NFO students and back seat flights with NFO's.

And the old guys here might remember that VA-128 (West Coast A-6 RAG) sent crews nugget/nugget to CQ. In fact, my first 16 traps (10 day/6 night) were with a CAT I fleet replacement pilot. And the boarding rate for the A-6 RAG was as good if not better that some others.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any insight into how the F/A-18F RAG works? Similar to Steve's explanation of the EA-6B RAG?

jmac12

In the Super hornet rag your going to bounce and go to the boat with a student pilot. you do a few other events crewed with student pilots, but most of the time your flying with an instructor.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus!

Farva141 said:
Dude - I flew a jet with four pilots in it. And would you believe we made it to our destination. Kind of a wierd situation. We were in San Dog heading out to El Sweato. Between myslef and the other paddles and the two other pilots we were bouncing up ....

Four pilots! That's an accident waiting to happen. Which insane skipper allowed that? Same one that thought up that night division break, no doubt. Hey you still at 141? I know a bunch of dudes there. We did a weird 2 squadron ME phase with you when I was in 133 last year. Tell Vince to put away his GPS!

Later

GED

PurdueNavy10

P-3c Nfo

Does anyone know anything about the type of jobs that P-3C NFOs do once they are out in the fleet? What types of things they are responsible for in the air. I heard from some people that P-3 NFO is a bad job bc it is so hectic. Does anyone know anything about that? I really just want to know if I select NFO what the job is going to entail. I mean I dont just want to look at a radar screen for the entire flight.... any help?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PurdueNavy10 said:
Does anyone know anything about the type of jobs that P-3C NFOs do once they are out in the fleet? What types of things they are responsible for in the air. I heard from some people that P-3 NFO is a bad job bc it is so hectic. Does anyone know anything about that? I really just want to know if I select NFO what the job is going to entail. I mean I dont just want to look at a radar screen for the entire flight.... any help?

the radar operator is supposed to do that

I'm kidding.

start here:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1928&highlight=nfo

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6574&highlight=nfo

then use the site "search" function on the toolbar at the top of the screen and run a search for "tacco".

I'd try to post more links to threads on here, but my pc keeps taking massive dumps...so to speak.

we really need a VP NFO on this board...or maybe not...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any VP guys on here salty enough to remember flying with AOs?

Brett