• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
All that, and have a good attitude about the process. I don't normally advise that people drink the Kool-Aid, but you need to have a few sips at OCS. It makes things easier. You're not going to get rolled for a stupid reason if the class team likes you.
I've got to think that most who make it this far in the process have already left the ego at home, right? What do you do if you end up with a dbag in your class? Does the DI do some one on one or does he piss in the pool everyone swims in?

LET73

I've got to think that most who make it this far in the process have already left the ego at home, right?
For the most part, yes, but not necessarily. Some of the people who had the most trouble were the priors who'd had a few years in the real Navy and didn't feel like putting up with the hoops OCS makes you jump through. It's understandable, but it also drags the rest of the class down. As I tell my sailors who are thinking about OCS, they've got the choice to look at the program as a) a bunch of stupid sh!t they have to do in order to commission, or b) a chance to be leaders and mentors to the non-priors in their class. And prior enlisted or not, there are going to be people who don't like being there, who feel maligned by the DIs, etc.

What do you do if you end up with a dbag in your class? Does the DI do some one on one or does he piss in the pool everyone swims in?
I think it depends on your class team. My class lost a ton of people in the first three weeks, and then there were a couple of "heat shields" who got a majority of the DIs' attention. Sometimes the dbags make it through.

LET73

Yikes, do you happen to know a few reasons?
Well, keep in mind I commissioned seven years ago, so someone who's been through OCS more recently can probably give you a better idea of how things run now and if high roll rates are still the norm. That said, people rolled for failing the in-PRT, failing the third-class swim test (the basic one everyone has to do), failing RLP twice, getting hurt (including rhabdomyolysis), falling out of runs, that sort of thing. Sometimes there are academic failures, but we didn't have any. We had a handful of people DOR and one or two get kicked out, but really, if you want to make it through OCS, you will. Well over half my class--probably close to 2/3 of the people who started--rolled. All but a few eventually commissioned.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
My class went through about a year ago. Only about a dozen of us rolled, out of a class of about 60. Mostly for IST failures, one Outpost failure, and I think one or two were injured during the first week. We didn't have anyone roll on the swim test, I don't think they do that anymore, they just give you another shot later on. We had one or two roll for failing RLP twice. One rolled due to academic failure. One person was separated because they were less than forthcoming about their recreational drug use. Bottom line, most people make it through. The staff there want you to get through it as much as you do. Help them to help you, to paraphrase Jerry Maguire.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Well, keep in mind I commissioned seven years ago, so someone who's been through OCS more recently can probably give you a better idea of how things run now and if high roll rates are still the norm. That said, people rolled for failing the in-PRT, failing the third-class swim test (the basic one everyone has to do), failing RLP twice, getting hurt (including rhabdomyolysis), falling out of runs, that sort of thing. Sometimes there are academic failures, but we didn't have any. We had a handful of people DOR and one or two get kicked out, but really, if you want to make it through OCS, you will. Well over half my class--probably close to 2/3 of the people who started--rolled. All but a few eventually commissioned.

Holy cow! Over half the class? I'm confident that I can finish OCS, I am just curious of what causes other people's short coming.

WEGL12

VT-28
Holy cow! Over half the class? I'm confident that I can finish OCS, I am just curious of what causes other people's short coming.

Don't think it's that high of a roll rate now. My class lost (started about a year ago) 15 out of 70ish in the first week. Never had anyone roll after Outpost but I know later classes had some roll for RLP and academics. I would say about 10 that rolled where due to Wake Up Wednesday and Outpost. All the people that rolled commissioned except maybe 3-4. You don't need to worry just set your mind on not rolling.

LET73

Also remember the big picture. No matter how much it may suck to roll during OCS, once OCS is over no one cares if you rolled. No one really cares about OCS at all, actually, not that that's going to stop you from telling hilarious stories about things your DI said. :D

Novaspike

I was in the class that just graduated not long ago and what they were saying for roll rates is roughly accurate. In an average class/company (40 people) 1-5 people generally roll during the IST, 2-8 during welcome aboard (as outpost is called now), and another 1-6 during RLP.

We actually had two roll for academics, but it happened just before we hit candio phase.

As for sticking it out, we had a girl who started in our class and rolled on the IST twice and the welcome aboard once. She made into our Indoc class when we were candios. I gotta give her credit, it's tough having to groundhog through the first week for that long.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
We actually had two roll for academics, but it happened just before we hit candio phase.

Moboards are a bitch.

Measuring who rolls when is hard because they kept changing which events were rollable when I went through. We took the IST without a straight answer from the candios about whether or not it was rollable (it was), and had a guy sit out wakeup wednesday injured who didn't get rolled, but would have in future classes. Then there was outpost.

From a PM I wrote a while ago about whether or not to expect to be there for 12 weeks, slightly edited:
"No one really expects to be rolled, so don't do something like plan a wedding or whatever right after your expected grad date. So what some of them probably mean to say is that you could screw yourself if you make big plans contingent on taking 12 weeks. Most people roll for failing events during the first week. You might have one or two RLP failures, and once in a blue moon an academic roll. Injuries are another one, but not super common. People who have major injuries that need to be out more than three weeks are sent to med hold and work about 30 hours a week doing mundane crap and going to physical therapy. They are treated like normal people during this time. Those who get stuck after graduation or who DOR work alongside med hold in student pool until they can commission or go get separated.
To give you a run down of my OCS company:

44 started (if I recall)
We had five roll in from the class ahead of us (one guy who had rolled twice)
We had four DORs that I can remember (one of which changed his mind before being separated and rolled into the next class)
One guy reinjured himself (had a prior football injury) during the first week, spent an eternity in med hold and eventually quit
No RLP failures
Five in student pool after graduating due to designator loss
39 graduated when I did

So excluding the DORs, only 29 of 39 people who graduated in my company were at OCS for only 12 weeks.

So that makes five of 44 people who rolled out. That does feel a bit high, seeing as I can only remember two of them. The weird thing is that when people DOR or get rolled, they are just "disappeared." You might not even notice they are gone. And information spreads slowly during the first week, which is when it usually happens. It is more likely that there were some DORs that happened in the first few days that I don't remember, as folks who roll will be in the next class.

Of the 39 who graduated, five of us ended up in student pool after graduating but before commissioning. Four of us lost our pilot slots (one guy quit after a long battle with the Navy (7 months in student pool), me (7 weeks) and the other two (less than 7 weeks) all redesignated), and one guy had to do an alcohol treatment and is now in the training pipeline.

My sister company had a few people roll in and out, but their numbers weren't as bad as ours. And they had one NFO lose his spot, stay in student pool, and ended up going SWO."

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
The people who roll in that first week, is it mostly due to them being out of shape and failing the in-PRT?

shellHEfuseVT

Pro Rec-Y SNA
Any prior Marines have any insight on what OCS is like compared to Recruit Training? Does it ever reach the same intensity level? and at what point does that intensity level die off?

xltn

Any prior Marines have any insight on what OCS is like compared to Recruit Training? Does it ever reach the same intensity level? and at what point does that intensity level die off?
I think you asked the wrong group. People who just graduated could give you a better picture.
But I will throw in my op.

Yes, the DIs did scared the shit out of me for the first 3 weeks, but after that I figured them out. Move fast, and scream from the top of your lungs then they will get bored and stop fucking with you.
I might have a tougher experience than a average recruit. Even though I wasn't the fat body, I moved fast, yelled 'til I lost my voice, but I was a very hard head, had really bad temper. One DI from a different platoon found out, and he poked in my sensitive spot(made fun of my last name, talked shit about my parents--yes, they do that too). They will try everything to fuck with your mind. Long story short, I ended up put my hands on him. I almost got rolled, was slaved in the pit for an hour straight, my face was covered with spit (from getting yelled at), and the whole company knew my name. Luckily, my senior DI decided to keep me (I think he liked my characters).

Marine bootcamp: DIs are on your ass from day 1 to the day before graduation (we had 1 guy, who was destroyed in his Service B on graduation day--total shit bag--but if you're okay, they will not touch you on the last day), more physically challenged, but less academics.
Navy OCS: Less games with DIs, but more academics.
So depend on how prepared are you going into OCS.

rawhide 26

pilot
I think you asked the wrong group. People who just graduated could give you a better picture.
But I will throw in my op.

Yes, the DIs did scared the shit out of me for the first 3 weeks, but after that I figured them out. Move fast, and scream from the top of your lungs then they will get bored and stop fucking with you.
I might have a tougher experience than a average recruit. Even though I wasn't the fat body, I moved fast, yelled 'til I lost my voice, but I was a very hard head, had really bad temper. One DI from a different platoon found out, and he poked in my sensitive spot(made fun of my last name, talked shit about my parents--yes, they do that too). They will try everything to fuck with your mind. Long story short, I ended up put my hands on him. I almost got rolled, was slaved in the pit for an hour straight, my face was covered with spit (from getting yelled at), and the whole company knew my name. Luckily, my senior DI decided to keep me (I think he liked my characters).

Marine bootcamp: DIs are on your ass from day 1 to the day before graduation (we had 1 guy, who was destroyed in his Service B on graduation day--total shit bag--but if you're okay, they will not touch you on the last day), more physically challenged, but less academics.
Navy OCS: Less games with DIs, but more academics.
So depend on how prepared are you going into OCS.

OCS = being bored. Yes the majority of time you are there you are scared that you are going to get in trouble and your DI is going to see you close your eyes in class, or smile. But for the most part you are just sitting in class bored, and trying to stay awake. I came in to it thinking it was going to be hell for 3 months and it really wasn't. You will figure out the system and deal with it. If you are in shape OCS really isn't anything to worry about. Know your knowledge and you're golden. The first few weeks you live day to day/ meal to meal and then you make it past RLP and they will tell you 98% of the people graduate on time after RLP. I took it evolotion to evolution, RLP, Drill, Academics, Candio.
To be honest they have been making it easier and weaker to graduate. No offense because I was one of the first classes that "had it easier" but from what I have heard they put more rules in place to make it easier. IMO if you made it through marine boot camp, OCS will suck, but just because you are tired and bored not because it is overly Physical. Don't come out of shape and you are fine. Barely anyone rolls for any other reason than that.