• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
You could become a Naval Aviation legend, by wearing a mink lined jockstrap... with gold wings embroidered jnto the cup.:eek: The DIs would love it!:D
BzB
I mean, I didn't want to outright ask it buuut...i have no shame...and given the level of detail just now it seems as if that's been tried before. Gotta get through ocs and then maybe I'll push the fashion envelope

America

My turn for a dumb question. I received my pro rec Y for NFO recently so I don't expect a Fin Sel anytime soon, by my concern is kind of pressing.

Does anyone know how extensive the dental exam at OCS is? My concern is that I have only 1 wisdom tooth that was scheduled for extraction, but I no longer want to get it done as it's considered a surgical procedure - and from my understanding, any surgical procedure before OCS is a no no. The wisdom tooth doesn't bother me or prevent any normal functions. I'm just hoping it doesn't slow down anything if I still have it when I get to OCS and the dentist at OCS sees it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

rawhide 26

pilot
My turn for a dumb question. I received my pro rec Y for NFO recently so I don't expect a Fin Sel anytime soon, by my concern is kind of pressing.

Does anyone know how extensive the dental exam at OCS is? My concern is that I have only 1 wisdom tooth that was scheduled for extraction, but I no longer want to get it done as it's considered a surgical procedure - and from my understanding, any surgical procedure before OCS is a no no. The wisdom tooth doesn't bother me or prevent any normal functions. I'm just hoping it doesn't slow down anything if I still have it when I get to OCS and the dentist at OCS sees it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

They are going to see that and they will remove it. It's not a big deal they remove everyone's wisdom teeth if they still have them. They will remove them during candio phase and you will be SIQ for a couple days. Again not a big deal this happens to a handful of people for every class so you won't see any consequences or anything. So it's up to you do you want to have to paid for it yourself or let the navy pay for it.

America

They are going to see that and they will remove it. It's not a big deal they remove everyone's wisdom teeth if they still have them. They will remove them during candio phase and you will be SIQ for a couple days. Again not a big deal this happens to a handful of people for every class so you won't see any consequences or anything. So it's up to you do you want to have to paid for it yourself or let the navy pay for it.
Thanks so much for the insight, much appreciated!

Will it for any reason cause me to roll? I'm concerned because I'm age critical and any roll will cause me to go past my 27th.

Also, what's SIQ?

Again, thanks so much and I apologize for the questions.

loui86dz

Do or do not... there is no try-Master Yoda

Do they remove extra teeth besides one's wisdom teeth at OCS. I have an extra tooth behind my bottom incisor teeth.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Thanks so much for the insight, much appreciated!

Will it for any reason cause me to roll? I'm concerned because I'm age critical and any roll will cause me to go past my 27th.

Also, what's SIQ?

Again, thanks so much and I apologize for the questions.
If they do it during candio phase, there shouldn't be any need to roll you. There aren't any big evolutions like there are in OC phase (RLP, PI, drill comp). As long as there are no complications with the surgery, you'll be fine.

SIQ = sick in quarters. You stay in your room, people bring your meals to you, you don't PT or drill, etc. It's usually if you need to be quarantined because you came down with something infectious, or if you need to recover from something big, but not big enough to put you in med hold (like recovering from wisdom teeth removal). Basically you'll spend a few days in bed while you're recovering.

America

If they do it during candio phase, there shouldn't be any need to roll you. There aren't any big evolutions like there are in OC phase (RLP, PI, drill comp). As long as there are no complications with the surgery, you'll be fine.

SIQ = sick in quarters. You stay in your room, people bring your meals to you, you don't PT or drill, etc. It's usually if you need to be quarantined because you came down with something infectious, or if you need to recover from something big, but not big enough to put you in med hold (like recovering from wisdom teeth removal). Basically you'll spend a few days in bed while you're recovering.
Thank you so much for the detailed response and clarification. I really appreciate it!

So let me get this straight - the Navy will pay for the extraction, I get to stay in my room, I don't PT, and my meals are brought to me? I think I'll hold off on the extraction until OCS.

As a follow up, I managed to keep my wisdom teeth in Boot Camp because they determined I had enough room for them. Do they typically just remove everyone's or do they present it as an option if the wisdom teeth aren't a problem? I'm fine either way, but prefer not to have any surgeries unless necessary.

cb812

SNA
For all of you who have already been through OCS:
Due to my age, it is critical that I do not roll back a class while at OCS. I must graduate on time with my class or I will lose my SNA spot, which leads me to my question...what causes most candidates to roll while at OCS?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
For all of you who have already been through OCS:
Due to my age, it is critical that I do not roll back a class while at OCS. I must graduate on time with my class or I will lose my SNA spot, which leads me to my question...what causes most candidates to roll while at OCS?

Medical issues and athletic ability are the main reasons from what I've read.