• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

WilliamC

SNA API Current
Quick question about the medical, I got a list of shots they give you while at OCS. Do you get the shots at the medical the Monday of indoc or is it closer to the end of training? Just got a list of shots this week and was wondering when they were done.

This was probably covered, but I want to give my account. I graduated in late April:

The day after you check in will be a monday and you will go to medical. They will take a fair amount of blood from you, from which they will determine which immunizations are active in your blood. Basically if you have had a series of immunizations and they worked, and the associated antibodies are present in your blood, you will not need that shot. I showed up at OCS with no immunization record, and I did not receive a shot I remember receiving in the past, with the exception of those regular shots such as tetanus and some others which they will administer regardless. They will also do a TB test. The day we got shots was a few weeks into OCS when they had sorted everyones' medical stuff pretty well. To be honest that was a pretty fun and relaxing couple hours where it was just us and the medical staff. There won't be any DIs there, just remember to be cool, respectful, and personable to the corpsmen and they will be the same back.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What is this super secret explanation?
Not sure whether I'm supposed to talk about it on an open forum, the only word we've had on it was to keep it within training country until certain people were notified, and we got no further updates after that, so I'll play it safe. But I suppose it's safe to tell you that there was an incident, and as a result, command thought it would be bad if people continued to say "KILL" all the time.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Figured it was some kind of initiative to prevent suicide/blue-on-blue OR someone realized that saying 'kill' all the time in the fleet and treating Sailors like grunts doesn't really work out well. Since the latter actually makes sense, must be the former.

Zeppelin89

Another stupid question: When doing push-ups, are you allowed to shake an arm out so long as you keep one palm on the ground and your legs stay straight, with knees off the ground? I've found this technique useful when I start slowing down while doing my max pushup count. No point in doing it if it's not allowed at OCS though.

jander12

pilot
In response to the PRT question: No PRT coming out of Richmond Officer Recruiting District. Just body fat standards. I was told that's Navy wide... I guess it's up to the individual recruiter though to recommend a monitored PRT.

TBRaysluv

So I can't get up with my recruiter.... I am in professional school but I wont graduate professional school until 27 which would be beyond the age limit for SNA. I want to be a Naval officer in whatever capacity but I want to finish school first with the exception of SNA. I can defer/withdrawal from my professional school with no issue and finish later (they love my tuition payments) lol. I want to know if I can apply ONLY to SNA this year and if accepted I would withdrawal. Or if I have to apply to multiple programs. Also if I did this and say I wasn't accepted to SNA would it affect me applying in 2015 for other designators?

I am 25 1/2 now
I have this coming academic year (13/14) and next academic year left (14/15)

Also, I already have a BS with 3.5+ gpa

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You can apply for only pilot. If you are rejected, there's a waiting period and you have to demonstrate improvement on your app (e.g. higher ASTB scores). It wouldn't affect you applying to other designators beyond that.

I don't know why you'd finish professional school if you're not going to work in that field. There are unofficial time limits to those things and you'll find employers aren't looking for a guy 4+ years out of school with no experience.

TBRaysluv

You can apply for only pilot. If you are rejected, there's a waiting period and you have to demonstrate improvement on your app (e.g. higher ASTB scores). It wouldn't affect you applying to other designators beyond that.

I don't know why you'd finish professional school if you're not going to work in that field. There are unofficial time limits to those things and you'll find employers aren't looking for a guy 4+ years out of school with no experience.

Can the waiting period count for beyond the Age limit?

Also as per getting the professional degree, I have a lot of friends in small law so I could go join their shops if things didn't work out... Or I could hang my own shingle and listen for ambulances... lol. Plus I'm getting a JD/MBA with a substantial scholarship in the time it would take to only get a JD and I think military or not I would be able to use at least one of the 2 at some time in my future. Plus 1L year is mental hell (breaking you in) and you are kind of crazy not to finish if you only have easy sailing 2L and 3L. But I am crazy enough not to finish if I can get pilot.

Thank you for the info btw

LET73

So I can't get up with my recruiter.... I am in professional school but I wont graduate professional school until 27 which would be beyond the age limit for SNA. I want to be a Naval officer in whatever capacity but I want to finish school first with the exception of SNA. I can defer/withdrawal from my professional school with no issue and finish later (they love my tuition payments) lol. I want to know if I can apply ONLY to SNA this year and if accepted I would withdrawal. Or if I have to apply to multiple programs. Also if I did this and say I wasn't accepted to SNA would it affect me applying in 2015 for other designators?

I am 25 1/2 now
I have this coming academic year (13/14) and next academic year left (14/15)

Also, I already have a BS with 3.5+ gpa
Dude, if you want SNA, put in your package now, before you hit the age limit. What's the worst the board can say? Next question, do you want to be a naval officer more than you want to be a lawyer? If the answer is yes, also put in your package.

(The worst they can say, by the way, is yes--because then you have to make the decision.)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The waiting period was 6 months when I applied. Not sure if that's changed. So you could feesibly apply 3-4x before you hit the age limit.

If you got some friends in the biz that certainly helps your job prospects on the back-end.

exNavyOffRec

The waiting period was 6 months when I applied. Not sure if that's changed. So you could feesibly apply 3-4x before you hit the age limit.

If you got some friends in the biz that certainly helps your job prospects on the back-end.

The waiting period is still 6 months IF you have no changes to your application, if a person is a pro N then retakes the ASTB and scores higher they can re-apply right away, or if something else changes such as GPA, leadership experience, flight experience, etc....

BlueMo86

Im thinking of applying to OCS, but not really sure where to start.

26yrs of age
B.A. Business & Communications 2.7
M.A. Criminal Justice 3.2
Former College Track & Field Athlete
-Team Caption
-National Champion
Community Service
Big Brother & Sister Mentor
Work Experience
LOR's from employers

~NO ASTB Score yet

Thinking of applying to SWO, SUPPO & POA