• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
...nope, didn't know that. Huh. So does it not affect progression at all whether you max out vice barely making it through?

However, an Officers photo is displayed on the screen during every Officer promotion board, so if someone is grossly out of standards, then they may not be selected.

Until an Enlistedman is up for Senior Chief does a photo get displayed.
For E-2 thru E-6, all that matters is the test and other admin issues (like awards, number of times PNA, etc)
For CPO, there is a board, but no photo is available to the board.

So I wouldn't say there is no control mechanism for Officer promotion regarding appearing grossly out of standards.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I will also add that attempting to order sailors to show up to pt @ 0430 in my community would probably get you punched in the dick.

Do it any later before the work day and you lose 2/3 the crew to duty turnover.

Offering to aid sailors who think they need extra help with my own time was my intention. No one is ordered to do anything.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Another stupid question: If I turn 27 at OCS (non prior) am I forced to re-designate from SNA?

In theory, yes. The rule says commissioned by 27. However, NavyOffRec has pointed out that they are attentive to this issue and get people in on time.

exNavyOffRec

However, an Officers photo is displayed on the screen during every Officer promotion board, so if someone is grossly out of standards, then they may not be selected.

Until an Enlistedman is up for Senior Chief does a photo get displayed.
For E-2 thru E-6, all that matters is the test and other admin issues (like awards, number of times PNA, etc)
For CPO, there is a board, but no photo is available to the board.

So I wouldn't say there is no control mechanism for Officer promotion regarding appearing grossly out of standards.

When did they add the photo requirement to the SCPO/MCPO board? was it this year? none of my friends mentioned having to send in a picture, and to be honest if pictures are now part of it I am surprised a few people I know were selected, of course I am sure they were "in standards"

exNavyOffRec

Nevermind, somebody else asked the same question as I did. Thank you, Google Search.
From what I've seen, officers who are out of standards get cut a lot more slack than the enlisted guys--there's a reason people say FEP stands for fat enlisted people (it's actually Fitness Enhancement Program). And like Spekkio said, officers tend to get held up in meetings and the like, some of which conflict with FEP, and some of which even conflict with command PT. Officers absolutely should set an example, don't get me wrong, it's just that the Navy doesn't actually force/encourage you to do it, unlike the Marines. The only time your PRT score will matter is if you want to do some kind of special program that requires you to be in excellent physical shape. But your FITREP only indicates that you passed, whether you made it by the skin of your teeth, or pushed yourself to the limit and maxed out in every category.

The officers at my last sea command didn't get cut any slack, our FEP officers had weekly briefings with the DH, our CPO's had to meet with the Dept MCPO, when it came to measurements the XO came and watched the CPO's get measured and the CMC and XO observed the officers, that was the most by the book measurements and weigh in I ever saw!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
When did they add the photo requirement to the SCPO/MCPO board? was it this year? none of my friends mentioned having to send in a picture, and to be honest if pictures are now part of it I am surprised a few people I know were selected, of course I am sure they were "in standards"

I sat the Chief's board and I was told that the SCPO and MCPO boards did pictures and were just like the O Boards.

If I put out some bad gouge, my bad!

exNavyOffRec

I sat the Chief's board and I was told that the SCPO and MCPO boards did pictures and were just like the O Boards.

If I put out some bad gouge, my bad!

I think it would be good if they did, I have seen too many make SCPO and MCPO that were members of the "coverall hydrostatic test team"

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Couldn't find another spot for this question.

The small craft POIC pin is authorized for both enlisted and officer wear. It is the only pin that immediately changes to gold when an E becomes an O per the instructions....for an OCS candidate (myself) when would you change the pin to gold? When you change name tapes and become a candidate or when you are commissioned?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Couldn't find another spot for this question.

The small craft POIC pin is authorized for both enlisted and officer wear. It is the only pin that immediately changes to gold when an E becomes an O per the instructions....for an OCS candidate (myself) when would you change the pin to gold? When you change name tapes and become a candidate or when you are commissioned?

I would say not until you are commissioned, but you should run it by your class chief petty officer or class officer when you get there (or when you become candidate officers, since that's when you can unlock with class team, and you won't wear khakis until then anyway).

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
I would say not until you are commissioned, but you should run it by your class chief petty officer or class officer when you get there (or when you become candidate officers, since that's when you can unlock with class team, and you won't wear khakis until then anyway).
Do you not wear the NWU's with pins sewn on if you are a prior? I see the first week you are pretty much in PT gear or coveralls. Is it after indoc that you start wearing the NWU's? Should I just bring my own NWU's and they sew the tapes on or just take their issue items and bring the insignias and pins with me. I plan to get new NWU's either way so they will be inspection ready, plus they never look good when you cut tapes off and sew on new.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Do you not wear the NWU's with pins sewn on if you are a prior? I see the first week you are pretty much in PT gear or coveralls. Is it after indoc that you start wearing the NWU's? Should I just bring my own NWU's and they sew the tapes on or just take their issue items and bring the insignias and pins with me. I plan to get new NWU's either way so they will be inspection ready, plus they never look good when you cut tapes off and sew on new.

Yeah the first week is all coveralls and PT gear, and then you start wearing the NWU's after finishing your first week. You should bring your own, and they'll collect them on the Thursday of the first week to switch out the nametapes. Priors don't wear the pins on their NWU's at OCS, so they'll probably remove those at the same time. However, you do wear the pins on your khakis during candio phase, so if you have those, bring them.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Yeah the first week is all coveralls and PT gear, and then you start wearing the NWU's after finishing your first week. You should bring your own, and they'll collect them on the Thursday of the first week to switch out the nametapes. Priors don't wear the pins on their NWU's at OCS, so they'll probably remove those at the same time. However, you do wear the pins on your khakis during candio phase, so if you have those, bring them.
Roger, solves that dilemma. Thanks, any other words of wisdom unifrom wise? I just ordered medals which cost $120... :( I knew the day would come when I would have to get them.