• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Im thinking of applying to OCS, but not really sure where to start.

26yrs of age
B.A. Business & Communications 2.7
M.A. Criminal Justice 3.2
Former College Track & Field Athlete
-Team Caption
-National Champion
Community Service
Big Brother & Sister Mentor
Work Experience
LOR's from employers

~NO ASTB Score yet

Thinking of applying to SWO, SUPPO & POA

HELP NEEDED!!!!

Just saw your other thread. My b.

Zeppelin89

Got a quick question on Chain of Command, hoping to hear from a recent grad on this. The gouge has a list of 15 that I've been studying, of which the first seven I don't think I'm able to find out until I start:

Section Leader:
Class Chief Petty Officer and Class Drill Instructor:
Class Officer:
Leading Class Officer:
Assistant Operations Officer of Officer Candidate School:
Operations Officer of Officer Candidate School:
Executive Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: Commander Caston
Commanding Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: Captain Kemper
Commander, Naval Service Training Command: Rear Admiral Mewbourne
Chief of Naval Operations: Admiral Greenert
Secretary of the Navy: The Honorable Mr. Ray Mabus
Secretary of Defense: The Honorable Mr. Chuck Hagel
Vice-President of the United States: The Honorable Mr. Joseph Biden
President of the United States: The Honorable Mr. Barack Obama

Thanks for the help, I'm heading to Newport in a few days and this website has been great!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Got a quick question on Chain of Command, hoping to hear from a recent grad on this. The gouge has a list of 15 that I've been studying, of which the first seven I don't think I'm able to find out until I start:
Section Leader:
Class Chief Petty Officer and Class Drill Instructor:
Class Officer:
Lead Class Officer: LT McQuiddy, USN
Course Supervisor: CDR Bills, USN
Executive Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: CDR Duehring, USN
Commanding Officer, Officer Training Command Newport: Captain Kemper, USN
Commander, Naval Service Training Command: Rear Admiral Mewbourne, USN
Commander, Naval Education and Training Command: RADM Quinn, USN
Chief of Naval Operations: Admiral Greenert, USN
Secretary of the Navy: The Honorable Ray Mabus
Secretary of Defense: The Honorable Chuck Hagel
Vice-President of the United States: The Honorable Joseph Biden
President of the United States: The Honorable Barack Obama
Thanks for the help, I'm heading to Newport in a few days and this website has been great!
Changes in bold. "Lead Class Officer" and "Course Supervisor" are sometimes referred to as "Assistant Operations Officer" and "Operations Officer," respectively. Depends on the class team's preference.
Get used to saying "United States Navy" at the end of all of them, except for the last four and your DI (God help you if you say your DI is in the Navy during your RLP). As for the Honorable, not sure who told you that it's not part of the POTUS/VPOTUS title, because I'm pretty sure it is. Also, you don't say Mr/Mrs AND The Honorable, since they're technically both titles, and Honorable takes precedence.

Zeppelin89

Changes in bold. "Lead Class Officer" and "Course Supervisor" are sometimes referred to as "Assistant Operations Officer" and "Operations Officer," respectively. Depends on the class team's preference.
Get used to saying "United States Navy" at the end of all of them, except for the last four and your DI (God help you if you say your DI is in the Navy during your RLP). As for the Honorable, not sure who told you that it's not part of the POTUS/VPOTUS title, because I'm pretty sure it is. Also, you don't say Mr/Mrs AND The Honorable, since they're technically both titles, and Honorable takes precedence.

So Lead Class Officer and Assistant Operations Officer are the same, so no need for both in the list, so long as I remember that both represent the fourth person in my chain of command? And the same with Course Supervisor\Operations Officer? If so I'll just work on memorizing both the titles for each.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So Lead Class Officer and Assistant Operations Officer are the same, so no need for both in the list, so long as I remember that both represent the fourth person in my chain of command? And the same with Course Supervisor\Operations Officer? If so I'll just work on memorizing both the titles for each.
Right, it'll either be one combo or the other, either Lead Class Officer/Course Supervisor, or Asst. Operations Officer/Operations Officer. I was told to memorize the former, then the latter, then the former again. Your candios should let you know shortly after arriving which is preferred.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Quick question: at OCS are which PRT standards are used?

This 2011 issue of the PRT- http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/06000 Medical and Dental Services/06-100 General Physical Fitness/6110.1J.pdf (see Table 2 after page 5) with the Outstanding, Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Failure or the standards in the Physical Readiness Program packet with Outstanding High/Medium/Low.... etc.?
http://www.navy-prt.com/

High/Medium/Low is no longer used. At the IST, you need at least a Satisfactory, and you need a Good by the Out-PFA. And the Out-PFA is the one that actually goes on your record, so aim for much more than a Good.

Edit: It looks like the link I posted has all the same stats as yours, just another way of organizing it.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
And the Out-PFA is the one that actually goes on your record, so aim for much more than a Good.
You do realize that the only thing that goes on your FITREP in the Navy is a P for passing, right?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You do realize that the only thing that goes on your FITREP in the Navy is a P for passing, right?

...nope, didn't know that. Huh. So does it not affect progression at all whether you max out vice barely making it through?

BackOrdered

Contributor
...nope, didn't know that. Huh. So does it not affect progression at all whether you max out vice barely making it through?

Generally, Officers are held to a higher physical standard. So no "atta boys" for not looking physically nasty in uniforms or during PFAs. It is part of your job. If nothing else, getting up at 0400 to get your boarder line enlisted members in your division SAT for the PFA is not unheard of and is expected of you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's one of those things where YMMV. My XOs put borderline sailors on FEP prior to the PFA, and no you weren't allowed to leave your other duties/meetings/whatever at 1200 to go workout with your guys put on it.

You're expected to not look fat in uniform (hence the service photo to promotion boards), but that doesn't necessarily translate to someone who is physically fit. At the end of the day, getting satisfactory to get a "P" is the same as getting outstanding to get a "P".

LET73

From what I've seen, officers who are out of standards get cut a lot more slack than the enlisted guys--there's a reason people say FEP stands for fat enlisted people (it's actually Fitness Enhancement Program). And like Spekkio said, officers tend to get held up in meetings and the like, some of which conflict with FEP, and some of which even conflict with command PT. Officers absolutely should set an example, don't get me wrong, it's just that the Navy doesn't actually force/encourage you to do it, unlike the Marines. The only time your PRT score will matter is if you want to do some kind of special program that requires you to be in excellent physical shape. But your FITREP only indicates that you passed, whether you made it by the skin of your teeth, or pushed yourself to the limit and maxed out in every category.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I will also add that attempting to order sailors to show up to pt @ 0430 in my community would probably get you punched in the dick.

Do it any later before the work day and you lose 2/3 the crew to duty turnover.