• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Hey guys, so I know this may be a silly question, but does anyone know how they treat holidays like Labor Day weekend or Thanksgiving at OCS? I will be at OCS September 15th, and will be there through Thanksgiving and just wanted to know how that was while you are there.

Thanks in advance!

Thanksgiving at OCS was a great day. The base was on stand down so we were left to our own devices for the most part, but no liberty or anything like that. We stayed in Nimitz Hall, PTed as a class and tried to stay away from getting up to shenanigans.

The RDCs/DIs allowed for indoor chow hall procedures to be relaxed for one meal and you were able to go back for as much food as you wanted. Just don't be like me and pass out in the line while waiting for food (missed lunch because of holiday chow hall hours). Woke up to a corpsman slapping me in the face telling me to stay awake and EMS was called. I had to sit with a Candio and the CDO monitoring me away from my class. That was one of the most forlorn experiences at OCS as I watched my class have an awesome time and I was tended to by EMS, the CDO and the CO decided to swing by as well.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Thanksgiving at OCS was a great day. The base was on stand down so we were left to our own devices for the most part, but no liberty or anything like that. We stayed in Nimitz Hall, PTed as a class and tried to stay away from getting up to shenanigans.

The RDCs/DIs allowed for indoor chow hall procedures to be relaxed for one meal and you were able to go back for as much food as you wanted. Just don't be like me and pass out in the line while waiting for food (missed lunch because of holiday chow hall hours). Woke up to a corpsman slapping me in the face telling me to stay awake and EMS was called. I had to sit with a Candio and the CDO monitoring me away from my class. That was one of the most forlorn experiences at OCS as I watched my class have an awesome time and I was tended to by EMS, the CDO and the CO decided to swing by as well.

That was you!

I almost threw up in drill because I ate waaaayyyy too much. Thanksgiving was the best day we had at OCS, except for CandiO phase.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Here is how it is going now:
Week 1: Indoc week
Week 2: Lots of drill and RLP prep
Week 3: RLP later in week, start Sea Power (Naval history)
Week 4: Sea power final
Week 5: Drill competition, start Engineering & Weapons, Naval Orientation and Warfare
Week 6: 6th Week inspection (Khakis and a bit of knowledge, easy one), finals for EW and NOW
Week 7: Navigation, Naval Orientation and Seamanship (Moboard hell)
Week 8: ORLP, Finals for Nav and NOS
Week 9: Lots of briefs, capstone event replaced victory run in middle of the week, candio phase starts
Week 10-12: Candio phase, with out PFA in week 11 now (not sure if other PFAs were moved)

Note that each class is two weeks with a quiz at the end of week 1 and a test in week 2. The whole time you will be doing drill, PT, and briefs on leadership etc, as well as fun stuff like the wet trainer and firefighting. They told us they are planning to rework the academics to make it more about leadership.

Sonog

pilot
Here is how it is going now:
Week 1: Indoc week
Week 2: Lots of drill and RLP prep
Week 3: RLP later in week, start Sea Power (Naval history)
Week 4: Sea power final
Week 5: Drill competition, start Engineering & Weapons, Naval Orientation and Warfare
Week 6: 6th Week inspection (Khakis and a bit of knowledge, easy one), finals for EW and NOW
Week 7: Navigation, Naval Orientation and Seamanship (Moboard hell)
Week 8: ORLP, Finals for Nav and NOS
Week 9: Lots of briefs, capstone event replaced victory run in middle of the week, candio phase starts
Week 10-12: Candio phase, with out PFA in week 11 now (not sure if other PFAs were moved)

Note that each class is two weeks with a quiz at the end of week 1 and a test in week 2. The whole time you will be doing drill, PT, and briefs on leadership etc, as well as fun stuff like the wet trainer and firefighting. They told us they are planning to rework the academics to make it more about leadership.

capstone event? No more victory run?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
capstone event? No more victory run?

It is a lot of outdoor group leadership exercise stuff. See the OTCN facebook page for pics. Some of it borrows from things the marines do in boot camp according to one of the DIs. I did a victory run with my class, but then got to be a guinea pig for some of this during my own candio phase. This stuff was actually pretty cool and when asked we all recommended it to master guns. The first class that did it had good things to say as well. One of the running themes in the out briefs for a while has been "we want more get-your-hands-dirty military training" and OCS listened. I'm glad they did, because it has been paining me to admit that my sister's AFROTC summer training is more marine-like than a program run by marine DIs.

Sumit

Do we need coveralls in OCS? They are issued in bootcamp and I haven't touched mine at all, I am thinking about taking them with me to OCS so that I don't have to pay for them over there. Please advise.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Do we need coveralls in OCS? They are issued in bootcamp and I haven't touched mine at all, I am thinking about taking them with me to OCS so that I don't have to pay for them over there. Please advise.

Nope, you will be issued coveralls. However, if you're feeling brave, bring your own and label them "Poopy Suit" with duct tape. Then report back to us three months later and let us know what happened. :)

Sumit

LOL, what I meant was the blue coveralls that you wear onboard ships. I have seen pics of those green coveralls but never the blue ones.
Nope, you will be issued coveralls. However, if you're feeling brave, bring your own and label them "Poopy Suit" with duct tape. Then report back to us three months later and let us know what happened. :)

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
LOL, what I meant was the blue coveralls that you wear onboard ships. I have seen pics of those green coveralls but never the blue ones.

No, you won't need them. Priors can advise you on which things they brought although IIRC not much in case they were in bad shape for inspections.

And don't bring suede boots or flight boots. You'll have a bad day.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
As you were! We're not allowed to call them "poopy suits" at OCS anymore. They're now "green coveralls" only. Other inane changes include:
White board -> visual aid panel
Gargoyles -> officer candidates under instruction
Bag nasties -> box lunches

Also we're not allowed to say "KILL!" as a ditty anymore. Even though we're in the military, and it's kind of what we do.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
As you were! We're not allowed to call them "poopy suits" at OCS anymore. They're now "green coveralls" only. Other inane changes include:

Also we're not allowed to say "KILL!" as a ditty anymore. Even though we're in the military, and it's kind of what we do.

I'm pretty sure every OCS class eventually has that "Holy crap, is that really what's happening at OCS now?" moment. Your post just gave me my first one, and your class was right at our heels!

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

VAP instead of white/blackboard is a navy-wide thing according to someone at OTCN who was telling me about it. Apparently it could be offensive...not joking.

I don't get the gargoyle and poopie suit name changes. It wasn't like anyone ever called indocs "the poopies" like I think they did in the past (or I could just be remembering Officer and a Gentlemen. And I actually liked bag nasties because you didn't have to eat by the numbers and got to enjoy a nutri grain bar or two.

Just curious, did they tell you why?

MGoBrew11

pilot

Good God. This is the most depressing news I've heard a long time. Glad I barely made it through when at least some of that was still alive, although it was already getting pretty PC before/while I was there. What do they say instead of "Kill" now? "Love"?

When I was there some of my classmates got destroyed for calling RPT a "beating". From then on we called it "getting served cake". We tried to nickname our DI "cake boss" on his shirt. He wouldn't let us.