• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Is it possible to change designations prior and/or at OCS? I was originally selected Pilot during the November board but I am now interested in Supply. It's been over a year since I started applying to OCS and its going to be another 5 months until I leave. During this time I've changed lots and feel that the supply corps would be a better route for me. I'd still be stoked and dedicated to being a pilot, just curious if changing designations actually happens.

Couldn't find anything on the forums or online regarding the possibilities of this happening

Not really unless you get MED DQ'd from pilot which happens quite a bit.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
No they can't make you get it prior, if you already had the vaccine you still go to ROM. We will receive the vaccine at OCS, future classes should expect to arrive and be vaccinated probably during Indoc. I don't know which brand of vaccine we will get though.
They can't make you get it at OCS either, not while it's on Emergency Use Authorization. NAVADMIN 327/20 directs.

"2.b. Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). The current vaccines released under
Federal Drug Administration (FDA) EUA or Expanded Availability (EA) are
expected to receive full licensure in the future. While the SARs-CoV-2
vaccine is released under EUA/EA guidance, vaccination is voluntary for
service members. For those members that have questions or concerns about the
vaccine, they are encouraged to reach out to their medical providers for
questions."

That said, once it's fully cleared, you can bet it's going to be mandatory.

Anyone know if USAA gives any discounts for OCS purchases beyond the typical cash back? Or is the STAR card the best option? Buy it on STAR, pay it with my USAA CC, then pay off the USAA card? Is that allowed? ?
To my knowledge, USAA does not offer discounts for OCS. Paying off the STAR card with the USAA card would probably be treated as a balance transfer, and as such wouldn't get you any benefits associated with the USAA card, unless you have a low enough APR to overcome the balance transfer fee if you really don't want to pay it off right away. And that scenario is never really worth it unless there's no balance transfer fee and the APR is 0%. You'll have plenty of cash after otherwise spending no money for 3 months to pay off the card anyway.

Best course of action is typically to just set aside the money while you're going through OCS, put it all on the STAR card at the end for the 10% off, and then pay it off.
Is it possible to change designations prior and/or at OCS? I was originally selected Pilot during the November board but I am now interested in Supply. It's been over a year since I started applying to OCS and its going to be another 5 months until I leave. During this time I've changed lots and feel that the supply corps would be a better route for me. I'd still be stoked and dedicated to being a pilot, just curious if changing designations actually happens.

Couldn't find anything on the forums or online regarding the possibilities of this happening
Like Art said, not likely unless you get DQ'ed. I think that'd be something you'd discuss with your recruiter. I don't have any experience with that situation so I can't say for sure, but I imagine you would have to put another package in with Supply as your number 1.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Yes. You will have the option to decline it, as of currently. Other vaccines, you will not have the option.
I have no problems with the other vaccines. I'm just not keen on the emergency use status of the covid vaccine.
They can't make you get it at OCS either, not while it's on Emergency Use Authorization. NAVADMIN 327/20 directs.

"2.b. Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). The current vaccines released under
Federal Drug Administration (FDA) EUA or Expanded Availability (EA) are
expected to receive full licensure in the future. While the SARs-CoV-2
vaccine is released under EUA/EA guidance, vaccination is voluntary for
service members. For those members that have questions or concerns about the
vaccine, they are encouraged to reach out to their medical providers for
questions."

That said, once it's fully cleared, you can bet it's going to be mandatory.

To my knowledge, USAA does not offer discounts for OCS. Paying off the STAR card with the USAA card would probably be treated as a balance transfer, and as such wouldn't get you any benefits associated with the USAA card, unless you have a low enough APR to overcome the balance transfer fee if you really don't want to pay it off right away. And that scenario is never really worth it unless there's no balance transfer fee and the APR is 0%. You'll have plenty of cash after otherwise spending no money for 3 months to pay off the card anyway.

Best course of action is typically to just set aside the money while you're going through OCS, put it all on the STAR card at the end for the 10% off, and then pay it off.
Oh, I have no doubt they'll make it mandatory. I have no problem with it once it's FDA approved, until then, not my thing.
And I'm not worried about the balance. I've got the cash to pay for the $3500 or so in uniforms outright, I was just wondering what the best way to do it was going to be. Just checked, USAA has a 3% fee transfer, so it doesn't really make sense for me to transfer it to my USAA card. So that ~$3500 transfer would cost me around $130, eating about 50% of the savings from the STAR card. I'll just get the STAR card and pay it off directly.
I won't get the benefit of not spending money during OCS as I'll have to pay for my family, but with E-5 salary and Newport-level BAH/BAS, I'll be earning about the same as I do in my current job, but with a lower tax bracket. Hopefully, I can have about $1500 saved up at the end of OCS.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Navy Fed credit cards offer 30K points if you spend at least $3K in the first 90 days... If you get the opportunity to apply you could use it to pay off the star card then take some free trips.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Does anyone know if outside personnel are being allowed into graduation ceremonies to perform the first salute?
As of the class that graduated a week or two ago, it was a closed ceremony. The OTCN Facebook page is good about answering these questions in the comments of their videos.

As far as first salutes, someone in another thread mentioned that as long as they have base access, they should be able to meet you somewhere, but they will be a part of the first salute gauntlet. Your RDC and DI will be the first salutes (in most cases).

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
As of the class that graduated a week or two ago, it was a closed ceremony. The OTCN Facebook page is good about answering these questions in the comments of their videos.

As far as first salutes, someone in another thread mentioned that as long as they have base access, they should be able to meet you somewhere, but they will be a part of the first salute gauntlet. Your RDC and DI will be the first salutes (in most cases).
My brother is currently at OCS in the May 5 class. They've been told no family at graduation except spouses. That includes no children.

Edit: This is what I hear from my sister in law.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
I assume my SIL wanted to bring the kids. Only reason I'd want my daughter there is because she would be <1 year old if I graduate in 2021.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired

First salute is not a formal thing anymore.

rsbatac1

Just submitted for Supply 01JUN2021 board and just want some honest opinions on my chances. Here are some stats:

OAR: 51
GPA: 3.58
Degree: BS Business Administration
Sex: Male
Appraisals: O6 (10's), 05 (10's), and O4 (10's) All Supply Officers
CO Endorsement: All trait ratings Outstanding
LOR: Former CO (O6 Ret.) and professor (O6 Airforce Ret.)
Evals: EP, MP, and EP(#6 of 37)
Service: 9 years - CSS1
Awards: NAM (5th), Sailor of the Quarter (Quarter 2 2021)
MISC: PPME complete, CMEO, Suicide Prevention Coordinator

Negatives:
NJP in 2017
Open Container Case in 2010 - prior to Navy enlistment - Dismissed
GPA from college in 2009 - 2010 for 3 semesters was bad. 6 credit hours were transferred to current degree. Not sure how they will calculate.

Would appreciate honest feedback so I know exactly where I can improve to better my chances.