• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Andrew_franny

In the time waiting for a MEPS appointment, should I occasionally check in with my recruiter to see if things are still moving along? I just don't want to be a bother

ahansen

In the time waiting for a MEPS appointment, should I occasionally check in with my recruiter to see if things are still moving along? I just don't want to be a bother
I would suggest checking in. My recruiter kept saying he’d send my papers/ MEPS request in tomorrow but next week I’d check he still hadn’t and would say he’d do it tomorrow. I think he was overwhelmed and kept putting it off. If I hadn’t pressed him I would’ve missed my window for the upcoming board. They’ve got a lot on their plate so just be polite about it.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I would suggest checking in. My recruiter kept saying he’d send my papers/ MEPS request in tomorrow but next week I’d check he still hadn’t and would say he’d do it tomorrow. I think he was overwhelmed and kept putting it off. If I hadn’t pressed him I would’ve missed my window for the upcoming board. They’ve got a lot on their plate so just be polite about it.
Call or drop by his/her office. Being able to effectively communicate is more than just a”Navy” skill. Might be part of your problem. People tend to not prioritize if the source does not seem dire. In this case, your OR considers you the aforementioned source.

If my EAOS is dated while I’m attending OCS, do I need to extend or reenlist? I know that my contract is voided upon graduation but I’m wondering what happens if my contract expires while at OCS...?

can anyone answer with certainty? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jayhon

Im just finishing Rom now and you will not be allowed out of your rooms except for pt for the first two weeks. Anything you need will have to be bought online and shipped to you for that time. After rom you will purchase things you need from the NEX but you will use NEX cards for any of your purchases, they discourage personal credit card usage until near graduation.

Thank you for this info!! I've been wondering who to ask for this. Ive been hearing we have to spend about 3-4k on outfits? Is this still true. Is the NEX card like a card that deducts from your overall pay when OCS is done?

Meyerkord

pilot
Thank you for this info!! I've been wondering who to ask for this. Ive been hearing we have to spend about 3-4k on outfits? Is this still true. Is the NEX card like a card that deducts from your overall pay when OCS is done?
I think my bill at the end was around 3k, so yeah it's accurate. You'll receive a uniform stipend through your paycheck, but it won't cover the entire cost. Mine was about 1700. When you arrive, they give you pre-loaded NEX gift cards that you'll use to purchase your uniforms and items throughout the duration of OCS. Then at the end, you'll "pay-off" all the gift cards in one transaction. This is where the STAR card comes in handy because they give you 10% off your first purchase, which comes out to ~$300 in savings.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
OCS PRO REC Y’s...

Have they pushed you to get vaccinated prior to arriving? Those who are vaccinated, did they still make you ROM? ?
No they can't make you get it prior, if you already had the vaccine you still go to ROM. We will receive the vaccine at OCS, future classes should expect to arrive and be vaccinated probably during Indoc. I don't know which brand of vaccine we will get though.

JMT865

NAVY PILOT/NFO Medical Qualifications.

I am going to MEPS in a few weeks. I am submitting a SNA/NFO package in June. At MEPS, does anybody have information regarding how medical waivers go? I had a few football injuries in high school (breaks, sprains, tears, etc.), but am fully functional now running, lifting weights, pushups, planks, etc.. I am sure I will get waivers for those past injuries and have no worries about that, but I am posting on here to see if anybody else has similar experiences when getting medically cleared for OCS and the pilot/NFO pipeline.

Also, I am aware that there are many medical physicals along the path to become a pilot or NFO that have the ability to disqualify somebody from continuing down that pipeline. How do these physicals go? And, what are physical ailments that disqualify people from, in the long run, going through and graduating from Flight Training? My vision exceeds 20/20 and hearing is not an issue, it is the past bone-breaks and ligament tears that I am mostly worried about.

Meyerkord

pilot
NAVY PILOT/NFO Medical Qualifications.

I am going to MEPS in a few weeks. I am submitting a SNA/NFO package in June. At MEPS, does anybody have information regarding how medical waivers go? I had a few football injuries in high school (breaks, sprains, tears, etc.), but am fully functional now running, lifting weights, pushups, planks, etc.. I am sure I will get waivers for those past injuries and have no worries about that, but I am posting on here to see if anybody else has similar experiences when getting medically cleared for OCS and the pilot/NFO pipeline.

Also, I am aware that there are many medical physicals along the path to become a pilot or NFO that have the ability to disqualify somebody from continuing down that pipeline. How do these physicals go? And, what are physical ailments that disqualify people from, in the long run, going through and graduating from Flight Training? My vision exceeds 20/20 and hearing is not an issue, it is the past bone-breaks and ligament tears that I am mostly worried about.
Can’t help you much in regards to the details of waivers, but I know multiple people who’ve had sports injuries and surgeries that got waivers just fine, it’s no big deal. As long as you’re not limited in your ability to reach out and flip switches or push foot pedals, I don’t see why they’d stop you from flying. Biggest things for physicals is vision by far, but it sounds like you’re good there. Other big thing for the initial physical is your anthro measurements which can limit you from specific platforms

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I think my bill at the end was around 3k, so yeah it's accurate. You'll receive a uniform stipend through your paycheck, but it won't cover the entire cost. Mine was about 1700. When you arrive, they give you pre-loaded NEX gift cards that you'll use to purchase your uniforms and items throughout the duration of OCS. Then at the end, you'll "pay-off" all the gift cards in one transaction. This is where the STAR card comes in handy because they give you 10% off your first purchase, which comes out to ~$300 in savings.
Or sign up for an Amex or another card and take care of the minimum spend and get those points/ miles. ;)

tg619805

Is it possible to change designations prior and/or at OCS? I was originally selected Pilot during the November board but I am now interested in Supply. It's been over a year since I started applying to OCS and its going to be another 5 months until I leave. During this time I've changed lots and feel that the supply corps would be a better route for me. I'd still be stoked and dedicated to being a pilot, just curious if changing designations actually happens.

Couldn't find anything on the forums or online regarding the possibilities of this happening

Last edited:

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Or sign up for an Amex or another card and take care of the minimum spend and get those points/ miles. ;)
Anyone know if USAA gives any discounts for OCS purchases beyond the typical cash back? Or is the STAR card the best option? Buy it on STAR, pay it with my USAA CC, then pay off the USAA card? Is that allowed? ?

OCS PRO REC Y’s...

Have they pushed you to get vaccinated prior to arriving? Those who are vaccinated, did they still make you ROM? ?
I got the vaccine pushed to me as a way to "avoid ROM", but as @Ghost SWO said, we'll still be ROM'd regardless.

No they can't make you get it prior, if you already had the vaccine you still go to ROM. We will receive the vaccine at OCS, future classes should expect to arrive and be vaccinated probably during Indoc. I don't know which brand of vaccine we will get though.
Can we decline the vaccine? I'm not particularly interested in taking it.