• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

GloBoys

The rule is that if temperature with windchill is over 20 degrees, you PT outside. Also, you’d be instructed to wear all your winter gear with that kind of weather..so…with say..a 25 degree morning kinda thing, you’d wear about three layers worth of clothes, plus gloves and a beanie. You are allowed to wear more layers underneath so long ppl cannot see them. i’d recommend thermal underwear for the days you wear khakis. During PT people are allowed to dress down all the way down to shorts and t shirt if they want to. During my 15 weeks at OCS (xmas break included, no I didn’t roll) I saw nobody getting pneumonia or bronchitis, nor have I heard of anybody developing any of that. Couple people did catch the CoCo, and no, none of them got disqualified
Ahh got it. and Sorry I meant to say that they were rolled not npq’d *yikes*.

Taft27

Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to take the ASTB next month and have been getting myself back into good physical shape preparing for a shot at OCS. Planks I easily score into the Excellent category. With pushups I can barely get into the Good category currently with good form, but I am not too worried about upping those numbers. I was running about 2.5-3 miles a day, 6 days a week for some time (over half a year) until I hurt my hamstring back in October and unfortunately I have had lingering issues with my hamstring ever since which has really sidelined me from being able to perform any running. It really hasn't gotten any better and so I will finally be seeing a doctor about it in 2 weeks where Im expecting them to give me a shot (really bad knot in the muscle that wont go away) and physical therapy. Although I really enjoyed my daily running I wasn't particularly fast with it (1.5 miles in 11-12 minutes), and now that I have been unable to keep myself conditioned for the past 2 and a half months I really fear that it could take some time to get back to acceptable numbers. I was wondering if anyone in these forums basically had to start running from scratch to prepare for OCS and how long it took?

villo0692

Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to take the ASTB next month and have been getting myself back into good physical shape preparing for a shot at OCS. Planks I easily score into the Excellent category. With pushups I can barely get into the Good category currently with good form, but I am not too worried about upping those numbers. I was running about 2.5-3 miles a day, 6 days a week for some time (over half a year) until I hurt my hamstring back in October and unfortunately I have had lingering issues with my hamstring ever since which has really sidelined me from being able to perform any running. It really hasn't gotten any better and so I will finally be seeing a doctor about it in 2 weeks where Im expecting them to give me a shot (really bad knot in the muscle that wont go away) and physical therapy. Although I really enjoyed my daily running I wasn't particularly fast with it (1.5 miles in 11-12 minutes), and now that I have been unable to keep myself conditioned for the past 2 and a half months I really fear that it could take some time to get back to acceptable numbers. I was wondering if anyone in these forums basically had to start running from scratch to prepare for OCS and how long it took?
yes

RhodesReese

Private message me. I have a program I used for running. If you were running a 11-12 min 1.5 mile, pending your age, you’ll be fine. We ran quite often when I was there so you will get faster just by being there. I’d recommend working on body weight exercises such as

Leg lifts
Burpees
Pushups
Planks
Side planks
Running planks
In and outs
V ups

That’s what will get you at OCS and you need to have very good form or they can and will pull you.

villo0692

Hello everyone,

Okay on a real note. First thing. You haven’t even taken the ASTB. Idk if you’ve seen how things are going with aviation selection boards and OCS ship dates, but you ain’t getting to Newport anytime soon. So you have time. Second. 1.5 miles in 11-12 min is a pace of 7:40 to 8 min per mile is good, and running 2.5-3 miles at that pace is good too. However, if you’re running all of your 6 runs a week at that pace, I’m honestly not surprised you got injured. The bulk of your runs have to be easy runs, unless you’re an advance-elite runner, I highly doubt your easy paces are under 8:30. I run around 35 miles a week and my 10 mile easy pace is 8:45 on a cold, non humid, non windy day (my 1.5 mile is 9:30 for reference). So once you start running again, if you wanna keep your 6 runs format, I would limit it to 2 fast runs, 4 easy runs (I mean EASY, as in you should be able to have a conversation…less that 155 bpm roughly).
Moreover. The exercises they recommended you are good, like the pushups, burpess, leg lifts and shit. HOWEVER, I would add to that rows, pullups, facepulls and band pullaparts. If you don’t, and you over do it, you might end up looking like my good old boy Quasimodo, and potentially be DQ’d cuz of a hunch back (one of my OCS roomates is living the SWO life because of this same reason)
“But David! What about OCS? We cannot do any of those pulling motions there!”
Well thanks for asking Alice! ☝️ You can take resistance bands to OCS and do all of this back/rotator cuff extravaganza whenever you got time, I did, and so did many others.

Take it as you will, just trying to help

vbts13

any recent ocs grads, are they still requiring masks for the first 3 weeks and/or frequent covid testing?

RhodesReese

any recent ocs grads, are they still requiring masks for the first 3 weeks and/or frequent covid testing?
Yes. Covid test when you check in. Masks required for the first Three weeks.

If you develop symptoms of any kind they can direct you to get a Covid test and if positive you will ROM for five days

RhodesReese

Should I bring new boots or worn in boots to ocs?
Depends on the serviceability of your old
Boots. The RDC needs to approve them prior to use. If they aren’t in good condition he or she will make you buy new ones.

I didn’t like the rocky brand steel toe boots so I got the Bellevilles which were softer and easier to break in. I’m glad I got them.

Also, priors typically don’t get as many, if any at all, blisters when they get there as we have worn boots for many years.

So my recommendations are:

1. If you aren’t used to wearing boots, get them now and break them in.

2. If you don’t want the rocky steel toe boots, buy the Belleville 800ST before you get there. As they don’t sell them in the uniform store.