• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

errantensign

Looking for some people to contribute to my site, www.errantensign.com. If you’ve recently been to OCS or have current experience in any officer field (intel, SWO, nuke, etc) I’d love to share your experience so that others can learn what it’s like. I get lots of questions on the life of a SWO/day to day ops/training and would really like to cover more of that info that I don’t have experience with.

seakat

Since this is stupid questions about OCS - anyone have tips / tricks for memorizing Appendix B, C, & D? I am struggling with the longer parts and making sure it is verbatim. Specific numbers, shorter answers, and information like that I am golden. Is it just reviewing it enough times? If there is a chain for it already - let me know!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Since this is stupid questions about OCS - anyone have tips / tricks for memorizing Appendix B, C, & D? I am struggling with the longer parts and making sure it is verbatim. Specific numbers, shorter answers, and information like that I am golden. Is it just reviewing it enough times? If there is a chain for it already - let me know!

How did you review + study exams / midterms in college?

Focus on the alligator closest to the boat and don't even think of Charlie or Delta until after RLP. There is a lot less stuff in Charlie to memorize and your 6 week inspection will be cake, nothing like RLP at all. I would recommend starting studying Delta in JOC phase though since Charlie is so easy. It'll help out a ton when you need more time in SOC phase to study for nav.

Now for studying bravo there really isn't a huge trick to it aside from taking it bite-sized chunks at a time and devoting time to look at it each day. Making silly mnemonic devices or associations helps, but it's all just rote memorization. Once you get the verbatim stuff down you'll want to work on your recall as they're most likely not going to ask you to list them off in the exact order they are bravo. They like to jump between things to keep you guessing so you've got to be able to quickly make that switch in your head and recall the 6th general watchstanding principle just like that. They may also throw you curveballs like "Recite the general orders in backwards order odd numbers only! BURPEES!" so just be ready for that.

Also while you want to get it as close to 100% as possible, if you're loud and 98% correct with your answer, they might not catch it. This is especially true for some of the longer ones that they honestly might not know completely verbatim off the top of their head either. Don't expect leniency on the big ones though like the mission of the navy. So yeah, get it as close to perfect as you can, but don't stress too much and be freaking loud.

Last edited:

seakat

Focus on the alligator closest to the boat and don't even think of Charlie or Delta until after RLP. There is a lot less stuff in Charlie to memorize and your 6 week inspection will be cake, nothing like RLP at all. I would recommend starting studying Delta in JOC phase though since Charlie is so easy. It'll help out a ton when you need more time in SOC phase to study for nav.

Now for studying bravo there really isn't a huge trick to it aside from taking it bite-sized chunks at a time and devoting time to look at it each day. Making silly mnemonic devices or associations helps, but it's all just rote memorization. Once you get the verbatim stuff down you'll want to work on your recall as they're most likely not going to ask you to list them off in the exact order they are bravo. They like to jump between things to keep you guessing so you've got to be able to quickly make that switch in your head and recall the 6th general watchstanding principle just like that. They may also throw you curveballs like "Recite the general orders in backwards order odd numbers only! BURPEES!" so just be ready for that.
Good to know. Thank you for the insight!

JoeBob1788

Just repeat it until you can recall it. Brute force rote memorization. Do what you can before you get there for sure, but if you use the time at OCS well you’ll have plenty of time.

But the real preparation issue is physical. We rolled about 60% of our class in late 2022. I think maybe 1 or 2 of those were for “lack of knowledge”, the rest were “failure to perform”. The Marines in particular based your score on physical performance; if you were beasting it and were loud, hey, everything looks and sounds good. Struggle physically, hmm all of your measurements are off and your answers are wrong.

I’ve heard that 3 weeks in H isn’t the worst, and they’ll help you get in shape, but I was glad to keep it a 13 week program and get on with life. So memorize, just maybe do calisthenics while you do.

RhodesReese

Repetition.

I recorded all of bravo knowledge and listened to it over and over again on my way to and from work. Had all of bravo down verbatim by the time I go to OCS. Then I just worked on reciting it while doing two things at once and while during PT.

seakat

Just repeat it until you can recall it. Brute force rote memorization. Do what you can before you get there for sure, but if you use the time at OCS well you’ll have plenty of time.

But the real preparation issue is physical. We rolled about 60% of our class in late 2022. I think maybe 1 or 2 of those were for “lack of knowledge”, the rest were “failure to perform”. The Marines in particular based your score on physical performance; if you were beasting it and were loud, hey, everything looks and sounds good. Struggle physically, hmm all of your measurements are off and your answers are wrong.

I’ve heard that 3 weeks in H isn’t the worst, and they’ll help you get in shape, but I was glad to keep it a 13 week program and get on with life. So memorize, just maybe do calisthenics while you do.
Thank you for the feedback. Will work on just memorizing. Physical fitness has been notated as very important and I’ve been working on that as well. Thank you for your insight and advice!

seakat

Repetition.

I recorded all of bravo knowledge and listened to it over and over again on my way to and from work. Had all of bravo down verbatim by the time I go to OCS. Then I just worked on reciting it while doing two things at once and while during PT.
Great idea!! Thank you!

offbrandchris

I've found a few comments about this topic but I figured I'd ask a more targeted question. I'm shipping to OCS soon and am trying to get all my gear in order. I'm looking into getting the white underwear which is required (as I own no white underwear) and wanted to ensure that boxer-brief style underwear is allowed, despite the recruiting material specifying briefs. Does anyone have any past experience or reccomendations for a decent underwear, preferably wicking/athletic type?

Also for the physical prep I'd highly recommend focusing on HIIT workouts. Even if you're fairly in shape, if you're used to those sorts of workouts they can be pretty brutal. Try to do like 60-90 seconds intervals of exercises like leg lifts, burpees, bicycle kicks, Russian twists, and pushups with no breaks in between for like 10 minutes. That's kind of what your big evolutions that people get rolled for are going to be like.

I've found a few comments about this topic but I figured I'd ask a more targeted question. I'm shipping to OCS soon and am trying to get all my gear in order. I'm looking into getting the white underwear which is required (as I own no white underwear) and wanted to ensure that boxer-brief style underwear is allowed, despite the recruiting material specifying briefs. Does anyone have any past experience or reccomendations for a decent underwear, preferably wicking/athletic type?

They don't actually check the underwear you are wearing, so as long as it's not showing you can pretty much wear whatever. I wore plaid boxers most days except for PT where I wore gray compression shorts that were actually visible during some workouts. Black, gray, or white briefs or boxer briefs should be fine during PT.

I do believe they make you buy underwear there because it's an inspectable item for RLP, but you're not required to actually wear it. Just make sure it's folded properly and in your drawer for RLP.

RhodesReese

They don’t check your underwear and they don’t issue them. Buy one pair of white boxer briefs to wear during OPI and graduation if you are in whites. That’s it.

seakat

Also for the physical prep I'd highly recommend focusing on HIIT workouts. Even if you're fairly in shape, if you're used to those sorts of workouts they can be pretty brutal. Try to do like 60-90 seconds intervals of exercises like leg lifts, burpees, bicycle kicks, Russian twists, and pushups with no breaks in between for like 10 minutes. That's kind of what your big evolutions that people get rolled for are going to be like.

They don't actually check the underwear you are wearing, so as long as it's not showing you can pretty much wear whatever. I wore plaid boxers most days except for PT where I wore gray compression shorts that were actually visible during some workouts. Black, gray, or white briefs or boxer briefs should be fine during PT.

I do believe they make you buy underwear there because it's an inspectable item for RLP, but you're not required to actually wear it. Just make sure it's folded properly and in your drawer for RLP.
Thank you! Going to incorporate HIIT more into my routine.

Looking for good boot recommendations. Former enlisted Army and really loved my Oakley Light Assault boots that are essentially high top running shoes. Looking for the nearest equivalent that is in regs for the Navy. What do y'all recommend?