• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

If you can run 3-5 miles, 3x per week I think you’ll be more than fine. Some mornings you’ll do sprints, others you’ll do longer based runs. It’s been almost three years since I’ve been, but I doubt it’s changed much. Just bring good running shoes in case they’re still issuing garbage ones.
Thank you. What was a typical longer run like? A timed 3 mile run?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Thank you. What was a typical longer run like? A timed 3 mile run?
I think the longest run we did was probably around 4-5 miles around the campus. Wasn’t timed, and you could run with the slow, medium, or fast group based on ability.

Creeping_Geep

How much running is done at ocs? What I'm looking for is to see if I need to be able to run 3-5 or even more miles in a certain amount of time.
I've been in the Navy for 16 years, never had to run farther or faster than 5 miles in 40 minutes. Take that for what you will.

I've been in the Navy for 16 years, never had to run farther or faster than 5 miles in 40 minutes. Take that for what you will.
Haha well that's good to know. I've been in for 10 years. Longest I've had to run was at A school like 3 miles. Now that I'm old I'm worried the PT at OCS is going to kick my butt even though I'm fairly fit.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Haha well that's good to know. I've been in for 10 years. Longest I've had to run was at A school like 3 miles. Now that I'm old I'm worried the PT at OCS is going to kick my butt even though I'm fairly fit.

Talking with OHARP, the pace seems to be around a 8-10 min mile depending on your group. You’ll run with folks who have similar run times as you.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
How much running is done at ocs? What I'm looking for is to see if I need to be able to run 3-5 or even more miles in a certain amount of time.
I'd make sure you can score a Good Medium on your 1.5 and be able to consistently run 3 miles in 30:00 or less. The 3-milers aren't timed but you will call attention to yourself if you stop or are last or almost last. Also, make sure you're running 3-4 miles 2-3 times a week on pavement in the months leading up to your start date to get your knees and shins ready. Lots of shin splints and hairline fractures happen there.

Does anyone know if there is a post office at OCS we will be able to visit?

I have an upcoming check for a home insurance claim that will likely have to be mailed to me at OCS and was wondering if it might be possible for me to send that out to the contractor via certified mail or something I can track.
When you arrive at OCS, you can let them know you have important family matters that needs to be address and they will work as best as they can to get you to the post office.

Pedro21992

When you attend OCS if you are active duty, what's your BAH based of? is it your current duty station, where your family is while you are OCS, or RI? thank you in advance.

CarnesCJ

When you attend OCS if you are active duty, what's your BAH based of? is it your current duty station, where your family is while you are OCS, or RI? thank you in advance.
During check in that first week, you'll fill out paperwork and identify if you have family. BAH rates will be based on dependent location since you cannot bring them to RI with you. If you're single it'll be RI as BAH location.

villo0692

for the sustained run days, there's a slow, medium and fast groups too...you can choose whichever one you'd like. I went on the fast group and we were pushing a pace of 6:40-7:00 min per mile for the three milers, led by my Gunnery Sergeant, we would stop every now and then to get beat up, which surprisingly helped. that's probably the fastest you'll run at OCS. If you go during winter there'll be less running too

for the sustained run days, there's a slow, medium and fast groups too...you can choose whichever one you'd like. I went on the fast group and we were pushing a pace of 6:40-7:00 min per mile for the three milers, led by my Gunnery Sergeant, we would stop every now and then to get beat up, which surprisingly helped. that's probably the fastest you'll run at OCS. If you go during winter there'll be less running too
Okay thanks. I know what goal I have for the next 6 months. 3 mile run at 20 minutes. I run the prt 1.5 miles in 12:50 so I have a lot of work to do.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Good to know, thanks

villo0692

Okay thanks. I know what goal I have for the next 6 months. 3 mile run at 20 minutes. I run the prt 1.5 miles in 12:50 so I have a lot of work to do.
I mean that seems like quite a big jump. Not gonna tell you not to do it, but take in mind two things. 1. increase your mileage slowly, don't just go from running say, 10 miles a week to 20, you'll get injured if you do. 2. Make sure a good 80% of your runs are easy runs, in order to build aerobic endurance (and by easy I mean EASY), and do 400-800 meter intervals fro your speed workouts to get used to running faster for the rest of your running volume. If you'd like more advice feel free to DM me, I ran my best 1.5 miler in 9:44 if it helps with crediblity

I mean that seems like quite a big jump. Not gonna tell you not to do it, but take in mind two things. 1. increase your mileage slowly, don't just go from running say, 10 miles a week to 20, you'll get injured if you do. 2. Make sure a good 80% of your runs are easy runs, in order to build aerobic endurance (and by easy I mean EASY), and do 400-800 meter intervals fro your speed workouts to get used to running faster for the rest of your running volume. If you'd like more advice feel free to DM me, I ran my best 1.5 miler in 9:44 if it helps with crediblity
Great advice thank you. By easy you mean maybe a few miles at say 4-5 mph?