• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Welcome back! Bogged down, do you mean they are DQ'd for something? Kinda like the NAMI WHAMMY?
Not DQ'd. Waiting.

25+ aviation candidates (OCS grads) are going to student pool in each class where they're waiting to be medically cleared before they commission and receive orders. They're stuck at Newport until they are medically cleared, commission, receive orders, and finally out-process and leave Newport. This can take 1-6+ weeks depending on where you are in the medical process.

You are still living on training country while you wait, in King Hall.

Tracker95

Most of the aviation candidates (around 90%) are going to student pool after graduation. The aviation candidates are bogged down by the medical system here at Newport. I'm not sure which list for commissioning you're referring to but if they're at OCS ready to graduate soon, that sounds correct, most of them will probably be going to student pool.
Most of the aviation candidates (around 90%) are going to student pool after graduation. The aviation candidates are bogged down by the medical system here at Newport. I'm not sure which list for commissioning you're referring to but if they're at OCS ready to graduate soon, that sounds correct, most of them will probably be going to student pool.
Yes, graduates in two weeks

Meyerkord

pilot
Few questions I am hoping that I can get answered here:

Has anyone requested to drive to OCS recently and have you been told if they will reimburse you? I am in the 17OCT class.

Also, if you are on leave will they reimburse you for the drive from RI from where you are on leave at? Or your duty station?

If you currently have a lease and are receiving BAH (Single E-5), will you continue to receive BAH while at OCS?
The military will pay for you to go places you are ordered to go to. So yes, they’ll pay for you to drive to OCS, and they’ll pay you to get to your next duty station. Any leave you take is on you

Mouselovr

Contributor
Not DQ'd. Waiting.

25+ aviation candidates (OCS grads) are going to student pool in each class where they're waiting to be medically cleared before they commission and receive orders. They're stuck at Newport until they are medically cleared, commission, receive orders, and finally out-process and leave Newport. This can take 1-6+ weeks depending on where you are in the medical process.

You are still living on training country while you wait, in King Hall.
Are these delays for folks with NAMI waivers waiting to clear or for the general stamp of approval?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Are these delays for folks with NAMI waivers waiting to clear or for the general stamp of approval?
Literally everyone, doesn't matter what the situation is. A select handful of aviation designated candidates will commission on graduation day though, so it's not 100% doom and gloom. The majority of the rest of aviators though (at least for the time being) are going to Student Pool.

Those who went to student pool ranged from people who were already medically cleared (according to the flight doc) to those who were already NPQ'd during week one of OCS.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
@Ghost SWO did you notice any particular trends for people who got DQ’d from aviation? Like were there any common trends for people getting disqualified?
We had one guy say all the correct answers on the color vision test, but he failed. The problem was that he spouted off the correct answers in the wrong order. Yeah. So that's one for color blindness... true story.

I'd say it was a mixed bag, I dont think any two people had the same issue. Obviously a lot of people get an "NPQ" but then go through a waiver process. Most people who NPQ will receive waivers for whatever they've got going on if it can be waived.

I'd say the biggest trend here in regards to your question is, if it can be waived, it most likely will be waived and you will be granted a waiver. I've never heard of someone needing a waiver for something that can be waived and then being denied a waiver.

Lots of eye waivers. People need waivers for freckles in their eye...

almond_615

We had one guy say all the correct answers on the color vision test, but he failed. The problem was that he spouted off the correct answers in the wrong order. Yeah. So that's one for color blindness... true story.

I'd say it was a mixed bag, I dont think any two people had the same issue. Obviously a lot of people get an "NPQ" but then go through a waiver process. Most people who NPQ will receive waivers for whatever they've got going on if it can be waived.

I'd say the biggest trend here in regards to your question is, if it can be waived, it most likely will be waived and you will be granted a waiver. I've never heard of someone needing a waiver for something that can be waived and then being denied a waiver.

On an unrelated note, can people be NPQd from SWO?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
On an unrelated note, can people be NPQd from SWO?
I'm not aware of any additional medical requirements for them to be NPQ'd. If they are NPQ'd I'd imagine it's from serving in general, in which case you'd need a general commissioning waiver to remain in the Navy.

I think I heard they have to do swim quals and are competing through most of OCS for ship selection. OCS is a different experience for the SWO types and their concern is on other matters than being medically disqualified.

virginia26morr

Question for married folks - Once I get my official orders to OCS (Sep class), should I go ahead and send that to our landlord for notification of breaking our current lease? Alternatively, should I just wait until after OCS when my wife will actually be moving out of our current place? Will there be another set of orders to (in my case) Supply school?

Dark813Side

Contributor
I would yes, send your current official orders let them know you plan to break the lease. Anytime you transfer from one command to another you will receive new orders. If she’s moving after OCS then your current orders will be fine to use.

HookCrew

Curious regarding the color vision test, was this an ishihara test, PIP, or Rabin CCT?? Thanks for specifying and appreciate your input.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Curious regarding the color vision test, was this an ishihara test, PIP, or Rabin CCT?? Thanks for specifying and appreciate your input.
I think Ishihara is the plates, that's what was at MEPS and here at OCS. Unless you're worried about something, these should be the least of your concern for medical.

Maria Danielle

Question for those who recently applied and were accepted. Is there a specific format for the letter of recommendation? Is it something similar to this:

MEMORANDUM FOR WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

SUBJECT: Letter of Recommendation for Petty Officer Second Class (First Last)

or does it follow the correspondence manual? I ask because I have seen past ones for MECEP to the president of the board but not been able to find who the letters need to be addressed to (if any) for my OCS package and want to give the correct guidance.