• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

RobotSailor

Weller-known Member
Hey all. I've been snooping these forums for the better part of a year, and have only posted once in my OCS class date's thread when I got accepted (April 12 can't come soon enough) but I still have a couple stupid questions that I haven't been able to find a recent answer to.

First, have any rules regarding bringing your own vehicle to OCS in Newport changed? I've seen many people say it's a huge benefit to essentially have a locker in the parking lot, and once your class is secured and granted liberty it's great to have your own wheels. Just want to make sure things haven't changed at all recently, but I'm thinking I'm going to bring my car and leave most of my personal belongings (phone, extra clothes, etc) in it, unless someone suggests otherwise.

Second, if all goes as planned, I'll recieve my commission in July, and then spend the next 6 months in NSCS right there in Newport. What is the transition like from Officer Candidate to 0-1 in Supply Corps school? I haven't seen much about it on here, which is understandable because most of this forum is aviators and SWOs. I'm looking for info about how long the wait typically is between OCS and NSCS, living quarters & day-to-day life while in NSCS, liberty, etc.

And lastly, I'd like to know where I'd most likely be stationed once I'm finished with NSCS. Obviously the big destinations typically mentioned are Norfolk and San Diego, but does anyone have any rough stats on what percentages of supply O-1s get sent there? I've seen people say the "majority" go to one of those two spots, but that's vague. San Diego is my preferred destination and I wonder how likely it really is that I'll get sent there, but I understand the needs of the Navy always prevail.

Also, this forum has been fantastic for me for the last year while going through the application process. My OR is recent mother and 3000 miles away and I never really liked bugging her with "stupid" simple questions, so this forum and the helpful members on it has been an invaluable resource. Can't wait to join yall in the fleet. Thanks everyone.
It’s all on you. Bring a car if you’d like, and it’s probably be nice to have if your follow-on is also at Newport.
As for the supply questions, you’ll still be a student at supply school so the only difference will be your paycheck and your living situation. As far as San Diego goes, it’ll always be needs of the Navy so it’s hard to say definitively. Wherever there’s a navy presence, there’ll be supply officers there too.

RobotSailor

Weller-known Member
How ofter the candidates are asked for songs? I memorize the Star Spangled Banner, but not the Anchors Aweigh and The Marines' Hymn. I read from post #391 through post #394 mentions if they ask for the Anchors Aweigh and The Marines' Hymn, it means they want candidates to fail. That was in 2013, not sure still be true in recent years. Being a non-English speaker, I find it's so difficult to memorize those songs.
There is no truth those posts. Although Anchors Aweigh and the hymn are both on the grade sheet for every inspection

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
And lastly, I'd like to know where I'd most likely be stationed once I'm finished with NSCS. Obviously the big destinations typically mentioned are Norfolk and San Diego, but does anyone have any rough stats on what percentages of supply O-1s get sent there? I've seen people say the "majority" go to one of those two spots, but that's vague. San Diego is my preferred destination and I wonder how likely it really is that I'll get sent there, but I understand the needs of the Navy always prevail.

No one can tell you this answer until you're in supply corps school.

Focus on OCS, then supply corps school, THEN your first set of orders. One step at a time...

It’s all on you. Bring a car if you’d like, and it’s probably be nice to have if your follow-on is also at Newport.
As for the supply questions, you’ll still be a student at supply school so the only difference will be your paycheck and your living situation. As far as San Diego goes, it’ll always be needs of the Navy so it’s hard to say definitively. Wherever there’s a navy presence, there’ll be supply officers there too.

Yeah, I cannot see a reason not to bring my car. And I have to imagine student life in NSCS is less hands on than OCS. I’ve read it’s roughly just intensive schooling in things relevant to supply like finance, logistics, supply chain management, etc. Honestly, these are all subjects I enjoy, and I’m looking forward to it the closer it gets. I feel lucky to have gotten a chance at the exact role I wanted.

No one can tell you this answer until you're in supply corps school.

Focus on OCS, then supply corps school, THEN your first set of orders. One step at a time...

True. I understand one step at a time, and I also understand I should not underestimate the difficulty and the magnitude of both OCS and NSCS. You’re right I shouldn’t get ahead of myself, but I am just excited for the journey and I love to research where I may end up. Figured I’d fire off some questions that google/reddit/here haven’t fully answered for me.

Hope I didn’t come across as naive, just can’t wait to get going. I appreciate the answers from both of you.

Meyerkord

pilot
First, have any rules regarding bringing your own vehicle to OCS in Newport changed? I've seen many people say it's a huge benefit to essentially have a locker in the parking lot, and once your class is secured and granted liberty it's great to have your own wheels. Just want to make sure things haven't changed at all recently, but I'm thinking I'm going to bring my car and leave most of my personal belongings (phone, extra clothes, etc) in it, unless someone suggests otherwise.
Having a car isn't a bad idea, especially since you'll be going to NSCS right after. It's definitely not essential at OCS, but nice to have for liberty and when you swap over.

I'm looking for info about how long the wait typically is between OCS and NSCS
I think people in my class had a week or two before the next supply class started. I know most of them were looking for apartments online during the weekends at OCS (when we finally had computer access)

Ordie

I couldn't find this question answered anywhere but what are the differences between going enlisted to OCS and getting out or already a civilian and going OCS? The only thing I have been able to find is that there are no interview appraisals required if you're applying OCS at the recruiting station as a civilian. Other than that, is the process essentially the same?

HSalt

I couldn't find this question answered anywhere but what are the differences between going enlisted to OCS and getting out or already a civilian and going OCS? The only thing I have been able to find is that there are no interview appraisals required if you're applying OCS at the recruiting station as a civilian. Other than that, is the process essentially the same?
No interview appraisals and also no CO endorsement for civilians.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yeah, I cannot see a reason not to bring my car. And I have to imagine student life in NSCS is less hands on than OCS. I’ve read it’s roughly just intensive schooling in things relevant to supply like finance, logistics, supply chain management, etc. Honestly, these are all subjects I enjoy, and I’m looking forward to it the closer it gets. I feel lucky to have gotten a chance at the exact role I wanted.

True. I understand one step at a time, and I also understand I should not underestimate the difficulty and the magnitude of both OCS and NSCS. You’re right I shouldn’t get ahead of myself, but I am just excited for the journey and I love to research where I may end up. Figured I’d fire off some questions that google/reddit/here haven’t fully answered for me.

Hope I didn’t come across as naive, just can’t wait to get going. I appreciate the answers from both of you.

Having not been through supply school, if it is like other Navy schools, it is nothing like OCS. Liberty will be yours whenever you are not in class, and that would be normal liberty (not only in your SDBs like during OCS). Free to live life as you so choose, there may be a duty shift possibly though. Probably like 8-4ish classes and maybe some studying required outside that but probably not a whole lot likely.

solovey

I’m celebrating my pro-rec Y with stupid questions:

1. I have a friend who would like to swear me in. Is that an option? how would that work? She’s an officer in a different branch of that matters

2. I dye my hair. It’s a natural color but I’m assuming I won’t be able to touch it up at OCS. Will that be a problem? My natural color is blonde and I dye it dark brown so you will definitely see a difference. I could probably get enough highlights put in that it would hide the roots a bit but I hate having my hair anywhere near blonde.

Mike9595

Should I be worried about the OCS medical screening?

I disclosed that I have psoriasis and am on a medication for it, and spoke to the doctor at MEPs about it which I got a waiver for. The medication recommends not to have live vaccines while on it so I will stop taking it a little prior to OCS so not to have complications with it. The website says to take all prescription medication with you. So I can restart to take it after the round of shots. If I have a waiver for it and they know about it I should be ok right..?

I just hear horror stories all the time about getting into medhold. I would ask my recruiter but it is the weekend?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Should I be worried about the OCS medical screening?

I disclosed that I have psoriasis and am on a medication for it, and spoke to the doctor at MEPs about it which I got a waiver for. The medication recommends not to have live vaccines while on it so I will stop taking it a little prior to OCS so not to have complications with it. The website says to take all prescription medication with you. So I can restart to take it after the round of shots. If I have a waiver for it and they know about it I should be ok right..?

I just hear horror stories all the time about getting into medhold. I would ask my recruiter but it is the weekend?
You should repost this in the flight doc section.

Also it’s always best to be honest with the docs, and that way you won’t have to worry about anything outside of your control.

Mike9595

You should repost this in the flight doc section.

Also it’s always best to be honest with the docs, and that way you won’t have to worry about anything outside of your control.

Oh cool didnt know that was there! And i was I disclosed it all.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Oh cool didnt know that was there! And i was I disclosed it all.
While at OCS you’ll have to disclose it all again. They do their best to work with you to get any waivers you might need, and depending on if you’re going aviation or not- you’ll have more in depth medical screenings as well.

Mike9595

While at OCS you’ll have to disclose it all again. They do their best to work with you to get any waivers you might need, and depending on if you’re going aviation or not- you’ll have more in depth medical screenings as well.

Awesome thanks, where is that other thread located?