• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

AULANI

I've heard of priors showing up with just their NDS medal. I'm not sure how that plays out with the RDCs, but given the fact that my own admin doesn't seem to know what awards I should have, I kind of doubt the RDCs would be NDAWS stalking all the priors.
Maybe it was just a SEAL thing but none of them wore any ribbons/medals/tridents except for the national defense ribbon and nobody cared. You can't get hit on inspections for things you aren't wearing.

jakd

pilot
@HSalt on the other side of the coin, I saw some of the inspections for priors turn in to conversations about what they did, where they were, etc. based on what was on their chest. One prior army guy ended up getting a lot of respect because of his (very evident by awards) time in Afghanistan.

HSalt

@HSalt on the other side of the coin, I saw some of the inspections for priors turn in to conversations about what they did, where they were, etc. based on what was on their chest. One prior army guy ended up getting a lot of respect because of his (very evident by awards) time in Afghanistan.
My command's admin upgraded my JSAM to a JCOM on NDAWS, and my first and only NAM's citation has it listed as a "gold star in lieu of fourth award." I only wear what I've actually earned in uniform, but if it has to match the record, I could see that conversation going south.

I submitted corrections months ago, but apparently my massive command has to wait on our ISIC's admin to correct anything. That's the only reason I'm asking, not to show up with just one ribbon because it's easier.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I submitted corrections months ago, but apparently my massive command has to wait on our ISIC's admin to correct anything. That's the only reason I'm asking, not to show up with just one ribbon because it's easier.

Don't plan for it to ever get updated. I was missing stuff in NDAWS for 15+ years and it never got fixed despite numerous resubmissions from multiple commands.

Acsantosus

Don't plan for it to ever get updated. I was missing stuff in NDAWS for 15+ years and it never got fixed despite numerous resubmissions from multiple commands.
So based on this what would be your advice? should prior service only have the awards that are proofed in NDAWS or can we have ribbons that we have rightfully earned?

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
So based on this what would be your advice? should prior service only have the awards that are proofed in NDAWS or can we have ribbons that we have rightfully earned?

You only wear what you’ve earned, and know what is true, if NDAWS has you listed for citations that aren’t true you don’t wear them.?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You only wear what you’ve earned, and know what is true, if NDAWS has you listed for citations that aren’t true you don’t wear them.?

But on the flip side, if NDAWS does NOT have what you HAVE earned, you still wear them (given you have the citation).

NDAWS is a flawed system. Your service record is the real document of what you've done. Even more so as an officer. If you have the documentation, wear it (or don't, if you want to take the NDM-only tact). If you know NDAWS is incorrect, then wear what you've earned. Don't be afraid to tell your "senior" what's right.

Acsantosus

But on the flip side, if NDAWS does NOT have what you HAVE earned, you still wear them (given you have the citation).

NDAWS is a flawed system. Your service record is the real document of what you've done. Even more so as an officer. If you have the documentation, wear it (or don't, if you want to take the NDM-only tact). If you know NDAWS is incorrect, then wear what you've earned. Don't be afraid to tell your "senior" what's right.
I’m more asking for OCS purposes... I fully know how jacked up NDAWS is and I would rock chest candy I didn’t actually earn. With that said I’m a submariner and have received citations and awards that aren’t exactly documented ( for obvious reasons) my NAMS are up to date however I have other citations that aren’t documented in in the system other then in evals.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I’m more asking for OCS purposes... I fully know how jacked up NDAWS is and I would rock chest candy I didn’t actually earn. With that said I’m a submariner and have received citations and awards that aren’t exactly documented ( for obvious reasons) my NAMS are up to date however I have other citations that aren’t documented in in the system other then in evals.

Yeah, so that doesn't make sense. If you've received an award (let's say a NAM), you've received a 1650 and/or citation. No one is going to put CLASS info in the award, but the award itself is still issued. If it's a unit award, there should be a PAGE 13 for the award, and if there isn't, you should get one. Yes, there are messages issuing awards to commands for unit citations (campaign awards), but sometimes they are hard to get your hands on. So lacking that, get a page 13. And if you're not in the command to get those, your current command can still write a PG 13 based on your time of service and issued unit award.

So all that said, to answer your original question:

Wear what you have documentation for. Bottom line, NDAWS isn't the end-all of documentation.

Acsantosus

I
Yeah, so that doesn't make sense. If you've received an award (let's say a NAM), you've received a 1650 and/or citation. No one is going to put CLASS info in the award, but the award itself is still issued. If it's a unit award, there should be a PAGE 13 for the award, and if there isn't, you should get one. Yes, there are messages issuing awards to commands for unit citations (campaign awards), but sometimes they are hard to get your hands on. So lacking that, get a page 13. And if you're not in the command to get those, your current command can still write a PG 13 based on your time of service and issued unit award.

So all that said, to answer your original question:

Wear what you have documentation for. Bottom line, NDAWS isn't the end-all of documentation.
it’s the unit citations that I’m missing... PG 13 will be easy to obtain thanks for your insight!

AULANI

You guys are nuking the shit out of this. Nobody at OCS will know what ribbons/awards/etc you have EXCEPT YOU. During inspection or any other time nobody is going to come up to you and say "what a minute, do you really have 3 NAMs?"

As long as your shit isn't crooked on your uniform nobody cares.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You guys are nuking the shit out of this. Nobody at OCS will know what ribbons/awards/etc you have EXCEPT YOU. During inspection or any other time nobody is going to come up to you and say "what a minute, do you really have 3 NAMs?"

When they ask..."Candidate, how many NAMs do you actually have?"

The response is always...

"Sir, the candidate has more than the AOCS Demerit King @mad dog, sir!"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Bigger lesson for anyone reading is to keep a copy of all of your important papers. I had a binder throughout my career where I would put every FITREP, award/award PG13, and all of my DD-214s. Each document is put in a document protector so everything stays readable.

At some point in your career, it will come in handy to be able to go back and pull out one of these to prove something to somebody. It can also be handy to go back and plagarize write-ups when you have to write something for somebody (or yourself).

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired

Buy that pretty blue one with the white stars on it if you really want to look cool.???⚓️

Nobody will know.?

Hey all. I've been snooping these forums for the better part of a year, and have only posted once in my OCS class date's thread when I got accepted (April 12 can't come soon enough) but I still have a couple stupid questions that I haven't been able to find a recent answer to.

First, have any rules regarding bringing your own vehicle to OCS in Newport changed? I've seen many people say it's a huge benefit to essentially have a locker in the parking lot, and once your class is secured and granted liberty it's great to have your own wheels. Just want to make sure things haven't changed at all recently, but I'm thinking I'm going to bring my car and leave most of my personal belongings (phone, extra clothes, etc) in it, unless someone suggests otherwise.

Second, if all goes as planned, I'll recieve my commission in July, and then spend the next 6 months in NSCS right there in Newport. What is the transition like from Officer Candidate to 0-1 in Supply Corps school? I haven't seen much about it on here, which is understandable because most of this forum is aviators and SWOs. I'm looking for info about how long the wait typically is between OCS and NSCS, living quarters & day-to-day life while in NSCS, liberty, etc.

And lastly, I'd like to know where I'd most likely be stationed once I'm finished with NSCS. Obviously the big destinations typically mentioned are Norfolk and San Diego, but does anyone have any rough stats on what percentages of supply O-1s get sent there? I've seen people say the "majority" go to one of those two spots, but that's vague. San Diego is my preferred destination and I wonder how likely it really is that I'll get sent there, but I understand the needs of the Navy always prevail.

Also, this forum has been fantastic for me for the last year while going through the application process. My OR is recent mother and 3000 miles away and I never really liked bugging her with "stupid" simple questions, so this forum and the helpful members on it has been an invaluable resource. Can't wait to join yall in the fleet. Thanks everyone.