• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

alezale

Similar to MEPS with some additional things. But the basic concept is the same. You're just making rounds and getting checked out. Some additional eye tests for the pilots/NFOs, and an EKG depending on your age as well.
At what age do the EKGs start?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
At what age do the EKGs start?
It's not that they start at a certain age, it's that they are given periodically (every 5 years, as part of a long-form physical). Basically you get the equivalent of an induction physical every 5 years. Yay. The good news is that the standards change from when you were an applicant.

Brand0034

What happens if you pass vision for SNA at MEPS but don’t at OCS?
I passed depth perception and the standard machine reading the letters with ease. But then I had to do another machine “for officers” where you rest your chin on this arm and the eye machine moves (up/down,left/right) to focus on your eye and I struggled. I got 20/20 but was guided and not sure I’ll get 20/20 again.
Regulations say 20/40 uncorrected is accepted so as long as my depth perception and color blind test is fine will they just issue me glasses? Or will I lose SNA?

Meyerkord

pilot
I passed depth perception and the standard machine reading the letters with ease. But then I had to do another machine “for officers” where you rest your chin on this arm and the eye machine moves (up/down,left/right) to focus on your eye and I struggled. I got 20/20 but was guided and not sure I’ll get 20/20 again.
Regulations say 20/40 uncorrected is accepted so as long as my depth perception and color blind test is fine will they just issue me glasses? Or will I lose SNA?
I know a few SNAs with glasses. As long as you're 20/40 uncorrected then you should be fine.

Brand0034

I know a few SNAs with glasses. As long as you're 20/40 uncorrected then you should be fine.
I know it’s not a problem having glasses but my question is my paperwork checks out as 20/20 Bc I passed the vision test so how will ocs treat it? Usually people go in knowing they wear glasses but I would be someone with 20/20 all of a sudden potentially needed glasses.

Meyerkord

pilot
I know it’s not a problem having glasses but my question is my paperwork checks out as 20/20 Bc I passed the vision test so how will ocs treat it? Usually people go in knowing they wear glasses but I would be someone with 20/20 all of a sudden potentially needed glasses.
I wouldn't worry about it. If they decide you need glasses at OCS, they'll give them to you. They aren't gonna care what MEPS told you.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
That test is just checking each eye individually. There's also the eyeball puff test checking for glaucoma (my most hated event of every flight physical; cannot keep my eyes open). If you are 20/40 or better they will issue you glasses and tell you that you better wear them. Wasn't an issue for me although I came close to the 20/20 fail this past time ten years in! Nobody will know that you are supposed to be wearing them but it would be a big deal if there was a mishap and you weren't.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

The standard is 20/40 corrected to 20/20 (and whatever the diopter limitation is). Period. Eyes change, people know that. Just meet the standard. If you can't meet the standard, then start worrying about it, but don't start now.

emcee1

Heading to Newport 01 MAR. I've poured over the OTC website and FB page but I'm still not sure about the PRT standards. Are there two sets of standards, 25 and below and 25-29? Or is it normal fleet scoring that corresponds to your age? I'm 30.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Heading to Newport 01 MAR. I've poured over the OTC website and FB page but I'm still not sure about the PRT standards. Are there two sets of standards, 25 and below and 25-29? Or is it normal fleet scoring that corresponds to your age? I'm 30.

Google is your friend.

Meyerkord

pilot
Standard age brackets apply. You need a Sat-Med when you take the IST and you'll need to hit a Good-Low eventually.

pcamp01

Do the Watchstanding Principles need to be verbatim by Week 3? In the OCS DEP Guide from my recruiter, everything from Appendix B is included except the Watchstanding Principles.