• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

GAhnee

Regs state: "Naval personnel who have received awards from other military services or departments of the United States Government, foreign governments, or other agencies, may wear such awards on the naval uniform only as described in this section." All this means is that you must wear your awards in line with their order of precedence.

You are allowed to wear your AF Outstanding Unit Award, Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal, AF NCO PME Ribbon, AF Expeditionary Service Ribbon, and the AF Training Ribbon. I would avoid state awards and place your awards as described by the regulation which will really impact you once you receive your marksmanship ribbons. Also, why no National Defense Service Medal? If you have expeditionary service you were on active duty...if you were on active duty, you have earned that "starter" decoration.

My advice is get a new rack ready, you are going to take some flak from the Marines, but that is part of the deal. Be proud and know exactly why you earned each ribbon...they will ask.

Enjoy OCS!
I have the National defense service medal, I didn’t include it because I knew for certain that would be allowed. Thank you for clearing that up, I will be sure to bring my DD214 that lists everything as well

Meyerkord

pilot
Random... but...Does anyone know when dress uniforms will be issued. I know during the first week for PB's, NWUs, PT, etc, but what about whites and blues? Do we just get measured for them but get them later in the program?
You'll get measured and fitted for them later on, in the officer candidate phase

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
I have the National defense service medal, I didn’t include it because I knew for certain that would be allowed. Thank you for clearing that up, I will be sure to bring my DD214 that lists everything as well
Your class Chief will also be your mentor for this kind of thing. There were a number of folks in my class from other services that had to navigate this and the Chiefs helped them out.

swmonroe88

pilot
One more note...Keep in mind that breast or qualification insignia of other services may not be worn on a Navy uniform, so no funky USAF badges.

Do I rate to wear my Enlisted Aircrew wings earned as a Marine despite them not being earned as a Navy warfare device?

Second and third questions:
I know as a civilian in OCS I'll be paid as an E-5. Does my enlisted time count towards that "paygrade" (E-5 with 8 years service)?

Will the Navy move my family and household goods once I know where I will be attending Primary? If I attend primary at Whiting, will I be allowed make the move during A-Pool/prior to API?

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Do I rate to wear my Enlisted Aircrew wings earned as a Marine despite them not being earned as a Navy warfare device?

Second and third questions:
I know as a civilian in OCS I'll be paid as an E-5. Does my enlisted time count towards that "paygrade" (E-5 with 8 years service)?

Will the Navy move my family and household goods once I know where I will be attending Primary? If I attend primary at Whiting, will I be allowed make the move during A-Pool/prior to API?
  1. Yes you can wear them...Marines are part of the Department of the Navy.
  2. Good question. As I recall I was paid at time-in-grade and then once commissioned paid as on O-1E...a few extra bucks. I could, however, be mistaken.
  3. The Navy will cover your move to primary. As for the rest..API and such...I couldn’t tell you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Disclaimer: things may have changed. But historically, as an officer candidate (Midshipman or non-ECP/MECP/active STA-21) while on active duty, you're paid as an OC/MIDN, which happens to match the paygrade of E-5 < 2. Since you're coming in as a civilian, I believe you're the equivalent to a MIDN, which only rates a pay rate of E-5 < 2. Then once you're commissioned, you'd receive O-1E < 8 (or whatever).

Confused yet? Someone going through a commissioning program as an OC with a rating would be eligible for E-x < y. Someone going through as an OC (or MIDN) with no associated rating (like what you would be) would earn E-5 < 2 while on active duty. Then everything catches up once commissioned.

Last edited:

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Things may have changed, so someone more recent could clarify; but when I went through (Jan 2010) the married folks got to move their household goods as they were guaranteed Primary at Whiting and the non-married folks were given TAD orders to Pensacola (without the accompanying per diem) and I believe they got partial BAH.

flgator92

None
That's right. SNFOs are PCS'ing to their permanent duty station so they're under 342 orders immediately upon reporting to Pensacola because we're there from API/IFS until advanced. SNAs will arrive on 341 orders and will not get a paid move or full BAH until primary... or until a certain amount of time has elapsed (I think six months). Until that point, you'll have transient BAH which is a little more than half of the full BAH in P'Cola, I believe.

Things may have changed, so someone more recent could clarify; but when I went through (Jan 2010) the married folks got to move their household goods as they were guaranteed Primary at Whiting and the non-married folks were given TAD orders to Pensacola (without the accompanying per diem) and I believe they got partial BAH.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Disclaimer: things may have changed. But historically, as an officer candidate (Midshipman or non-ECP/MECP/active STA-21) while on active duty, you're paid as an OC/MIDN, which happens to match the paygrade of E-5 < 2. Since you're coming in as a civilian, I believe you're the equivalent to a MIDN, which only rates a pay rate of E-5 < 2. Then once you're commissioned, you'd receive O-1E < 8 (or whatever).

Confused yet? Someone going through a commissioning program as an OC with a rating would be eligible for E-x < y. Someone going through as an OC (or MIDN) with no associated rating (like what you would be) would earn E-5 < 2 while on active duty. Then everything catches up once commissioned.
I think you are correct. This sounds right.

I went through OCS 2 years ago. I had 8 years prior and was out for two. I came back in as a civilian and got E-5 pay with >8 years as my pay while there. Something may have changed since then though.

swmonroe88

pilot
I went through OCS 2 years ago. I had 8 years prior and was out for two. I came back in as a civilian and got E-5 pay with >8 years as my pay while there. Something may have changed since then though.

Heres to hoping haha... it's only a difference of about $1000, so not the end of the world if not, but it would be nice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That's good to hear and glad it's different from the other commissioning sources. You've done your time, might as well benefit from it.

AULANI

Heres to hoping haha... it's only a difference of about $1000, so not the end of the world if not, but it would be nice.
I went in as a civilian but with >8 years prior service and was getting E-5 with >8 years pay while at OCS. I commissioned in 2018. When you commission you'll get O-1E >8 years.