• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

KristenQT

I have a full sleeve tattoo on my left arm. Am I allowed be bring a nude colored sleeve cover and wear it for inspections? Have visible tattoos affected others; be it inspection grading and/or special attention at OCS?

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I have a full sleeve tattoo on my left arm. Am I allowed be bring a nude colored sleeve cover and wear it for inspections? Have visible tattoos affected others; be it inspection grading and/or special attention at OCS?

Guy in my class had both arms done up in almost complete sleeves and many others had visible arm or leg ink. Never even heard of it being mentioned or in any way effecting the process. It would probably draw more attention by attempting to cover it up.
Athletic sleeves or braces require a chit so it could be mistaken for that and cause someone to ask what the deal was and now more attention has been drawn to it then just wearing the uniform as the instruction directs.

An opinion I likely don't have the salt to back up; you're going to be a sailor, tattoos are a de facto part of that.

Catman5211

The purpose of the tattoo waiver form is just that. Part of your package was to have your tattoos screened and evaluated for suitable with Naval Service. If they passed the package process then they are fine to wear exposed in uniform

prestonaz

You’ll be hard pressed to find those inspecting you without their own sleeves. You aren’t required to bring a sleeve color. Your tattoos will not affect you going through OCS

AULANI

Just put a big bandage on your arm. When the DI rips it off and asks where you got the tattoo, proudly tell him you got it in Subic Bay, Philippines.

prestonaz

I have just found out that I will be going to OCS on Feb 9th 2020. I downloaded the "Appendix B" to memorize it. Could anyone please tell me this "Appendix B" is still correct and be using at the OCS. This is the link to download it: https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/NSTC/otcn/pdfs/OCR Appendix B.pdf
That is correct. This is your second biggest hurdle dealing with memorization. You are paying your future self a very big thank you by learning now. If you show up and have this whole thing memorized, you will be ahead by 3 weeks.

GAhnee

I am prior service from the Air National Guard and I am looking for guidance about which of my awards will transfer over with me. I assume I will not be allowed to wear the state awards I received, but are there any awards that are not allowed on the Navy uniform? Things like the AF Outstanding Unit Award, Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal, AF NCO PME Ribbon, AF Expeditionary Service Ribbon, and the AF Training Ribbon. I have found conflicting guidance, so I wanted to ask. I asked my recruiter if he knew, he said no.

Meyerkord

pilot
I am prior service from the Air National Guard and I am looking for guidance about which of my awards will transfer over with me. I assume I will not be allowed to wear the state awards I received, but are there any awards that are not allowed on the Navy uniform? Things like the AF Outstanding Unit Award, Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal, AF NCO PME Ribbon, AF Expeditionary Service Ribbon, and the AF Training Ribbon. I have found conflicting guidance, so I wanted to ask. I asked my recruiter if he knew, he said no.
Here’s the regulations. It lists all the awards you’re allowed to wear.

GAhnee

I’m looking through and it has a section that talks about awards from other services, but doesn’t actually list any sister service awards that I can see. I’m not sure if I am missing something?
Here’s the regulations. It lists all the awards you’re allowed to wear.

parkers18

Random... but...Does anyone know when dress uniforms will be issued. I know during the first week for PB's, NWUs, PT, etc, but what about whites and blues? Do we just get measured for them but get them later in the program?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’m looking through and it has a section that talks about awards from other services, but doesn’t actually list any sister service awards that I can see. I’m not sure if I am missing something?
Regs state: "Naval personnel who have received awards from other military services or departments of the United States Government, foreign governments, or other agencies, may wear such awards on the naval uniform only as described in this section." All this means is that you must wear your awards in line with their order of precedence.

You are allowed to wear your AF Outstanding Unit Award, Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal, AF NCO PME Ribbon, AF Expeditionary Service Ribbon, and the AF Training Ribbon. I would avoid state awards and place your awards as described by the regulation which will really impact you once you receive your marksmanship ribbons. Also, why no National Defense Service Medal? If you have expeditionary service you were on active duty...if you were on active duty, you have earned that "starter" decoration.

My advice is get a new rack ready, you are going to take some flak from the Marines, but that is part of the deal. Be proud and know exactly why you earned each ribbon...they will ask.

Enjoy OCS!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
One more note...Keep in mind that breast or qualification insignia of other services may not be worn on a Navy uniform, so no funky USAF badges.