• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Arod himself would approve, good stuff. For memorization purposes and ease of use it may be better to pull out the non-branch selections from the drop-down. i.e. if we have the navy symbol maybe just navy choices?
I was viewing this as mainly being useful for self-testing once you have the basic patterns down. I think most people would tend to go through the ranks in order, one branch at a time, so this gives you a way to test your knowledge by mixing them all up. I could add some check boxes to make the quiz Navy- or USMC-only, though.

dmamula

I was viewing this as mainly being useful for self-testing once you have the basic patterns down. I think most people would tend to go through the ranks in order, one branch at a time, so this gives you a way to test your knowledge by mixing them all up. I could add some check boxes to make the quiz Navy- or USMC-only, though.

I just tested your page out and I agree I would put a check box in for Navy or USMC. A silver oak leaf came up and I picked the correct answer but didn't know it was for Marine ranks.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
I just tested your page out and I agree I would put a check box in for Navy or USMC. A silver oak leaf came up and I picked the correct answer but didn't know it was for Marine ranks.
Well, it does show you the logo of the Navy or the Marine Corps (to the right of the rank insignia).

jakejake527

Quick question:

I have a shaved head (shave everyweek). Will the Navy allow me to keep a shaved head during OCS or will they force me to grow a "navy" haircut?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Quick question:

I have a shaved head (shave everyweek). Will the Navy allow me to keep a shaved head during OCS or will they force me to grow a "navy" haircut?

If you mean that you want to "bic" it, then no (full chrome dome). If you have weird receeding hairline issues, they will probably make you shave it.

You'll go to the NEX about every other week for a haircut.

jakejake527

It's not completely shaved ("bic it"). I use a buzzer and use the lowest setting (1/16"). Will they allow me to keep buzzing it all off every two weeks?

thanks for the help. and no I don't have a weird receding hairline. I just feel free without hair.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
It's not completely shaved ("bic it"). I use a buzzer and use the lowest setting (1/16"). Will they allow me to keep buzzing it all off every two weeks?

thanks for the help. and no I don't have a weird receding hairline. I just feel free without hair.
You'll be making regular trips to the NEX barber to make sure everyone has the "indoc" special (full buzz cut), so you should be good to go there. After sixth week Personnel Inspection, you are no longer required to do that, you can get a fade, high and tight, or buzz cut as desired. As far as actually having a pair of clippers at OCS, I don't think that's allowed, but if you get it cut regularly at the NEX barber, you should be fine. And buzz cuts are nice and cheap, I think they're like 8 bucks there.

xltn

If anyone is working on studying the OCS gouge, here's a little quizzer I made for the various rank insignia. Let me know if you find any bugs/mistakes, or if you have any suggestions for improvement.

http://webspace.ship.edu/jehamb/navy/rankQuizzer.html
Great source! Thanks! However, I see a bug. After like 20-21 tries, I kept seeing E4 Corporal like 4-5 times, but no E6, E8, O3... I don't know how you set the rotation, but if this were a lottery draft, E4 Cpl is a winner.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Great source! Thanks! However, I see a bug. After like 20-21 tries, I kept seeing E4 Corporal like 4-5 times, but no E6, E8, O3... I don't know how you set the rotation, but if this were a lottery draft, E4 Cpl is a winner.
I think I know what the problem is, I'll fix it tomorrow when I'm back in the office (I don't have Flash on my home machine).

mitrokhin

Hey, so I have a rather dumb question that might be kind of specific. Actually, Fronch may know what I'm talking about ;)

So I'm in my last semester as a math major at a college, and I'm taking an advanced Abstract Algebra course that is kicking my ass. My advisor signed me up for it before I took the prerequisite, and I am doing poorly. I've never failed a course at university before, but I need this one to graduate and have received an F on the first exam, D on the second, and D on the third. I need a C to pass the course (final exam, last of my degree allegedly, is tomorrow morning lol). The professor has been cool with me so far - he understands where I'm coming from. I've attended all lectures and took excellent notes, so he knows me by name and is kind to me.

On the off chance that I fail the course and have to take a summer class (oh god please no), is it possible to delay my OCS date? I've yet to receive a FS letter but when I sent in my package, I requested the 09 June class. If not, do I have to resubmit a package and play the waiting game all over again? I feel like what I've set up for my future is falling apart. I've worked so hard to get a 3.5 gpa and stay in good standing with the school and the Navy, and I don't want to let my OR down.

Last edited:

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Words words words
First things first, closest gator and all that. Get off AW tonight and cram for that test. Don't even think about checking back here until the test is over. Because obviously if you do well enough on that test, no issue. Otherwise, go immediately to the professor, explain your Navy sitch if he doesn't already know, and ask if you can retake or do some extra credit or something for a grade bump.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*

You can't have your own clippers, but even on weekends when you go to the NEX to buy stuff I'd imagine that no one would complain if you got a haircut.

Really though, your priorities will be elsewhere, and you will certainly be able to have it looking how you want by graduation.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
First things first, closest gator and all that. Get off AW tonight and cram for that test. Don't even think about checking back here until the test is over. Because obviously if you do well enough on that test, no issue. Otherwise, go immediately to the professor, explain your Navy sitch if he doesn't already know, and ask if you can retake or do some extra credit or something for a grade bump.
What Tycho said, explain to... and work with the Professor!;)
I feel like what I've set up for my future is falling apart. I've worked so hard to get a 3.5 gpa and stay in good standing with the school and the Navy...
If you can do what it takes to pump your grade up to passing, the C final grade won't lower your cumulative 3.5 GPA enough to hurt you, because your already ProRec.:)
...and I don't want to let my OR down.
That's the very least of your worries (or his). It's your future, and you don't want to let yourself down.;)
BzB

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
So I'm in my last semester as a math major at a college, and I'm taking an advanced Abstract Algebra course that is kicking my ass. My advisor signed me up for it before I took the prerequisite, and I am doing poorly. I've never failed a course at university before, but I need this one to graduate and have received an F on the first exam, D on the second, and D on the third. I need a C to pass the course (final exam, last of my degree allegedly, is tomorrow morning lol). The professor has been cool with me so far - he understands where I'm coming from. I've attended all lectures and took excellent notes, so he knows me by name and is kind to me.
*puts on professor hat*

A lot of the advice I would give you would only have been useful after you failed that first exam. Depending on how your grade is calculated, it might be too late to pass the class. Assuming that a good exam grade could get you the C you need, I would echo what others have said and tell you to stop screwing around on the Internet and get back to studying. Do practice problems, go over your review sheet if you have one, know your definitions, etc.

As for the professor being kind to you, I know that personally I am very friendly with students, but when it comes to grades and exams, I'm all business. Whether or not I like a student has no bearing on what grade they earn. (Notice that I didn't say "what grade I give them.") I don't know your professor, but I wouldn't be looking for any special treatment.

The final question about what happens if failing this class causes you to not earn your degree, well, I can't answer that one.