• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
50%. A lot of O-4's not yet to the 20 year mark got the "involuntary early retirement" deal in the 90's. It was part of the Peace Dividend of the Clinton era.
Wrong.

It was called Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) and you had to have between 15 and 20 years to be eligible. I took advantage of it the last year it was offered in 1998. It was voluntary (not involuntary) and you had to apply. Acceptance was driven by manning and I know 2 guys (nukes) that were denied. Luckily for me, 1320 LCDRs were plentiful. If you did not apply or were not accepted, you continued to the regular 20 year retirement.

Under TERA, you received all the same benefits as a 20 year retiree. Pay was computed as follows: 2.5% x number of years of service minus 1% for each year less than 20. I retired with 17 years and get 2.5% x 17 - 3% or 39.5%.

The "involuntary" aspect of TERA was that those who were denied continuation to 20 years after 2xFOS had the option to apply for TERA versus getting involuntarily separated with the corresponding lack of any retirement (just separation pay). These guys were automatically accepted to TERA if they applied. Very few Navy 2xFOS were not continued to 20 years by the board. Further, this only really applied to those with 15 to 18 years of service since once you hit 18 years, by law you were entitled to a retirement.

I was 1xFOS when I applied and the Detailer tried to talk me out of it. Supposedly I was going to be the exception and pick up O-5 my second look. The TERA board was 2 weeks before the O-5 board and I was told applying for TERA was an automatic non-select for O-5. So what....I was done. I was at SOUTHCOM hating life with another CVN ship's company tour staring me in the eyes as my final job going to 20 years. It worked great for me, I got to Hawaiian in less than 3 years (not bad for a NFO) during their pre-9/11/2001 expansion.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My ex-wife (9 years marriage at time of divorce) tried to latch on to half my retirement. The Judge said "but you're active duty with your own retirement", the ex's lawyer said "but she's getting involuntarily seperated for failing to select for LCDR", the Judge said "That's her own fault. There is no reason HAL Pilot should have a reduced retirement because she failed to perform....." She got nada (other than the house, furniture, etc....)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Wrong.

It was called Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA)

Huh. I've had a half dozen sim instructors tell me their sob stories about how Clinton ruined their careers and lives by forcing them out when they weren't even terminal O-4's. Some really bitter folks running around out there, who's memories seem to have warped over time.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Very few Navy 2xFOS were not continued to 20 years by the board..

That depended on the timing. In 1996 no one that I am aware of was allowed to stay in after being passed over the second time. That was only the second year of the program, though, so they were still being pretty aggressive in cutting the numbers down.

UF_ME

How difficult is it for Naval aviators to get rides in other airframes?

For example how hard would it be for a helo guy get a ride in a jet?

Pags

N/A
pilot
How difficult is it for Naval aviators to get rides in other airframes?

For example how hard would it be for a helo guy get a ride in a jet?

Meh, why would I want to?

But you'd have to have the proper water survival courses and then have an in at a jet squadron that'd be willing to burn flight hours for a dick around flight. Flight hours are a pretty precious commodity.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Sorry, I lump that in with "water survival" courses, since they usually happen at the same building and during the same class.

Yes, that is true. But if he is already a Naval Aviator in another airframe, the "water survival" portion will have already been covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.