• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes, that is true. But if he is already a Naval Aviator in another airframe, the "water survival" portion will have already been covered.

I'm pretty sure there's water survival that's particular to ejection seat aircraft that you don't get during the standard helo water survival course. And then the ejection seat trainer and the parachute trainer. Not sure if they have to do the chamber ride too.

jmcquate

Contributor
Meh, why would I want to?

But you'd have to have the proper water survival courses and then have an in at a jet squadron that'd be willing to burn flight hours for a dick around flight. Flight hours are a pretty precious commodity.

Do the Blue Angels get a special waiver for this? I'm pretty sure that the hot blonde host of the local Fox morning show just gets a brief befor going for a ride in #7.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do the Blue Angels get a special waiver for this? I'm pretty sure that the hot blonde host of the local Fox morning show just gets a brief befor going for a ride in #7.

Probably waived for VIPs, but that requires the signatures of someone with a bird or possibly star(s) on their collar.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Probably waived for VIPs, but that requires the signatures of someone with a bird or possibly star(s) on their collar.

I've heard of water survival waivers for Marine Hornet rides but requires the flight to remain over land.

I'm fairly certain that any incentive ride in the Corps requires Wing approval (2 stars).

SF

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Okay, here's my stupid question.

I imagine this has been discussed ad nauseum, but how did the CH-46 get the nickname "Phrog"?

Look at a picture of it on the ground from the side. Kinda looks like a frog, no?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You know an aircraft has truly arrived when it no longer is called by its given name.

You know the given name really sucks when the institution has to change officially change the name. "Fighting Falcon"-->"Viper" "Iroquois"--->"Huey" "Superstar"(muy ghey)---->"Raptor"

Pags

N/A
pilot
What is the CAG? I looked it up and I got two things: Carrier Air Wing and Commander of Air Group.

"Back in the day" CAG used to stand for Carrier Air Group. Sometime between then and now, it was changed to Carrier Air Wing so it would jive with how the Air Force does things. But everyone still calls it a CAG. In fact, you could say that "CVW" is pronounced "CAG".

Also, the O-6 Commander of the Air Wing (or Group) is called "CAG" as his title. So the CAG runs the CAG. Clear as mud?

For instance, the Commander of CVW-2 is Capt Ross. If you worked for him, you'd call him CAG. And if someone asked you where you worked, you'd probably say "CAG-2."

Status
Not open for further replies.