• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If this guy were to attempt to land on a carrier, in daylight with calm seas and assuming he has no experience what would his chances be? ....

Probably pretty decent, assuming HE was ..
. :) At those speeds, it's all a question of degree.

Check it out ... especially the last paragraph:

OH-1/L-19 Bird Dog

Also:

"Can you move the Helicopter to the other side so I can land on your runway .... "
..... VNAF Major Bung Ly (current resident of Florida, I believe)

USS MIDWAY Operation FREQUENT WIND April 1975 photo gallery ...

GroundPounder

Isn't that O 1 on display at the Museum in Pensacola? I seem to remember it, but I might be getting my places mixed up.

For me, the guys with stones were the ones jumping out of the UH-1's at about 20 feet over the ocean. I doubt that its the type of thing that is in the manual.

It looks like it would be doable, I think that if you marked it out on land I could do it 99 out of a 100 times*, but I could also walk 10 feet across a 2 x 4 if it were a foot off the ground. Put the same 2 x 4 at 100 ft and it's a whole different ball game.

* I'm in no way saying that I think I could land anything on a carrier.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd say his chances were pretty good. There was a Vietnamese gentleman that did that w/ an O-1 at the end of the war. It's hanging up in the Naval Museum at NPA.

Equally impressive was he (MAJ Bung Ly, VNAF) had 6 people in it with him (wife and 5 children)

'981Midway.tif.jpg

Lonestar155

is good to go
F-35 nose gear

For all you "boat types." Anyone know why they designed the F-35 with a single wheel on the nose gear? Seems like for carrier ops, two wheels serve as stability and balance. More importantly seems like a single wheel will get jammed in between the cat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For all you "boat types." Anyone know why they designed the F-35 with a single wheel on the nose gear? Seems like for carrier ops, two wheels serve as stability and balance. More importantly seems like a single wheel will get jammed in between the cat.

How wide do you think the cat track is?

Brett

onedge

pilot
Could be that you looked at a airfarce version of the jet. They put puny ass gear on all their stuff.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
First F-35C (Navy) not yet assembled. It will have the landing gear and hook you expect, along with a larger wing.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
F/A-18D question

Didn't want to piggyback the mishap thread.

How often does a Delta fly without a WSO? Can all the weapons work be done in the front?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
F/A-18D question

I tried to post this earlier and it apparently didn't take. Didn't want to hijack the mishap thread with my query.

How often is a Delta flown single pilot?

Can the front seat handle all the weapon systems?

Do you need both crew for a PMCF?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I tried to post this earlier and it apparently didn't take. Didn't want to hijack the mishap thread with my query.

How often is a Delta flown single pilot?

Can the front seat handle all the weapon systems?

Do you need both crew for a PMCF?
the F/A-18D can be flown single pilot and everything can be ran from the front seat. I wasn't in a two seat sqd but my understanding is that they don't like to fly without somebody in the "trunk"... and I know of some instances where a pilot was scheduled to fly in the backseat just so there wasn't an empty seat (I heard the affected pilot's complain about it). The RAG is different as they let CAT I's fly the F/A-18D solo during training because they don't have enough single seat jets...

As for the PMCF, I'm fairly certain it's done with a crew of 2 but I could be wrong.

S/F

Status
Not open for further replies.