• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We have a dual NATOPS qual for the SH-60F and the Hotel. The Hotel brings different capabilities with with Hellfire, FLIR and the ability to do CSAR. We cover all the mission areas in the HS FRS.

There area obvious differences when it comes to mission equipment, but the cockpits are essentially the same.

+1

Yeah.... what he said.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
With a move [of a carrier] to Jacksonville, do you think there will be more aircraft stationed at NAS Jax or will the CAW/CAG stay stationed at Oceana? Just curious, and forgive my ignorance for not really knowing the difference between an Air Wing and Air Group.

onedge

pilot
nzachman said:
With a move to Jacksonville, do you think there will be more aircraft stationed at NAS Jax or will the CAW/CAG stay stationed at Oceana? Just curious, and forgive my ignorance for not really knowing the difference between an Air Wing and Air Group.

The fighters will stay in Oceana and the helicopters will stay in Jax or NS Norfolk, wherever they were originally stationed.

brownshoe

Contributor
onedge said:
The fighters will stay in Oceana and the helicopters will stay in Jax or NS Norfolk, wherever they were originally stationed.

It’s sad that, Cecil Field was given away. What were they thinking?

Steve

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I thought that the Navy was considering opening Cecil back up? Why did they close it in the first place?

onedge

pilot
Austin8585 said:
I thought that the Navy was considering opening Cecil back up? Why did they close it in the first place?

Cecil got closed back in the early 90s if my memory serves me correctly. Since then the state and city governments put incentive packages together but then Mayor Peyton renigged on his part of the bargain. That pretty much killed the deal. Govoner Bush was not excited but that was the way it went and the Navy is still looking for somewhere else to put their jets. The feeling in Jax is that things should stay the way they are at Cecil. It is a VERY busy industrial center for various aviation corperations and has created quite a few jobs in that neck of the woods.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cecil got closed back in the early 90s if my memory serves me correctly.

To set the record straight, NAS Cecil was officially closed as of 1 Oct, 2000 as result of ealier BRAC decisions (92 and 95).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With a move [of a carrier] to Jacksonville, do you think there will be more aircraft stationed at NAS Jax or will the CAW/CAG stay stationed at Oceana? Just curious, and forgive my ignorance for not really knowing the difference between an Air Wing and Air Group.

There's no such thing as a "Carrier Air Group" anymore. It's an outdated term which was replaced by "Carrier Air Wing," but the acronym CAG has endured, both as the name of the air wing (CVW-7, prononuced "CAG Seven") and the title of the air wing commander ("CAG Smith").

But anyway - the location of the Boats has nothing to do with where the planes are home-based. The squadrons are more or less grouped together by aircraft type. The CVWs themselves are based in Oceana and Lemoore (and CVW-5 in Japan), but that's a staff.

The "final" BRAC decision on Oceana v. re-Cecil was that the Navy should just build a new Master Jet Base somewheres else. We'll see how that works out, given that we can't even get a new OLF built in VA/NC.

The hows and whys of why Cecil was shut down in the first place (as opposed to Oceana) are shrouded in politics and mystery. There are stories of various groups pulling strings - everyone from the VB city council to SpecWar. But it happened, and the Navy had morning-after remorse, and that's how it goes.

exhelodrvr

pilot
HS squadrons from Jax will be moving to Norfolk.

Wow - to NAS Norfolk or Oceana?

Overall, I would think that'll suck for the HS squadrons, although the transits to and from Norfolk were a pain. Jax was a good place to be stationed. Our carrier was out of Norfolk, so we spent a fair amount of time there, and I had no wish to be stationed there.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wow - to NAS Norfolk or Oceana?

Overall, I would think that'll suck for the HS squadrons, although the transits to and from Norfolk were a pain. Jax was a good place to be stationed. Our carrier was out of Norfolk, so we spent a fair amount of time there, and I had no wish to be stationed there.

NS Norfolk.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not so much that the HS community is moving to Norfolk, it's part of the transition process. We will become HSC squadrons after changing homeports. Yay for 2 homeports in one tour!

GroundPounder

If this guy were to attempt to land on a carrier, in daylight with calm seas and assuming he has no experience what would his chances be? I know this is a stupid question, and hope that it is not too stupid even for this thread.

I'm thinking that taking off wouldn't be an issue.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd say his chances were pretty good. There was a Vietnamese gentleman that did that w/ an O-1 at the end of the war. It's hanging up in the Naval Museum at NPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.