• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The power of the Big Iron on spot 6. Notice how all of the padeyes have been cleaned out..... a flight deck Airman's dream.

Official USN photo

When I was a young non-designated Airman on the Big E, back in 1985, we had an H-53 blow a TOW BAR over the side. After that, we were required to tie down EVERYTHING when a Stallion landed. Man that thing can create hurricane force winds.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
In the same vein, is there some kind of lock up between the probe and drogue on our tankers? Or is the airflow against the basket enough to make a seal between the two?

There is a lock. It takes a certain amount of forward acceleration by the jet/helo to lock into the drogue. Same for pulling out (for lack of a better term) - certain amount of deceleration. The guys who do the AR might know the forces involved - we just throw the hoses out there and let em do their thing.

And i'm an idiot, but i'm assuming its some valves and gravity does the rest in the tanker on the drogue...but this is the stupid questions thread so i don't feel that dumb.

It's not gravity, various pumps deliver the fuel under pressure.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was a young non-designated Airman on the Big E, back in 1985, we had an H-53 blow a TOW BAR over the side. After that, we were required to tie down EVERYTHING when a Stallion landed. Man that thing can create hurricane force winds.

-ea6bflyr ;)

On a related note: why do -53's even have a hoist? The bubbas I've talked to say they don't do hoists since the downwash is more likely to kill/drown the rescuee first. Is it a just-in-case/too hard to change the MILSPEC thing?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why do aircrew board the AV-8 from the starboard side?

Because that's where the boarding steps are.:D

I've asked this before as well. Rumor is that it's a Brittish deal...even though the AV-8B was made over here. The original design is Brittish and it was probably too painful to switch it up.

Our refueling probe is on the "wrong" side as well.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Single Seat said:
Who needs FOD walkdown? Just have one of those cruise up the flight deck twice a day at 20' and 20 kts.

That thing would probably take a couple sailors off the side with the FOD too...

The downwash is ridiculous... and I only got like 100ft from the rotor arc.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Single Seat said:
Who needs FOD walkdown?
WE STEEEKIN' NEED IT!!! It's a TRADITION!!!

Or at least, it used to be ... 40-60 guys walkin' across the ramp right after the rooster crowed ... and just before the Roach Coach arrived!!!

Ahhhhhhhhh ... the Roach Coach ... good stuff!! :D

exhelodrvr

pilot
A4sForever said:
WE STEEEKIN' NEED IT!!! It's a TRADITION!!!

Or at least, it used to be ... 40-60 guys walkin' across the ramp right after the rooster crowed ... and just before the Roach Coach arrived!!!

Ahhhhhhhhh ... the Roach Coach ... good stuff!! :D

"Get your eyes on the deck! Hands out of your pockets!! Check those padeyes!"

And the padeyes could be pretty nasty sometimes.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And the padeyes could be pretty nasty sometimes.

Especially when it's well into cruise and all sorts of fluids have taken up residence in a padeye. It's hot as blazes yet the Air Boss wants every padeye probed with fingers to ensure no nasty FOD is lurking there just waiting for a jet engine to suck it out of its hidey hole.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a related note: why do -53's even have a hoist? The bubbas I've talked to say they don't do hoists since the downwash is more likely to kill/drown the rescuee first. Is it a just-in-case/too hard to change the MILSPEC thing?

We use it as a grounding wire for the AMCM mission (anti mine) and for use for CASREP parts for non 53 capable boats. We can use it for SAR, but we are definitely not the preferred SAR asset.

We are a good on-scene commander as we have good loiter time, but not the best pick-up bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.