• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Has there been problems with lead? Talking w/ some T-45 guys, they're apparently having a big issue w/ the new masks and the lead from the det-cord finding a new home in the face. Since I was under the impression you shared det-cord technology, thought I'd ask.

If you mean like lead poisoning, then no. No problems. The guys who ejected, whether or not the canopy shattering function actually fired, were all "fine". Some had minor scratches and cuts from the glass, but nothing significant. The worst injury even like that was a guy lost an eye, but that was from the koch fitting slapping him, and he was wearing a dark visor at the time. Just a misadjusted harness/fitting.

The MDC (miniature det cord) is pretty common between the Harrier and the Goshawk from what I know. I never flew the T-45, but their both Brit designs made by the same company, so I find it believeable.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you mean like lead poisoning, then no. No problems. The guys who ejected, whether or not the canopy shattering function actually fired, were all "fine". Some had minor scratches and cuts from the glass, but nothing significant. The worst injury even like that was a guy lost an eye, but that was from the koch fitting slapping him, and he was wearing a dark visor at the time. Just a misadjusted harness/fitting.

The MDC (miniature det cord) is pretty common between the Harrier and the Goshawk from what I know. I never flew the T-45, but their both Brit designs made by the same company, so I find it believeable.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Apparently there's lots of embedding in the tissue, including the eyes, especially if the visor isn't down far enough, because the mask is much smaller on the face. I'm sure there's some T-45 guys who can speak more intelligently about it, but I've heard it multiple times during my recent 5 week marathon Powerpoint exposure.

MasterBates

I personally don't get any sort of "seal" between my O2 mask and the visor since they took my bungee visors away.

When I had the bungees, I was able to get a good "seal" there.

Also, when I had the older style mask, it sealed better as well.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A lot of this reminds me of people worrying about minor injuries from airbags in a car. Does it happen? Sometimes, yes. But it prevented more injuries than it caused and it's pretty far down the list of things to be worried about.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I seem to recall hearing through the grapevine while in T-45s that those who punched were picking little pieces of canopy out of themselves for days afterward. I always figured it would be worth the hassle.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I seem to recall hearing through the grapevine while in T-45s that those who punched were picking little pieces of canopy out of themselves for days afterward. I always figured it would be worth the hassle.

Yeah....that was my point. It's better than your buddies picking little pieces of you out of the ground for days afterward.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Better than them picking little pieces of you out of the dirt for days afterward.

Edit: Damn you for beating me to the punchline, harrier dude! :D

do retreads have to extend their contract? eg. if an FO with 4 more years left goes back for 2 years of flight school to become an aviator, does he owe more than 2 years?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I can imagine he owes the length of a pilot contract, 8 years.

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot

The T-45's canopy is made out of an acrylic, so when the MDC goes off it doesnt so much shatter as it melts. Little melted bits of canopy tend to stick to the pilot/ejection seat when it goes through the blown canopy and then harden - or at least thats what we were told in systems class.

clonei09

I know that Adm. Mullen is the chairman of the joint chiefs but can he just put a pin on his lapel ie. the american nigerian flag pin on his lapel here. Im kinda reminded of the scene in Animal House when Flounder is in his Army ROTC uniform and is wearing his pledge pin right before Neidermeyer spits all in his face screaming at him. On a seperate note while I think the SDKs look really cool what are they meant to replace or augment I would think that the whites would be a uniform fit for this type of event given that it takes place in the summer http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/080624-N-1711I-001.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Normally? No, it wouldn't be allowed. However comma Big Boss can do what he pleases. Little bit different than fictional ROTC freshmen. And in this case, it was probably judged the diplomatic thing to do.

Actually, I think this is the sort of thing SDKs are being revived for. Dressy occasions in hot climates, which is what I believe they were originally for as well. (Yes? No? Old guys?) Where you should wear a tie, but Blues would be too hot. Notice that General Whoever the Nigerian is wearing service dress with tie.

I find it more interesting that, seeing as it's still in the prototype-eval stage, ADM Mullen would wear them for a big international state occasion like a foreign visit. But again, big man can wear what he likes, and I believe the SDK revival was his pet rock when he was CNO anyway.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Actually, I think this is the sort of thing SDKs are being revived for. Dressy occasions in hot climates, which is what I believe they were originally for as well. (Yes? No? Old guys?) Where you should wear a tie, but Blues would be too hot.....

Kinda ... but at the end of the day, we wore them whenever, wherever ... as they became a defacto replacement for Service Dress Blues @ 365 days a year.

It was just a good semi-dress up uni .... it looked good, was dirt tolerant, allowed the "dressier" wearing of the piss cutter -- which was probably it's single biggest selling point -- and was custom made for "Brown Shoes" .... :) .... so it tended to separate us "a little more" from our Black Shoe brethren as the piss cutter/combination cover and most certainly the shoes tended to be one big line in the sand ....

brownshoe

Contributor
Normally? No, it wouldn't be allowed. However comma Big Boss can do what he pleases. Little bit different than fictional ROTC freshmen. And in this case, it was probably judged the diplomatic thing to do.

Actually, I think this is the sort of thing SDKs are being revived for. Dressy occasions in hot climates, which is what I believe they were originally for as well. (Yes? No? Old guys?) Where you should wear a tie, but Blues would be too hot. Notice that General Whoever the Nigerian is wearing service dress with tie.

I find it more interesting that, seeing as it's still in the prototype-eval stage, ADM Mullen would wear them for a big international state occasion like a foreign visit. But again, big man can wear what he likes, and I believe the SDK revival was his pet rock when he was CNO anyway.

Being a slovenly dressed enlisted type guy, well I don’t know… But I will say this as a “Yes? No? Old guy?” In my day the O’s loved ‘em. Good looking uniform too… In my day no blends, all cotton. Looked great starched and pressed.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.