• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Our priority was wiring the JO (and some of the DH) staterooms for head-to-head Halo.

Nice.

Our version of head-to-head gaming was Uno. With "killer" rules in place. The game wasn't done until somebody threw down their cards in disgust and stormed out of the shop.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
We were lucky to have mail brought on by the COD every two weeks. And games, poker could be found in almost any of the shops after the planes were fixed. Heck I think the only cell phone was on the bridge. Used only in emergencies while at sea.

nugget61

pilot
So I've been watching the "Carrier" tv show and I have some Qs about the helmets - the Cmdr of the wing they are following has a different style helmet than any I have seen (he said it was $60k) with a funny 'bubble' on the top, if you will. Whats that for?
Also, some folks have clear visors - could those be prescriptions or would anyone needing correction be wearing contacts?

B

Blutonski816

So I've been watching the "Carrier" tv show and I have some Qs about the helmets - the Cmdr of the wing they are following has a different style helmet than any I have seen (he said it was $60k) with a funny 'bubble' on the top, if you will. Whats that for?
Also, some folks have clear visors - could those be prescriptions or would anyone needing correction be wearing contacts?

THe "Bubble" is the JHMCS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JHMCS

Clear visor is for night time flying where wearing a dark visor would be impractical.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Has JHMCS had an operational ejection yet?

nugget81

pilot
In this case, why even wear a visor at all? Is there a point to it?

Eye and face protection in case of ejection. Wind blast probably doesn't feel so great going from zero to 300 kts in an instant. And for the T-45, the canopy doesn't blow off like you've seen in Top Gun, it "melts" with mild detonating cord. Hot molten plastic and eyes do not mix well.

brownshoe

Contributor
In this case, why even wear a visor at all? Is there a point to it?

The June 1990 issue of Approach has a page dedicated to why you should utilize/keep your clear visor down. I’ll get it scanned and post it tomorrow. Basically the caption says “ Put your visor down before something catches your” then there’s a picture of some poor fellow's eye. You guessed it… something is stuck in the eyeball just below the iris in cornea.

Oh yeah…:D just a bit of a thread jack here. I just noticed that there’s a really great photo on the cover of this issue, an F-14 in the break. (I’ll get that scanned as well tomorrow.) The editor gives credit on the index page: LCdr. Dave Parsons of VF-32 captures Gypsy 201 coming into the break over USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67)

Steve

VIZKRIEG

KILL
That makes a lot of sense. I didn't consider the fact that you may not always be sitting in the cockpit "out of the breeze." That would be a bit more than driving a convertible with "wind in your hair."

Thanks Gents

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of us don't because we're wearing NVGs. Under the unlikely scenario that I would be unaided :eek: I think I have a clear visor around somewhere.
One more reason why the whole NVGs + ejecting thing still bothers me. Has anybody actually had to use "Goggles, Goggles, Goggles . . . Eject, Eject, Eject?" Or is that still in the realm of theory?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
One more reason why the whole NVGs + ejecting thing still bothers me. Has anybody actually had to use "Goggles, Goggles, Goggles . . . Eject, Eject, Eject?" Or is that still in the realm of theory?

I know at least three guys who ejected wearing goggles (and no clear visor). The only issue was one guy had a hole punched in his thigh that required stiches, but all in all, not too big of a deal, considering.

If you don't throw them off prior to punching, they'll come right off anyway. I've always worried that hey would break my wrists (on the handle) or hit me in the nads.:eek::eek: Not good.

And keep in mind this is in a jet where we go through the canopy. It's supposed to shatter via det cord, but that only works about 50% of the time. The rest is from the canopy seperator.

YMMV.

brownshoe

Contributor
That makes a lot of sense. I didn't consider the fact that you may not always be sitting in the cockpit "out of the breeze." That would be a bit more than driving a convertible with "wind in your hair."

Thanks Gents

This is the picture I'd promised to get scanned and post. You see why visors should be worn/utilized?:) It's from the June 1990 issue of Approach.

Steve

Attachments

• visor.jpg
    visor.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 226

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know at least three guys who ejected wearing goggles (and no clear visor). The only issue was one guy had a hole punched in his thigh that required stiches, but all in all, not too big of a deal, considering.

If you don't throw them off prior to punching, they'll come right off anyway. I've always worried that hey would break my wrists (on the handle) or hit me in the nads.:eek::eek: Not good.

And keep in mind this is in a jet where we go through the canopy. It's supposed to shatter via det cord, but that only works about 50% of the time. The rest is from the canopy seperator.

YMMV.

Has there been problems with lead? Talking w/ some T-45 guys, they're apparently having a big issue w/ the new masks and the lead from the det-cord finding a new home in the face. Since I was under the impression you shared det-cord technology, thought I'd ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.