• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keeping in mind a "NATOPS qual" doesn't mean you're expert on every type of a/c in the CAG. Most of the time it just means you know which buttons not to push (which is still pretty good).

Not knocking the leadership...it's busy business just trying to keep current on one airplane. Can't imagine being up to speed on the big blue book for four fixed-wing and a helo.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Keeping in mind a "NATOPS qual" doesn't mean you're expert on every type of a/c in the CAG. Most of the time it just means you know which buttons not to push (which is still pretty good).

Not knocking the leadership...it's busy business just trying to keep current on one airplane. Can't imagine being up to speed on the big blue book for four fixed-wing and a helo.

Dunno about the rest of the airwing but our old CAG (an -18 single anchor type) used to come down all the time to fly our helos.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on the CAG. Some make a point to fly with everybody. Others fly their old Fleet plane and only occasionally show up to fly with the others. Guess it depends on their comfort level in the other planes. I had a Prowler ECMO CAG who mostly flew with the Rhino squadron.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The first CO of 22 picked his tailcode to be his wife's initials. Not just a rumor.

Now he's just a few frames aft of me...maybe I should go ask!

And that's just incredible wife kiss-assery. Maybe I should give him crap for it. No...he won't think it's funny.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
When a CVN is in drydock for a major overhaul/refueling (RCOH I believe it's called?), what happens to the Air Wing for those years?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When a CVN is in drydock for a major overhaul/refueling (RCOH I believe it's called?), what happens to the Air Wing for those years?

CROH (Complex Refueling & Overhaul).

They just cruise with another boat. The days of an air wing and boat being together for than two or three cruises seem to be pretty much done (with the exception of GW/CAG-5, for obvious reasons).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

There are 11 CVN's and 10 CVW's, so they play musical chairs with them when the boats go into RCOH.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They put a cover on it. I have a picture of it somewhere.
I don't know what they do today ... but the Air Department used to two-block it all the way forward in the cat-track ... thus making it a non-issue for even the longest runout on a #4 WIRE 'lucky catch' ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.