• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I went down to Kingsville today to check out the T-45. Saw some seriously shit hot breaks (well, compared to the T-34 haha) and it got me thinking. Most of them looked at or about 90* AOB. How much airspeed do you guys generally carry into the break? How many G's are y'all pulling? It looks and sounds straight-up fucking awesome.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I went down to Kingsville today to check out the T-45. Saw some seriously shit hot breaks (well, compared to the T-34 haha) and it got me thinking. Most of them looked at or about 90* AOB. How much airspeed do you guys generally carry into the break? How many G's are y'all pulling? It looks and sounds straight-up fucking awesome.

Generally pull about as many g's as hundreds of kts in airspeed. FTI says 250-350 KIAS, though you don't have your transponder on so it may have happened faster than that on occaison. Generally 330-350 is a comfortable break that will get you to the mile abeam you need (without needing too many G's). There is no set AOB, but it is normally more than 60 degrees unless you are really slow....extra speed takes extra G, and thus extra bank so you don't blow through your altitude.

yak52driver

Contributor
Their heads can only move in one direction, to nod in agreement to whatever the CO and XO say, they can't shake their heads in disagreement.

That clears it up, in context it seemed like an insult of some sort, just wasn't sure how/why. Thanks! :D

ryan1234

Generally pull about as many g's as hundreds of kts in airspeed. FTI says 250-350 KIAS, though you don't have your transponder on so it may have happened faster than that on occaison. Generally 330-350 is a comfortable break that will get you to the mile abeam you need (without needing too many G's). There is no set AOB, but it is normally more than 60 degrees unless you are really slow....extra speed takes extra G, and thus extra bank so you don't blow through your altitude.

Sucks you get paid to do that......:D

gth710k

Question about the Navy's SH-60s

Alright gents,
got a question regarding the differences between most of our -60's and the army's -60's.

I've noticed that most of our -60's, with exception of the Sierras (I think), have a different tail wheel configuration that the army's. Their helo's tail wheels are all the way at the tail, while ours are at the forward end of the empennage.

I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation and any insight would be really appreciated...
Thanks

exhelodrvr

pilot
Alright gents,
got a question regarding the differences between most of our -60's and the army's -60's.

I've noticed that most of our -60's, with exception of the Sierras (I think), have a different tail wheel configuration that the army's. Their helo's tail wheels are all the way at the tail, while ours are at the forward end of the empennage.

I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation and any insight would be really appreciated...
Thanks

Navy needed a smaller "footprint" for some of the decks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Alright gents,

Thanks

Navy needed a smaller "footprint" for some of the decks.

Exactly. Seahawks were designed with a smaller "footprint" to land on the small boys. The S tailwheel (and blackhawks, since they are essentially the same airframe) is a LOT closer to the deck edge, which gives the pilot a much narrower margin for error. Despite my not having been to a REAL USS ship yet (VERY soon for DLQ!), it doesn't take a genius to figure out that close to deck egde = not cool since snagging it in the rigging etc would be a BAD day. The 60S is a LOT closer to a blackhawk than any of the Navy 60's

Bottom line, exhelodrvr knows wtf he's talking about and I just expounded upon it from book knowledge as opposed to any sort of experience.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Exactly. Seahawks were designed with a smaller "footprint" to land on the small boys. The S tailwheel (and blackhawks, since they are essentially the same airframe) is a LOT closer to the deck edge, which gives the pilot a much narrower margin for error. Despite my not having been to a REAL USS ship yet (VERY soon for DLQ!), it doesn't take a genius to figure out that close to deck egde = not cool since snagging it in the rigging etc would be a BAD day. The 60S is a LOT closer to a blackhawk than any of the Navy 60's

So next question....because I'm too lazy to go look it up in the Resume....

When a "Seahawk" is spotted on a CG, the tail hangs off. Granted it could be legally farther forward and still be okay, do Sierras have any issues coming into a CG? Is the diagonal landing not allowed (there's no line up lines for it)?

I haven't spent a lot of time on CG/DDs, so I haven't bothered to go look back there and see how much room there actually is if you land at the forward part of the circle.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So next question....because I'm too lazy to go look it up in the Resume....

When a "Seahawk" is spotted on a CG, the tail hangs off. Granted it could be legally farther forward and still be okay, do Sierras have any issues coming into a CG? Is the diagonal landing not allowed (there's no line up lines for it)?

I haven't spent a lot of time on CG/DDs, so I haven't bothered to go look back there and see how much room there actually is if you land at the forward part of the circle.

No real issues coming into a CG. The 60S fits just fine, but the tailwheel is close to the edge. You just need to put it into the wheel boxes. Which is the same for all small boys. Have to put it into the wheel boxes.

Now this ship, HMAS Tobruk, has a deck that challenges the fit of a 60S:

401180614_5dab039ff2_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.